Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Actually, GW2 has an out of range notification.

It's the number in your casting bar. If it's red you're out of range.

Hopefully they won't ever implant a enemy caster bar, since you should pay attention how the enemy moves and what they do, and not stare at a bar to know when to dodge.
    I find this ironic. In the first half you defend anet for having an out of range notification that is part of the UI and requires you to stare at your action bars and then you change gears within a sentence and say you hope a different feature is never implemented because anet wants you to watch the action and not the UI.

The game is great but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What's the Sith mirror to that? I never played a Republic character pass the tutorial.

No gaming mouse or KB? Tsk tsk.
    Sith Marauder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    I find this ironic. In the first half you defend anet for having an out of range notification that is part of the UI and requires you to stare at your action bars and then you change gears within a sentence and say you hope a different feature is never implemented because anet wants you to watch the action and not the UI.

Defending? I'm stating they have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post

Can you think of a way for a game to tell you, BEFORE you use a skill, that enemy ___ is out of range of ___?
    The only ways would be
    1) simply not letting you use a skill if you're out of range, which anet doesn't want to do.
    2) making ALL of your attacks have the exact same range, and giving an indication of when an enemy is out of range of ____.
    Enemy cast bars can be replaced by watching for when an enemy is moving in a way that signifies he is casting, range can not without drastically changing the game mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Defending? I'm stating they have one.
    True. "Defending" was a bit histrionic. Sorry for that.

BUT the irony is still there ... though it belongs to anet

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Can you think of a way for a game to tell you, BEFORE you use a skill, that enemy ___ is out of range of ___?
    The only ways would be
    1) simply not letting you use a skill if you're out of range, which anet doesn't want to do.
    2) making ALL of your attacks have the exact same range, and giving an indication of when an enemy is out of range of ____.
    Enemy cast bars can be replaced by watching for when an enemy is moving in a way that signifies he is casting, range can not without drastically changing the game mechanics.
    I don't even see why it should. The "out of range" that came when I was actually out of range was enough for me.

Just make it so the arrow pointing to your target has a slash through it if outside the maximum range of your abilities. Or add the little mouse over cursor indicator like Rift.

Not really game breaking. Everything in the game should facilitate the feeling of not being a pain in the ass. Usability is highly important to MMOs.

Just make it so the arrow pointing to your target has a slash through it if outside the maximum range of your abilities.
    Seems like a reasonable solution or grey out the arrow at least.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Just make it so the arrow pointing to your target has a slash through it if outside the maximum range of your abilities. Or add the little mouse over cursor indicator like Rift.

Not really game breaking. Everything in the game should facilitate the feeling of not being a pain in the ass. Usability is highly important to MMOs.
    Both of those would require the re-working of weapons and utilities though, as they currently do not all have the same range. :P

Both of those would require the re-working of weapons and utilities though, as they currently do not all have the same range. :P
    Maybe have it change when you are farther then 1200(whatever measurement unit) away and have the rest be up to you. 1200 because I think that is the max weapon range.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

No it doesn't. You only need to display the range indicator for the maximum ranged ability currently useable. Which is how Aion, Rift, EQ2 and Tera do it.

No it doesn't. You only need to display the range indicator for the maximum ranged ability currently useable. Which is how Aion, Rift, EQ2 and Tera do it.
    That's understandable then.
    I assumed the issue was not knowing when all of your abilities would hit if you used them, which a max range indicator would not help much.

It wasn't an issue for me due to me using the staff on a necro, which has 4/5 of it's attacks being circles. Can definitely tell when those are out of range. I'm such a cheater. :P
    But yes, some kind of max range indicator would be nice. As for showing range on a per-skill basis, would not be all too possible to do it more than it is already done without being extremely intrusive.

As for showing range on a per-skill basis, would not be all too possible to do it more than it is already done without being extremely intrusive.
    That would also be cheating.

10+ Year Old Account

I would say it should have different colors. Easier to notice.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

You mean the target indicator arrow?

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean the target indicator arrow?
    But of course. I can't imagine which colors would be perfect, but I can't help but think "Green light! Green light to engage!"
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I def. hated having abilities go on CD when I used them out of range. Why let me cast when I'm out of range? Why let me use my illusions with no target selected? Pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by ganglord View Post
    I def. hated having abilities go on CD when I used them out of range. Why let me cast when I'm out of range? Why let me use my illusions with no target selected? Pissed me off.
    Cost of opportunity to balance resource-less combat.

Quote Originally Posted by ganglord View Post
    For the same reason that when you miss with bullets in a shooting game you still have to reload.. :P

For the same reason that when you miss with bullets in a shooting game you still have to reload.. :P
    Or can fire into the air/wall/whatever when you don't have a target, omg imagine that!

From that list posted earlier it seems several (not all) are UI issues, which is a choice by ANet to make the players watch the world rather than the UI. I don't even see the need for a target-of-target window, when attacks will hit *anyone in the way*! Don't want to get hit? Don't stand in the path of the sword/hammer/axe/arrow/fire/frost/lightning/earth/jaws/did I miss anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.