Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    I'm glad ArenaNet didn't deliberately advertise against WoW.

"We're not in Azeroth anymore". Derp. When I first saw that, it made me want to puke.
    Even if Guild Wars 2 did deliberately advertise against WoW it wouldn't work. I've seen many people constantly talk about how they would like to play more than one MMO at a time, but they just can't justify paying for two subscription fees. With the no sub fee of GW2 the people who want to play more than one MMO are going to do just that, I don't see any reason why they would deliberately limit themselves to only playing GW2. Also to be honest I don't see why anyone who really likes MMOs would limit themselves to just GW2, regardless if they are the type who want to play more than one MMO or not.

With GW2 not having raids it's going to be pretty easy for people to jump in and out of the game as they please whereas in most other MMOs people consistently log into those if they are the type to be interested in raids where they participate in them on a weekly basis.

In my opinion I don't see GW2 competing with any one individual game. What I see is the buy to play pricing model vs. the subscription based pricing model. It's kinda like how there is this free to play market vs the subscription based market, there are tons of free to play games but there are only a handful of subscription based games. The question to be asked is will GW2 be popular enough with it's buy to play model to steer future MMO developers to adopt the buy to play model.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad ArenaNet didn't deliberately advertise against WoW.

"We're not in Azeroth anymore". Derp. When I first saw that, it made me want to puke.
    This this this this this! I get so sick of games that specifically market to kill WoW; even if they are actually good successes. Marketing a game to kill another one is NOT good marketing strategy.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Join our Horde <3
    Last edited by Lefuu; 2011-09-09 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    This this this this this! I get so sick of games that specifically market to kill WoW; even if they are actually good successes. Marketing a game to kill another one is NOT good marketing strategy.
    I disagree with this marketing strategy but I think it's worked out pretty well for Rift, so I don't think you can actually say it's not a very good strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    I disagree with this marketing strategy but I think it's worked out pretty well for Rift, so I don't think you can actually say it's not a very good strategy.
    This, the advertisements did what they needed to do and brought a lot of attention to the game.
    Now lets stop discussing rift advertisements and make fun of Asuras!

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    This, the advertisements did what they needed to do and brought a lot of attention to the game.
    Now lets stop discussing rift advertisements and make fun of Asuras!
    I'm slowly coming around to those little guys. Their emotes are absolutely hilarious (especially the laugh), I think I may have found my elementalist race!

Deleted
    Asura fans will die quicker in real life than other races, fact.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I'm slowly coming around to those little guys. Their emotes are absolutely hilarious (especially the laugh), I think I may have found my elementalist race!
    Need i remind you

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Asura fans will die quicker in real life than other races, fact.
    Are you going on a murder spree?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So far elementalist looks like it's gonna dominate pvp, how are rangers in PvP?

Quote Originally Posted by Tury123 View Post
    From the videos I've seen rangers don't look too bad, they have some awesome skills available to them and can be quite competitive.

With that said it's hard to accurately measure how well the ranger is in pvp atm because it's to my understanding that pets are a little buggy and they are being redeveloped.

They look good but after the redevelopment they should be slightly better.

Edit: Found some decent footage of an asura ranger in pvp =)

Last edited by nixcookies; 2011-09-09 at 09:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tury123 View Post
    you cant rly claim that a class will dominate pvp, espacially when we have no clue about it and gw is known for nice balancing...

Game looks like it was made for a console, any chance can use my xbox 360 controller since theres only so few attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Game looks like it was made for a console, any chance can use my xbox 360 controller since theres only so few attacks?
    Hahaha, oh god no.

Never looked at it in that way before, I can agree that it does look like it was a designed with a console in mind but I doubt that it will ever be released on the console.

As for you playing with an xbox360 controller, I think it might be possible but I doubt you'll be as effective if you used your mouse + keyboard or maybe even clicking. But if you find a way to make it work and you enjoy it, I say play whatever playstyle you like. ^^

That would make throwing down AoEs and turning your character around pretty difficult.

