10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    I understand the point you're trying to make but issues with latency can be caused by a thousand different reasons and not necessarily by game provider.

As a side note - I've now tried all classes and races up to level 5 and the question is - does it get better? Because if not, I think I've just wasted 60 bucks.
    Better than what? If you've honestly found something in the first 5 levels (regardless of how many times you tried it) that deters you away from the game entirely, there's absolutely no reason you couldn't have found the same thing by simply watching a few videos and doing a little research before tossing 60 bucks into a video game.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

As a side note - I've now tried all classes and races up to level 5 and the question is - does it get better? Because if not, I think I've just wasted 60 bucks.
    Well, what is it specifically that you are troubled by? Give us specifics to discuss.

Deleted
    With level 5 it's unlikely to have tried all weapons and utilities and especially not elites.

Give them a chance, it's really not that bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    With level 5 it's unlikely to have tried all weapons and utilities and especially not elites.

Someone who pretty much makes their mind up after 2% of a game doesn't need to experience anything else to be unhappy with something. It's just the way it works with some people. If he's already questioning his enjoyment, why alter it? Like I said above, 20 minutes of reading and videos could have prevented the money spent. No biggie.

But.. but.. I thought that "It's not this great game without any flaws whats-o-ever! Get a real Interwebs!" is a valid argument. :[
    Dear god, this is like the second time you've accused me of being the ultimate GW2 fanboy, direct/indirect. I just asked you a question and said i never experienced it, why do you assume that i think of GW2 as the best game ever?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    Dear god, this is like the second time you've accused me of being the ultimate GW2 fanboy, direct/indirect. I just asked you a question and said i never experienced it, why do you assume that i think of GW2 as the best game ever?
    That wasn't even directed towards you, sorry if it seemed that way.

It was aimed more towards the people in /map-Chat. You know, the ones saying "It's your internet, so shut up"?

My personal experience is that yes it gets better. Took me over 50 hours to go from it's ok to it's really good, my interest in other MMOs is fading. Pretty much a deja vu of GW1 experience. As for the classes I tried them all till around lvl 10 and there are some with really interesting mechanics and some with not so interesting mechanics for me ... I do believe that there is a class for everybody if you look carefully.

The bottom line is GW2 will not spoon feed you every detail of the game, you need to discover it yourself and it takes time. If you don't have it then yes you wasted 60 bucks.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Only level 5?
    I was honestly bored. I have my reasons for that and I'll explain them in this post. Hence, why I asked if it gets any better - because I don't have much motivation to continue further.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Better than what? If you've honestly found something in the first 5 levels (regardless of how many times you tried it) that deters you away from the game entirely, there's absolutely no reason you couldn't have found the same thing by simply watching a few videos and doing a little research before tossing 60 bucks into a video game.
    It was a spontaneous purchase for me. That happens sometimes. Besides, researching video games and many other stuff doesn't really do it for me in 50% of the cases. For example I absolutely hated The Secret World when I watched videos/read about it but I very much loved it when decided to buy it anyways. That's just how I work. I guess that would be my only excuse if someone decides to call me a hypocrite for whining about my money when I didn't know the game inside-out before buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, what is it specifically that you are troubled by? Give us specifics to discuss.
    Absolutely. First, let's just say that there are certain things that add to my feeling of the game but I can't put my finger on them at the time. Then, here's a list of things that I don't necessarily dislike, but that bother me in some way at least:

a) I feel the world is a typical NCSoft-type deal (I was introduced to their games with Lineage 2 in early 2004). It's really pretty but it's more bright colours and textures pretty and it's not very alive despite all the events.
    b) I don't think I enjoy the questing system. I've read about it and I thought it was okay. Mainly because I don't think it differs that much from an original system. Just NPCs that 'need your help' don't always require you talking to them. My problem here is that I like reading and I like knowing as much as possible. And when you run into the area and suddenly the bar pops up and stuff is running around you feel that going to the NPC to start the talk would be pretty unnatural and you jump in.
    c) Public events. Not sure if they get any better, but so far they are pretty dumbed down versions of WH public quests or Rift rifts. Running around the forest trying to hit those minotaurs with a sword isn't exactly my idea of fun.
    d) Personal story and dialogues. So no matter your race or class you start instanced and in about 30 seconds to two minutes you reach your first boss which is a dragon, or a wurm, or a golem, or another golem, or a statue of a dude that might just be a golem. It's a pinnacle of the combat introduction but ... they hardly hit you if ever. And the praise you get after killing an absolutely helpless dude! I understand that it's a training excercise for newbies, I do. It's just that with the introduction like that I just couldn't immerse myself into the game afterwards.
    Races and the backstories.
    I genuinely think Charr have an interesting backstory with the whole military race battling same ghosts over and over for their homeland.
    Asura and their colleges are okay but a bit confusing. I think they were trying to show an atmosphere of light treachery and heavy competition within the whole race but to me it looks a bit silly when they start fighting around their councilmen (or whoever they are). Maybe I just didn't grasp the concept.
    Sylvari are young and they are born into the world from a dream. Okay.
    Humans and Norn are genuinely boring. Strong hunting north people and humans fighting for their homeland. That's new.
    Dialogues. In my opinion voiceovers while decent aren't really of the highest quality. Once again, I'm spoiled in this regard.
    e) Classes and skills. You can't really see or understand what any class is like early in the game. All classes have so much in common. You can see that the absense of the trinity system has forced Arenanet to give every class a heal right away (if it's not homogenisation I don't know what is). You have a primary attack that might consist of follow-up attacks (it's so confusing to track those 3-hit moves) and in many cases you also open a channeling move that does progressively more damage with every attack or maybe an aoe. How do I decide which class I like?
    Yeah, I remember my rogue back in the days with a 45 energy sinister strike and an eviscerate. And forgive me, but those are already quite definitive moves and in a couple of levels you were getting a skill that would really make a differense.
    I don't see it in GW2. The most definitive thing about GW2 classes I saw today is that a Necro has a pretty annoying flying pet that has to be sacced early even when you don't need a heal because it has like 2 hp and every mob decides to chew on it.
    The whole system of dodging or avoiding hits seems like a gimmick. Latency is a problem and it would fuck you over. Hits do come from nowhere sometimes. You don't get a scratch on you from anyone but then you meet a mob of the same level as others and it bites half of your health in one hit.
    f) Zones. A game that promotes travelling and exploring but employs an engine with heavy loading screens more often that not is a bit confusing to me.

I'm positive I can come up with more things even given my short experience with the game but I'll leave it at that for now.
    As a conclusion I would like to once again stress that I am not hating on the game. Also, none of those points make or break the game for me. Those are simply things I am concerned about as of now. However, in conjunction with certain stuff I, as I've already stated, can not put my finger on makes me bored early in the game and unwilling to proceed.

I most certainly haven't unlocked all the skills and I'm pretty sure I will give them a chance unless I have something more interesting to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    My personal experience is that yes it gets better. Took me over 50 hours to go from it's ok to it's really good
    That's more like it. I'll give it more time, thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I've played other NCSoft games. City of Heroes primarily, but I've also tried Aion, and Guild Wars 1. And really, this game doesn't feel like other NCSoft games. The game definitely got more fun for me as I leveled up.

The reason it doesn't feel like an NCSoft game is that it's not an NCSoft game, any more than say... WoW is a Vivendi game. This game was developed by Arena Net, and published by NCSoft. I see nobody who hates a writer running about and spouting foul things about the book's publisher, but the book's author.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-19 at 10:58 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

The reason it doesn't feel like an NCSoft game is that it's not an NCSoft game, any more than say... WoW is a Vivendi game. This game was developed by Arena Net, and published by NCSoft. I see nobody who hates a writer running about and spouting foul things about the book's publisher, but the book's author.
    It was a comparision for the sake of comparision, not for the sake of hating. I thought I've said that enough times already. Besides, even if we are 100% positive that NCSoft didn't have any influence on the development as a business, are we sure they didn't influence the game as a game developer i.e. ArenaNet drawing from their experience? Because that would be a pretty obvious thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never said you were hating, I just wanted to point out that this really isn't an NCSoft game.

That last line was more an observation about the online gaming community in general than an observation of you. Far too many people are quick to hate a publisher, when the developers are the ones responsible for a product.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

As a conclusion I would like to once again stress that I am not hating on the game. Also, none of those points make or break the game for me. Those are simply things I am concerned about as of now. However, in conjunction with certain stuff I, as I've already stated, can not put my finger on makes me bored early in the game and unwilling to proceed.
    That's more than fair. It can just be the gameplay style is not your cup of tea, so to speak. Nothing I see wrong with that.

A few things I wanna note:

W/R/T point A.

The game is made by Arena.net. NCSoft is a hands-off publisher/distribution arm as Anet have and do enjoy a great deal of autonomy. Very unlikely NCsoft influences style in a gameplay or aesthetic sense.

