Quick question I have a laptop but I was looking for a Desktop to play GW2 on, but since my money is limited what is the best I can get for 500-900(US dollars) that will run this game as close to High Settings as possible. Thanks in advanc =D. a

And yes I know I could search but I'm not the best at PC parts compared to some in these forums =D.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    I'm digging this game so far, its combat system does appear to be a little more involved and action-based than SWTOR. The major gripe I'm having with this game is its endgame content (or lack thereof).

More specifically, the lack of instanced raiding. It's the aspect I enjoy the most in a MMORPG. I love logging on with 9 or 24 other friends and having a blast on vent while we down some bosses. I know they will be adding 5-man dungeons to this game, but it's not the same. I hope ArenaNet change their minds and add raids. I do plan on buying this game regardless, but I fear that I'll hit max level, do some dungeons and some PvP and then get bored and go back to SWTOR/WoW.
    what is it about instanced raids (because GW2 has open world raid bosses and DEs) that you actually enjoy? is it the "player perceived" difficulty or just having more people in the group with you?
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by degonite View Post
    Quick question I have a laptop but I was looking for a Desktop to play GW2 on, but since my money is limited what is the best I can get for 500-900(US dollars) that will run this game as close to High Settings as possible. Thanks in advanc =D. a

And yes I know I could search but I'm not the best at PC parts compared to some in these forums =D.
    There's no system specs announced yet, so nobody can give you a best bang for buck PC yet, and new CPU/GPU should be out before GW2, so I'd personally save your money for now an hold off abit longer.

Also these threads on GW2guru has some theroycrafting on the specs going;
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...re-t10381.html
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...ts-t11373.html

Though I know it's hard to recommend a bang for buck PC in the US due to the rebate things you guys have constantly changing.

Would you be willing to learn how to build it on your own or buy one already put together

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    Why can't you go and kill a world boss with those same friends? The game already prevents random people from griefing you with the loot system and sidekicking, and the scaling AI takes players out of the equation if they're bad enough.
    It's not the same thing. For starters it would only take like what? 20 minutes? Then what?

Also, being a world boss means that the fight itself won't be challenging enough for the hardcore players since there will be novice players mixed in that will also like to down that boss. They will be adjusting for numbers but they won't be adjusting for skill (like normal/heroic difficulty).

I like the tight guild communities that are formed from raiding instances. From what I've seen from public raids, it'll just be X number of strangers grouping up for 10-20 minutes until the dragon dies, looting their share and then going off their own way.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    Try www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk [if you are UK] you can cater the specs you want and buy individual parts for pretty cheap, I got mine from there after some guidance on what you need to improve performance and its been great running WoW/RIFT on high settings.

Edit: And oh my Gawd, George you have to change your avatar back, or put the beaver somewhere in the sig! My head is so full of fuck right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Many computer sites have their own "brands" of home-guild computers usually the fee isn't that high.
    No its not a huge fee but if your trying to maximize bang for buck its best to build on your own

just make sure you dont buy your PC in the usual big store.

always go for specialized informatics stores, they in most cases provide better support and can build you easily a custom PC.
    Waiting for SWTOR (Star wars: the old republic)

www.swtor.com

or... GW2... undecided

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    what is it about instanced raids (because GW2 has open world raid bosses and DEs) that you actually enjoy? is it the "player perceived" difficulty or just having more people in the group with you?
    All of the above. I find it to be an enjoyable way to spend ~4 hours of your night 3 days a week. It gives you big cool monsters to kill in a strategic way while joking around and being part of a group.

You can't really do that with public raids because:

1: There is only 1 event, you'll have to go looking for more if you want to be there for longer than half an hour. Where as an instance raids is a series of events tailored for hours of gameplay.
    2: There are strangers you don't know participating. This means they won't be as reliable. They may even be griefers and there's nothing you can do about it. You can't simply kick them from the raid/guild and have them out of your hair.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2011-09-19 at 09:55 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Trust me it's never going to happen.
    well, if they add some "raid" dungeons like UW/Urgoz/Deep/etc as they did with GW1 and implement some exploration/hard mode on top of that, i wouldn't mind.

Also, being a world boss means that the fight itself won't be challenging enough for the hardcore players since there will be novice players mixed in that will also like to down that boss. They will be adjusting for numbers but they won't be adjusting for skill (like normal/heroic difficulty).
    You're basing that assumption off what we've seen in the past. It's not accurate.

I built a PC before but like said I'm not all great with parts I had a friend before pick out the parts and I slowly put it together haha which wasn't to hard. I'm just not that knowledgeable when it comes to parts for which is better price wise vs this and compadability with x part.

And also I wouldn't mind seeing some raiding in GW2 I wouldn't do it but I'm a pvper so hay what do I know. I only did 5mans/10mans in WoW quit raiding hardcore after TBC. (Guild Fell apart after many 5-10% wipes on pre-nerfed Kael)
    Last edited by degonite; 2011-09-19 at 10:00 PM.