That would make throwing down AoEs and turning your character around pretty difficult.
    Joystick and a motion sensor thing?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Even if Guild Wars 2 did deliberately advertise against WoW it wouldn't work. I've seen many people constantly talk about how they would like to play more than one MMO at a time, but they just can't justify paying for two subscription fees. With the no sub fee of GW2 the people who want to play more than one MMO are going to do just that, I don't see any reason why they would deliberately limit themselves to only playing GW2. Also to be honest I don't see why anyone who really likes MMOs would limit themselves to just GW2, regardless if they are the type who want to play more than one MMO or not.

With GW2 not having raids it's going to be pretty easy for people to jump in and out of the game as they please whereas in most other MMOs people consistently log into those if they are the type to be interested in raids where they participate in them on a weekly basis.

In my opinion I don't see GW2 competing with any one individual game. What I see is the buy to play pricing model vs. the subscription based pricing model. It's kinda like how there is this free to play market vs the subscription based market, there are tons of free to play games but there are only a handful of subscription based games. The question to be asked is will GW2 be popular enough with it's buy to play model to steer future MMO developers to adopt the buy to play model.
    For the first part of your quote, I will say that I will probably be primarily playing GW2, and only jumping in to new MMOs to try them out. Why? Because I am first and foremost a PvP player, and GW2's PvP is like a spiritual successor to the best two PvP MMOs on the market (the original Guild Wars and DaoC). Really, I have no reason to play any other MMO, as they are taking their PvP far more casually. As I said, I'll probably check out MMOs that interest me (such as Firefall, Planetside 2, End of Nations, and The Secret World), but I doubt I'll play them for extended periods of time.

I've tried PvE, and it's not for me. When 3.3 hit, I wanted to kill Arthus, so I joined a pretty hardcore raiding guild. We went all the way to 9/12 HM, before they transferred off the server. Sure, at first it was pretty fun. But after a month or two, the pressure to be there on time just got to me. The feeling of HAVING to be there was too much (I was the only Demo Warlock in the raid, so they needed the buff I brought, and was also one of the best geared/performing DPS, so they couldn't afford to attempt new fights without me). I've pretty much sworn off raiding since then, and have no intention of seriously PvEing in an MMO again.

As for the second half of your quote, I'll repost something I originally said in the WoW vs ToR vs GW2 thread:

"GW2 being successful is basically a given. GW1 is the second most successful MMO in the west (7 million units sold). Why? Because it is the only big MMO out there that is B2P. With the amount of hype out there (and we're STILL 6+ months from release), they'll break even in their first week of sales, no problem. They're really very smart, because although B2P is the least profitable method (it lacks the accessibility of F2P and the constant garunteed revenue of P2P), they're also the only ones at that price model. Because they don't charge a sub fee, people won't ask "WoW or GW2?" "SWTOR or GW2?". They'll be asking "SWTOR+GW2 or WoW+GW2?". Sprinkle on some microtransactions for those that want a pretty character, plus a steady release of expansions, and you have assured profit.

(...) GW2 will enjoy massive success. It doesn't have the the huge IP behind it that will attract non MMO players, but it will get to the point where the majority of MMO players will at the very least have tried GW2 out. I actually think that if more successful MMOs come out, it will actually help GW2, as people will say "Well, I recently got in to the MMO scene, and really enjoy WoW/Swtor. I've heard about this Guild Wars 2 game, I should look in to this...oh, no monthly fee! Well, no harm in trying it". Look at GW1. Before release, Arenanet projected about 500k sold MAX. But because WoW was so successful and introduced so many people to MMOs, Guild Wars rode that new wave of customers to 7 million units sold."

Quote Originally Posted by Alatian View Post
    For the first part of your quote, I will say that I will probably be primarily playing GW2, and only jumping in to new MMOs to try them out. Why? Because I am first and foremost a PvP player, and GW2's PvP is like a spiritual successor to the best two PvP MMOs on the market (the original Guild Wars and DaoC). Really, I have no reason to play any other MMO, as they are taking their PvP far more casually. As I said, I'll probably check out MMOs that interest me (such as Firefall, Planetside 2, End of Nations, and The Secret World), but I doubt I'll play them for extended periods of time.

