10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malic View Post
    Its not like i want to troll this game or something.
    Lol... so you think you're some kind of trolling super hero for the greater good? Please go on, this is entertaining.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Sure.. and pigs fly.
    They do...with a little help

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    Not only is melee tough in pvp but pve as well. Ignorance is bliss.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...rrible_in_pve/
    From Warrior PoV I find this utterly stupid and not true.
    I learned (hard way) that some NPCs are easier killed in melee than range and vice versa. Had better results going melee on some mobs/packs while on others with ranged.
    Lvl18-20xp with this.

Translation: I cant faceroll anymore. I like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Sure.. and pigs fly.
    Angry birds begs to differ~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    I learned (hard way) that some NPCs are easier killed in melee than range and vice versa. Had better results going melee on some mobs/packs while on others with ranged.
    Lvl18-20xp with this.

Yeah, I was destroying people with my greatsword warrior. pve events can be a little wonky for melee, but that's about all the grips I have for melee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lvl18-20xp with this.

I agree, I use my greatsword 80% of the time on my warrior, and I kill mobs a lot faster than when I use bow or rifle, and I hardy ever die.

I do find the game quite a bit harder than most mmo's at this level though, maybe some people just have trouble learning melee in this game
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I am LOVING it! Tho, I really believe that the first level areas are too hard. Dying all the time is quite frustrating and you shouldnt be dying from a single mob of your level even when you dodge

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeh View Post
    I've been seeing people with huge flaming swords or some sort of huge 2hander that looks like Nightmare's from Soul Calibur. What are they and where are they getting them from?!?
    Either http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fiery_Dragon_Sword which I doubt. More likely http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fiery_Greatsword / http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fiery_sword

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeh View Post
    I've been seeing people with huge flaming swords or some sort of huge 2hander that looks like Nightmare's from Soul Calibur. What are they and where are they getting them from?!?
    that is one of the elementalist Ultimate, you summon one for yourself and another for someone to pick it up, quite fun Ultimate plus amazing damage and skill effects
    I dont need revenge, I need redemption

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Yeah, I was destroying people with my greatsword warrior. pve events can be a little wonky for melee, but that's about all the grips I have for melee.
    Thats the thing. In PvE I usually run (atm) with 2H sword and a Long bow.

I have hard times killing something from time to time, but thats cause Im not used to paying attention and planning more what I do. Some mobs are better/easier/faster killed in melee, while others are better to be killed at range or switch tanked around. Even in ONE PACK such stuff can apply.

Until people learn/discover that they will have problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind this MMO-RPG has got a new "playstyle" we're all looking at how hard the game is just by having a "common playstyle" past (A.K.A. WoW - SW:ToR) where stats like dodge/parry/etcétera aren't influed by your skill but your gear (wich you get by being "skilled" in the way the game is meant to be played, that "skill barrier" is somewhat insible, you can have a full geared character that stands in the fire and it will rock, or have a no geared char and it will be bad on a raid, GW2 takes out most of that element, getting skill to a higher spot than luck, wich is a big factor in the old design mmo's).
    So yeah, the game seems harder than any other MMO, but as long as we keep learning from it and it's playstyle, it'll be easier

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm relieved to see other people are having issues handling themselves in PvE with melee classes as well. I swapped from a thief to an elementalist and I'm having pretty much 0 issues doing almost everything. I was stuck trying to kill one of the boss-type characters on my thief's storyline last night for over an hour last night. I was finally able to do it after kiting her around a cage using one ability for 10 minutes. With a pistol. Wtf.

Either way. Loving my elementalist. She's 13 right now and loving the versatility between the different element attunements. Swapping between them for different benefits is nice!

its funny how people say the game sucks when they only focus on the combat. This game has alot more into it than just hack n slash.
    Ive had lots of fun in this, its simple and i dont need to learn 100000 abilities when to use what. the charr starting area storyline gave me samekind of feeling as i had as an orc in durotar back in the day...but it was alot better because its personal storyline, and not some random quests.

Ive only played like one zone, and it feels like that ive adventured half the continent....compared to WoW. Then i open up the map and see 50 times larger area i have yet to explore.
    I have completed a few group events aswell as one world event...which were very tough, but with enough players we managed to kill those things in time. And no FPS issues, even while frapsing the whole thing.
    Cant wait to get 30+ level and pick that elite banner skill to ress all players near me so they can continue fighting.... so nice.

If the fight isnt melee friendly, like the group events really werent...then i just switched to bow and blasted them, sometimes ressing fallen allies and putting down banners and so on.
    Much more fun than in Rift or WoW or swtor.

