but.. they're not giving gw2 a gear treadmill

Quote Originally Posted by Daffkeeks View Post
    amg yay legendary armor

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 04:44 PM ----------

but that means legendary will be the ultimate end gear. so once you have that you won't have to get better gear anymore, right?
    The idea - as far as I understand it - is exactly that. Legendaries are hard as nails and grindy to get, Exotics were too easy, the stat jump was felt to be too large. So ascended goes between Legendary and Exotic.

I'm on that fence with toaster, but my tail is most certainly leaning towards the 'oh god just wait to see stuff before pressing all the red panic buttons you plebs' side.

*Edit*
    Ok, why did I login to this again?!
    *Facepaw*

Your word, with no actual arguments whatsoever, versus the word of studio design director Chris Whiteside.

Don't even bother asking which is more credible.
    Are you kidding right now? Ascended gear is more powerful than Exotics. They're numbers, you don't get to decide that numbers don't mean what they mean just because you don't want them to.

The idea - as far as I understand it - is exactly that. Legendaries are hard as nails and grindy to get, Exotics were too easy, the stat jump was felt to be too large. So ascended goes between Legendary and Exotic.
    There was no stat jump between Exotic and Legendary. That entire "filling in a gap" thing is just more wordsmithing on A.Nets part.

but, so if they had this ascended gear and legedary gear in from launch on, everything would be alright. it's that they add this later-on in the game that is the problem?

but, so if they had this ascended gear and legedary gear in from launch on, everything would be alright. it's that they add this later-on in the game that is the problem?
    Well yeah, that's kinda the point. The entire premise of the system was that there was a hard ceiling. You got there and *stopped*. Adding more stuff later is completely against what they advertised.

but after this is added they won't add any new gear thing anymore if I understand correctly.

I really don't think the word of any developer at Anet is worth respecting honestly.

The inclusion of this design is directly contradictory and hypocritical of what the series was pitched as for years. From first beta of GW1 to GW2 last week.

Really not a studio deserving of much respect at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well yeah, that's kinda the point. The entire premise of the system was that there was a hard ceiling. You got there and *stopped*. Adding more stuff later is completely against what they advertised.
    Are you even reading what you're typing?

The ceiling after the new tier of gear will be the exact same as before the new tier of gear. Nothing. Has. Changed.

I think I need to stop signing in here.

The inclusion of this design is directly contradictory and hypocritical of what the series was pitched as for years. From first beta of GW1 to GW2 last week.
    I find myself even more annoyed with the Agony mechanic than the Ascended gear itself.

The entire game was designed and pitched around the idea that there was a very low gear ceiling and after that your performance was based on skill alone. Nothing else.

The entire Agony mechanic is a direct contradiction of this. It's unavoidable damage that cannot be directly dealt with in any way other than Ascendant gear.

Are you even reading what you're typing?

The ceiling after the new tier of gear will be the exact same as before the new tier of gear. Nothing. Has. Changed.

I think I need to stop signing in here.
    You're not really making sense here, I'm not 100% sure that you're aware of the full nature of the changes.

Well, the agony mechanic is tied to that specific gear. So it's essentially the same limiter.

All the same, foreign to the series concept up till last week or whatever. As there wasn't really any kind of "you need X to do Y" hard limits before. I suppose level and story steps w/r/t GW1. GW2 mostly level limits.

Well, the agony mechanic is tied to that specific gear. So it's essentially the same limiter.

All the same, foreign to the series concept up till last week or whatever. As there wasn't really any kind of "you need X to do Y" hard limits before. I suppose level and story steps w/r/t GW1. GW2 mostly level limits.
    That's what is frustrating about it. Previously a player could walk up to almost any content and "out-skill" it, if you will. I could walk up to an Eye of Zhaitain in Cursed Shore completely naked and defeat it as long as I did everything right. Same with many instance bosses and outdoor champions. (Barring events that simply have a billion mobs and are designed for raid sized groups, naturally)

That is a big part of what the devs pitched early on. That you could do things like that independant of your gear. They even showed a video of a Thief fighting a giant and dodging every attack to demonstrate the concept.

I feel like Agony directly contradicts that. Even if Ascendant gear wasn't being introduced and there were other ways of mitigating it, it's still a mechanic that is out of your hands. It's a mechanic that's more rooted in WoW's number-based content and not in GW2's action-based system.

I don't care about the gear, but this dungeon looks amazing.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/l...-mist-dungeon/

So from what ive been seeing theres going to be a gear treadmill now? (nothing against this)

My only question is after seeing someone mention legendary armour, will it still be as rediculous to get as the weapons? And then wouldnt that render any form of progression they are planning to add, pointless.

Stood in the Fire
    but after this is added they won't add any new gear thing anymore if I understand correctly.
    Not every 3 months... that's all that is actually said in the message.

They still could do it every 6 months, or every year.
    And seeing how they get a small stat increase in this fast, makes me think they will do it again.

The fact that they are doing this after merely 3 months is extremely worrying.
    Surely they can't have reached a point yet where they had to revise their entire game strategy?
    So this sounds more like a plan they had all along, but simply 'forgot' to mention seeing their Manifesto and the pre-launch blogs...
    Last edited by Kimbald; 2012-11-14 at 07:07 PM.

They say some of these fractal dungeons will be part of GW1 lore or events that have happened in tyria. Can someone tell me then /caps what the hell that bigass giant bald stone faced thingumabob-er was?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbald View Post
    Not every 3 months... that's all that is actually said in the message.

They still could do it every 6 months, or every year.
    And seeing how they get a small stat increase in this fast, makes me think they will do it again.

The fact that they are doing this after merely 3 months is extremely worrying.
    Surely they can't have reached a point yet where they had to revise their entire game strategy?
    So this sounds more like a plan they had all along, but simply 'forgot' to mention seeing their Manifesto and the pre-launch blogs...
    I'm pretty sure the 3 months thing was to make it clear they do not want to make some kind of gear treadmill of any kind. after this is added (which is something they ment to add all along) it's done.

Stood in the Fire
    I'm pretty sure the 3 months thing was to make it clear they do not want to make some kind of gear treadmill of any kind. after this is added (which is something they ment to add all along) it's done.
    I read it as that too, if being hopefull
    But in essence there is nothing to suggest what they do or do not intend to do later.
    If anything, they're leaving the door open...

That's why I find it important that it happens so soon: it shows me there was another agenda going from the start.
    So while hoping you're right, I'm not entirely convinced of that.

Lore had some great insights into this gear progression debacle on After Dark last night.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-shows/convince-me/

I personally think it's much ado about nothing. Perhaps if they change it in the future I might get concerned. I don't think it has a terribly large impact on the 95% (thumb suck) of people who are more casual. It will give those players who want a difficult progression a way to do that. I have played 182 hours (just checked) and so far have 3 exotics. It's my own little progression. After that I was going to start focusing on getting a nice set of gear (my exotics are Karma ones so they don't look terribly great, IMHO). I still have to do dungeons but after doing DS 50+ times in WOW I really just seem myself doing the odd run. I like that there is something I can work towards after I have a full really cool exotic set if I chose to go that route in the game. The legendary has always been out of the question for me. I just don't have the time.

I am positive that if I log off for 6 months and sign back in, I will still be able to do every bit of content available, just as i can right now. That makes the the gear pretty meaningless from a stat point of view. Anyone who wants to do the very hard modes will, by virtue of doing the previous difficulty level leading up to that level, automatically have access to the gear "required" to do that level.