I've tried PvE, and it's not for me. When 3.3 hit, I wanted to kill Arthus, so I joined a pretty hardcore raiding guild. We went all the way to 9/12 HM, before they transferred off the server. Sure, at first it was pretty fun. But after a month or two, the pressure to be there on time just got to me. The feeling of HAVING to be there was too much (I was the only Demo Warlock in the raid, so they needed the buff I brought, and was also one of the best geared/performing DPS, so they couldn't afford to attempt new fights without me). I've pretty much sworn off raiding since then, and have no intention of seriously PvEing in an MMO again.

As for the second half of your quote, I'll repost something I originally said in the WoW vs ToR vs GW2 thread:

"GW2 being successful is basically a given. GW1 is the second most successful MMO in the west (7 million units sold). Why? Because it is the only big MMO out there that is B2P. With the amount of hype out there (and we're STILL 6+ months from release), they'll break even in their first week of sales, no problem. They're really very smart, because although B2P is the least profitable method (it lacks the accessibility of F2P and the constant garunteed revenue of P2P), they're also the only ones at that price model. Because they don't charge a sub fee, people won't ask "WoW or GW2?" "SWTOR or GW2?". They'll be asking "SWTOR+GW2 or WoW+GW2?". Sprinkle on some microtransactions for those that want a pretty character, plus a steady release of expansions, and you have assured profit.

(...) GW2 will enjoy massive success. It doesn't have the the huge IP behind it that will attract non MMO players, but it will get to the point where the majority of MMO players will at the very least have tried GW2 out. I actually think that if more successful MMOs come out, it will actually help GW2, as people will say "Well, I recently got in to the MMO scene, and really enjoy WoW/Swtor. I've heard about this Guild Wars 2 game, I should look in to this...oh, no monthly fee! Well, no harm in trying it". Look at GW1. Before release, Arenanet projected about 500k sold MAX. But because WoW was so successful and introduced so many people to MMOs, Guild Wars rode that new wave of customers to 7 million units sold."
    Yeah I know that what I said won't apply to everyone. I know there will probably be many who will primarily play GW2, but I think many more won't do that. That's what I meant that it's not going to be directly competing with any one game because like you said people aren't going to be just thinking about one MMO vs. another they will be looking to combine GW2 with another one. Also I have no doubt that GW2 will be successful, I know it will. In fact like I said in another post in this topic that I hope the buy to play model GW2 has becomes popular enough to the point that other companies in the future adopt it.

My post wasn't meant to be a flame and I hope it wasn't taken like that. I am genuinely excited to play GW2, but for me I'm definitely not making it my only MMO not because I don't think GW2 can't hold my interest on it's own or that it's a lesser game than others, but because I just love MMOs so much that any chance to play more than one MMO while keeping the cost of doing so down is something I'm going to grab by the horns.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Yeah I know that what I said won't apply to everyone. I know there will probably be many who will primarily play GW2, but I think many more won't do that. That's what I meant that it's not going to be directly competing with any one game because like you said people aren't going to be just thinking about one MMO vs. another they will be looking to combine GW2 with another one. Also I have no doubt that GW2 will be successful, I know it will. In fact like I said in another post in this topic that I hope the buy to play model GW2 has becomes popular enough to the point that other companies in the future adopt it.

My post wasn't meant to be a flame and I hope it wasn't taken like that. I am genuinely excited to play GW2, but for me I'm definitely not making it my only MMO not because I don't think GW2 can't hold my interest on it's own or that it's a lesser game than others, but because I just love MMOs so much that any chance to play more than one MMO while keeping the cost of doing so down is something I'm going to grab by the horns.
    Nah, I never took it as such. I used to jump around MMOs all the time, and I agree that the feeling of unsubscribing from one to play another is a pain. Especially before Bnet 2.0, whenever I unsubbed from WoW, I made the peon cry T_T. Good thing GW2 has no sub fee, because if Anet made me look at an Asura cry every time I unsubbed, I'd be so sad :P