I can hardly think of an MMO that does GW2 one better in world presentation. If observing the world one can see in-game & in practice NPCs going about their business. Having conversations of the game's current events, recent aftermath of DEs or the possibly of an incoming DE. Not necessarily the guy running over saying, "I need help!" either.

For example, in Ebonhawke [level 35-ish area] you will hear & see NPCs talking about the treaty. The old settlement, the bubbling civil unrest. Racial bigotry [Charr v. Human] and so on. All of which relates to the over arching story of the world, zone and dynamic events. They aren't all triggered to play when first walking in earshot. Some might not be heard till a half dozen strolls or so.

Events happen and have happened. NPCs comment on them in the past, present and future tense. Many NPCs have routines, a wide set of conversations, etc. Some of this conversation isn't related to anything directly other than to establish a style, atmosphere or impression. Which would be exactly how a game creates a "living world" for the most part.

Not sure what else can be done to create a sense of a liveliness in the world. So it may be unrealistic expectation unless you are driving at a different criticism.

W/R/T character classes.

Open the character panel and scroll down to the PVP tab. Click "Enter the Mists". The Mists is the PVP game lobby. Don't have to PVP. In fact, you can't PVP.

Aside from being a gateway/lobby to PVP battlegrounds, the Mists insta-boosts players to level 80 to test out all weapons, stats, skills and traits for a given profession. There are various trianing dummies and NPCs to practice on as well.

I would advise going right to the Mist as soon as the tutorial is over. Then play around a little, see what works, look at the style of the classes, etc. Very insightful for getting a feel of how a max level class behaves and the general pace of combat. Such to one's liking/enjoyment/whatever.

The other thing is simply, yes. Yes, classes take awhile to get going. Weapons determine a lot of basic abilities [1-5] which follow a fairly simple patterns across all professions. It's not till like level 5 or 6 [iirc] that one has some utility skills. Something like level 10 when traits are first gained. Level 20 when one can modify those traits.

Traits and weapon combination change what a class has access to by a large degree. There is also the fact classes don't get a full utility bar until level 30 as well. So it is a long haul type deal.

Best advice is to jump in the Mists to see how classes behave at various levels and with differing configurations.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-09-20 at 01:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level#Progression

5 First utility skill slot unlocked. Begin earning 1 skill point per level.
    7 Weapon swapping unlocked. (Except for Elementalists and Engineers.)
    10 Second utility skill slot unlocked.
    11 Trait system unlocked by using an Adept's Training Manual. Begin earning 1 trait point per level.
    20 Third utility skill slot unlocked.
    30 Elite skill slot unlocked. Earliest access to a dungeon: the Ascalonian Catacombs story mode.
    40 Able to unlock master-tier traits by using a Master's Training Manual. Able to use tier 1 cultural armor and weapons.
    60 Able to unlock grandmaster-tier traits by using a Grandmaster's Training Manual. Able to use tier 2 cultural armor and weapons.
    80 Maximum level. Able to use tier 3 cultural armor and weapons. Continue to earn 1 skill point per a certain amount of experience.

I enjoy that the Auction House still isn't fully functional at times.

This is a post devoid of sarcasm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy that the Auction House still isn't fully functional at times.

This is a post devoid of sarcasm.
    Going on something like 7 hours without it now? Pewp.

/legitimatesadface

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't much care for the trading post anyways. I vendor crap now. Not worth the listing fee.

Best advice is to jump in the Mists to see how classes behave at various levels and with differing configurations.
    Great advice. I didn't know anythign about Mists and I'll do just that when I have some free time. Thanks.

I'll certainly give the game more time. It's not like I have to keep paying for the sub. Maybe it grows on me, you never know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish zones on the map would show you if you've completed them. A symbol next to their name or something.
    If I'm in Lion's Arch, Id like to know of I've completed all of Metrica Pronvince or something, instead of having to go through and look for all the hearts manually, and if I don't have one discovered I won't know at all until I go there sometime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arena Net has reignited my interest in the MMORPG, which had been getting more and more stale for me over the last five plus years. Focusing more on "Story," in Cat and TOR, completely failed to reinvigorate the genre for me. GW2, with its greater focus on exploration and large scale PvP, were things I had loved about early WoW and been missing ever since. It was a very pleasant surprise to find a game bringing them to the fore again.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    I still don't much care for the trading post anyways. I vendor crap now. Not worth the listing fee.

some items are ridiculous on the TP. some things are on there for under the vendor price it seems. or 90% of the time you make a loss with the listing fees.i only list a few things. but i buy a lot on there, every 5levels or so i spend about 50silver upgrading a load of my gear, usually decent green items for a couple of silver.