And then i see someone pick up my banner and swing with it hilarious...and the banner keeps buffing us even if someone picks it up so no problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Keep in mind this MMO-RPG has got a new "playstyle" we're all looking at how hard the game is just by having a "common playstyle" past (A.K.A. WoW - SW:ToR) where stats like dodge/parry/etcétera aren't influed by your skill but your gear (wich you get by being "skilled" in the way the game is meant to be played, that "skill barrier" is somewhat insible, you can have a full geared character that stands in the fire and it will rock, or have a no geared char and it will be bad on a raid, GW2 takes out most of that element, getting skill to a higher spot than luck, wich is a big factor in the old design mmo's).
    So yeah, the game seems harder than any other MMO, but as long as we keep learning from it and it's playstyle, it'll be easier
    Yeah I played the Tera Online betas it was fun.. dodging just like in gw2. But it's funny you mention fire since it's insanely powerful in this game. It seems like if a bandit drops a match at my feet my HP drops to half. Pretty annoying.
    WoW Hunter WarriorPaladin Death Knight
    D3 Crusader
    Gw2 Lvl 80 Dragon Hunter, Lvl 80 Warrior, Lvl 80 Revenant
    Bnet GrapeSoda#1671
    Gw2 GrapeSoda.5980
    Hit me up, let's play.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloral View Post
    I am LOVING it! Tho, I really believe that the first level areas are too hard. Dying all the time is quite frustrating and you shouldnt be dying from a single mob of your level even when you dodge
    I've tried a variety of melee weapons on my warrior and so long as I'm using my dodge and cc abilities appropriately, I don't really ever die when fighting one or two (maaybe three) mobs at a time. My friend on the other hand with a similar setup to me is getting really frustrated with melee and dying all the time.
    I think it's just a matter of skill, not trying to say I'm good or anything, just that my friend is frankly bad and dying a lot as a result.
    My problem with getting owned as melee thus far is limited to boss type mobs which feel as though they one shot you without warning at times, where as range get the advantage of plenty of time to see, dodge, or interrupt incoming death attacks.
    Over all I think melee is a bit harder, might want to add a baseline "block" move to all melee weapon sets (that is too say, an extra one on top of your 5 weapon abilities) so that melee can better defend themselves. Though this might ruined the balance in other areas...
    I think in general a lot of people are just kinda bad/not used to the game style and getting wrecked in melee range as a result.

Deleted
    Hey guys, since I can't log in atm, I thought you might like to see this:

http://http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/craft_tool/

Luna Atra are doing this little craft tool for the beta, and it looks quite good. They're the same people from the character building tool.

Thought it might be interesting.

Also, I picked up a random banner and was thoroughly confused, it was SO much fun though. I bet the warrior next to me was just laughing. =)

Thats the thing. In PvE I usually run (atm) with 2H sword and a Long bow.

I have hard times killing something from time to time, but thats cause Im not used to paying attention and planning more what I do. Some mobs are better/easier/faster killed in melee, while others are better to be killed at range or switch tanked around. Even in ONE PACK such stuff can apply.

Until people learn/discover that they will have problems.
    I play a warrior as well, and agree that Longbow and 2h is supreme for PVE. No other weapon combos offers the flexibility and survival of those two. With 2h it's a matter of stick and move gameplay and longbow offers fantastic kiting & multi mob damage.

Some of the toughest mobs to deal with are the random caster in the northern 15+ area for Charr. There is little tactical consideration for these area. It's just kill them as best one can.

Deleted
    While I'm loving my dual wielding daggers on my Necromancer the moment I get a snifter of any sort of group content I switch to my staff to lay down some of those debuffs from a safe distance.

10+ Year Old Account
    This game gives me a feeling I'm not used to. I usually tune out during gameplay in MMO leveling with music and videos on my alternate monitor, but here the game demands my full attention, LIKE A GAME SHOULD. If I'm not paying attention I deserved to get my face stomped in. Keep in mind I've been playing exclusively melee on a Mesmer, Thief, and Guardian. I have a shortbow on my thief that kills things incredible slow, but it's good for packs of mobs. I prefer melee, but latency doesn't like me sometimes.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Sword based Mesmer in melee is surprisingly more durable than Warrior.

I would say they need to crank up the armor value of Solider classes heavy armor [or bump up HP pools]. The game isn't so sophisticated all damage is avoidable. There is not enough trade off for the softer classes compared to the heavier armored ones. Though I doubt this can be fixed elegantly. The stat and combat system don't really support it.