I'm digging this game so far, its combat system does appear to be a little more involved and action-based than SWTOR. The major gripe I'm having with this game is its endgame content (or lack thereof).

More specifically, the lack of instanced raiding. It's the aspect I enjoy the most in a MMORPG. I love logging on with 9 or 24 other friends and having a blast on vent while we down some bosses. I know they will be adding 5-man dungeons to this game, but it's not the same. I hope ArenaNet change their minds and add raids. I do plan on buying this game regardless, but I fear that I'll hit max level, do some dungeons and some PvP and then get bored and go back to SWTOR/WoW.
    What do you mean by going back to SWTOR/WoW? With the no sub fee of GW2 you can easily play a sub based game and this one. You can have your traditional MMO fix with instanced raids in SWTOR/WoW but also come to GW2 to get a more non traditional MMO fix. I just gotta wonder why you would limit yourself to one or the other when you can have the best of both worlds for a very cheap price.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of the above. I find it to be an enjoyable way to spend ~4 hours of your night 3 days a week. It gives you big cool monsters to kill in a strategic way while joking around and being part of a group.
    There's plenty of games with that type of gameplay, and another one coming soon, so we don't need yet another one of those. It's nice with something different once in a while imo, I've grown bored of raiding and I won't ever play another MMO with raiding in it.

I built a PC before but like said I'm not all great with parts I had a friend before pick out the parts and I slowly put it together haha which wasn't to hard. I'm just not that knowledgeable when it comes to parts for which is better price wise vs this and compadability with x part.

And also I wouldn't mind seeing some raiding in GW2 I wouldn't do it but I'm a pvper so hay what do I know. I only did 5mans/10mans in WoW quit raiding hardcore after TBC. (Guild Fell apart after many 5-10% wipes on pre-nerfed Kael)
    Do you plan to salvage anything like your peripherals or just completely new?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    What do you mean by going back to SWTOR/WoW? With the no sub fee of GW2 you can easily play a sub based game and this one. You can have your traditional MMO fix with instanced raids in SWTOR/WoW but also come to GW2 to get a more non traditional MMO fix. I just gotta wonder why you would limit yourself to one or the other when you can have the best of both worlds for a very cheap price.
    Have you played an MMO? They are very time intensive, at least if you want to achieve anything. And that is fine, I mean if it doesn't take time and effort then it isn't valued or worth doing. But playing two MMOs at the same time might be a bit much. I'm a really big gamer, I play several hours a day every day, often spending all day gaming, but still, two MMOs is just too much.

The trouble I am having with imaging a game with no raiding at endgame is that there is nothing to do that provides sufficient challenge, nothing that is going to take some time and effort to learn and practice your skills, refine your knowledge and eventually beat. It's a big part of MMO gaming for me. I understand that there are dynamic events, PvP, dungeons etc, but raids have consistently provided the biggest challenges, the best visuals, the greatest lore moments. I cannot imagine dynamic events giving the same feeling of achievement or grandeur.

Also, how is character advancement going to work? In conventional MMOs you have either progressively better gear from tiers of raid content, or alternate advancement. How will it work in GW2?

Essentially what challenges await you once you hit 80 in Guild Wars?

I just bought 2 laptops, mine is a 17'' with i7 2720QM, 8GB ddr @ 1600mhz, 128GB SSD + 500GB HHD 7200rpm and a nvidia GT 555M. all for 1200 euros.

Now I realise that for that money I would buy a much better gaming desktop, but thing is, I do need a laptop for university, no way around that, and if I can have a good/ok gaming laptop that allows me to play anywhere and not just at home I dont mind paying the extra buck for the moment. Personally I'm a desktop guy, but when I see those laptops for 600/700euros I just die a bit inside becuz they are complete crap imo, hence why I bought something better.

Now, unless you really do need the portability, yes, desktops do have a MUCH better price/performance ratio.

Still, keep in a mind, a 17'' laptop with a GT 555M is more then enought to handle any MMO to come in the near future ( at medium to high settings) I'm almost sure.
    Waiting for SWTOR (Star wars: the old republic)

www.swtor.com

or... GW2... undecided

Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    *snip*

As far as content after release, I'm not sure. Anyone know how often GW1 was patched?
    Not often. As far as I can remember, there were no major content patches akin to what Blizzard releases with WoW. Most major updates were small changes to UI and interface. I could be wrong, though; it's been months/years since I've played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    You're basing that assumption off what we've seen in the past. It's not accurate.
    Explain what you mean?

For everyone currently worried about end game content. First thing to think of is this. This is not your standard MMO conept. Once you realize that you will learn to appreciate the game for what it is.

The game offers something more than raiding and I will take that anyday. A community. At max lvl you can pvp, get scaled down to play with friends who are just starting out, or just explore the world. this may not be everyone but then you just ask what do you want from said game.

Currently we do not know how difficult the 5 man encounters will be with out the holy trinity everyone is currently use to. So maybe that itself is the difficutly that is your quote on quote raiding that everyone is asking about.