Quote Originally Posted by Corros View Post
    I believe the problem starts in difficulty and required coordination.
    While leveling in MMOs is fun for the most time, it lacks any kind of difficulty in 90% of the time. Thus, i think people who want to get to endgame are mostly people looking for the greater challenges und coordinated groupplay.
    Bear in mind my only raiding experience was in WoW, but I really didn't get the appeal of that either. I mean, the "difficulty" was usually in terms of getting other people to not stand in fire, or gear checks either because it's a dps race/enrage timer or to lessen the odds of your main tank getting one-shotted, etc. Personally, I found trying to solo things that weren't supposed to be soloed much more of a challenge than anything I ever did in a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Interesting and a good visualization. Picture #1 is what we think we are doing in our MMORPG and in fact in the vertical scaling progression style of MMO's we are doing picture #2. Guess what's missing? Picture #3 which is GW2 I like the one with the numbers on it personally (#2) I'd like to see your representation in picture form of GW2 for a chuckle <3.
    Well, pic #3 would just be a #2 but like... the monster would have 56 tied to a stick.

Ironically it looks like Anet is going with picture #2 in the near future except some people are giving it pass since the numbers are smaller instead of the 57 and 34 it's 5 & 3 same thing in the end but when the masses scream for character progression and everyone want's to feel like a "hero" it will increase box sales which is exactly what Anet wants.
    Ironic, indeed.

There's been a lot of talk on this already. So not a lot left to say.

Really come down to the the majority of people now playing Guild Wars 2 being mostly bandwagoners. There are more "WoW familiar" players playing the sequel than the original Guild Wars games.

I don't begrudge companies for making a dollar. It is a business at the end of the day.

I'd love to see if their cash shop has not been as popular as they would like since most things can be done in game removing the need to make cash shop purchases so in fact B2P backfires a bit as many people in these very forums chant "I haven't spent a cent in the store".
    The MMO publisher I worked for had the exact same IRL cash to virtual cash system for it's cash shop as Guild Wars 2.

What Anet terms as "gems", we labeled "diamonds" for out virtual currency. The game had less than a 10th of audience and marketing of GW2. We made money hand over fist.

Gems in GW2 have to come from someone buying them first. Just as our system. As I said before, we had some players that bought what amounted to the worth of a small car in the US annually. Those were far more valuable as customers than like the guy who paid 120$ for 12 months of server time.

Hell, I spent maybe $10,000 US on cash shops myself. Maybe $300 or so on Rift, $130~ or so on SWTOR, $80 on Tera, etc.

No comparison.

Trust me or not on this one, but Arena.net are very likely rolling in cash shop money.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-22 at 09:30 PM.

Omg no offense but everyone needs to shut up and eat turkey.

I'm so full gonna explode...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    On the contrary. I'm asking, do you enjoy playing a hotbar style RPG, and actually enjoy the mechanics and playstyle that accompany being a hotbar style RPG.

Judging by your response, that answer's obviously a "no".

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 11:18 AM ----------

So... EVE?
    But what I'm saying is that for a lot of people, the thing you say to remove is actually the thing they find fun about the MMO. What is wrong with that? Can't people play games for things they like even if it's not the thing you're trying to make them like instead?

Guild war's 2 more active combat vs the stat list of something like WoW or even the nearly turn based FFXI might be an interesting distraction but it's really not what is going to keep people coming back and it's not why people play MMO games. If they wanted combat, they're playing Street Fighter online somewhere. The hotbar RPG is a convenient enough style but really what makes WoW successful isn't the type of combat, but the feeling of progress amongst a community. If you take that away, it's just not a MMO, so I have to ask again, why would you take away all the fun stuff THEN ask people if they like the game?

I finally remembered n00b question #3. :P If I want to respec, can I do it with the level 11 manual (the one that costs 10s)?

Deleted
    the npc selling the books has a respecc dialogue option (which costs less)

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I finally remembered n00b question #3. :P If I want to respec, can I do it with the level 11 manual (the one that costs 10s)?
    Buying any manual will reset your trait points.

Fencer's guide for cheapskates in Guild Wars 2

Protip #982879276287
    Place a buy order for training manuals in the AH. People sometimes buy double manuals or the wrong manual for their level. Provided you have patience to let the buy order ride-- you can often get manual [& respecs] for below vendor price.

Simply check to see if your buy order is above minimum every 6 or so hours. If not, resend.

I learned to buy my manuals off the TP fairly early on, fortunately. Somehow, though, I completely missed the dialog option for respeccing. Does it continue to increase in price like it did in WoW? I checked on my level 73 and it was only 3.15s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Respeccing is so cheap the increase isn't really worth mention. One explorable will let you respec 20 times over.

I learned to buy my manuals off the TP fairly early on, fortunately. Somehow, though, I completely missed the dialog option for respeccing. Does it continue to increase in price like it did in WoW? I checked on my level 73 and it was only 3.15s.
    Respeccing is very cheap. It's only 3s50c at level 80 no matter how many times you respec.

Probably it doesn't. Everytime I respecced it was always the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    But what I'm saying is that for a lot of people, the thing you say to remove is actually the thing they find fun about the MMO. What is wrong with that? Can't people play games for things they like even if it's not the thing you're trying to make them like instead?

Guild war's 2 more active combat vs the stat list of something like WoW or even the nearly turn based FFXI might be an interesting distraction but it's really not what is going to keep people coming back and it's not why people play MMO games. If they wanted combat, they're playing Street Fighter online somewhere. The hotbar RPG is a convenient enough style but really what makes WoW successful isn't the type of combat, but the feeling of progress amongst a community. If you take that away, it's just not a MMO, so I have to ask again, why would you take away all the fun stuff THEN ask people if they like the game?
    I take it you like Roll (dice/rng) playing games, the reason debate you guys embarked on is silly, there simply was a post saying gw2 is becoming a roll playing game and not a role playing game as promised.

The issue isn't with what people like or dislike in a game, it's about what people think they like (or say they like) and what they actually like.
    This is the issue with WoW and why the 2pics were posted. Most people think they're playing a role playing game and that what they like is slaying dragons while in reality they like the Roll playing side of it.

On it's own this isn't very important (i like tetris u like pacman, big deal) the problem is when a game is released in somewhere in the middle of those two types ppl won't be happy.
    A-net and GW2 was marketed as a Role playing game but is now slowly taking theroute of a roll playing game which upsets the Role pgamers since they feel betrayed.

Lately I've been unable to find groups for story modes while leveling my new character :S
    When I started playing people were always spamming /map for story modes, now it's just completely empty.

Been trying to find a group for CM story for 3 days now lol, nothing. So annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    evrybody that still play is either in w3 or doing fractals. I had the same problem in the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    evrybody that still play is either in w3 or doing fractals. I had the same problem in the last week.
    I can still find groups for dungeons, or form them. Sometimes I go with friends and guild.

Protip: A good and nice guild increases your enjoyment by 1028%.

Protip #2: Many statistics are made up, because they make something look smarter and proven. In fact, this happens in 78% of all circumstances that involves statistics.

Deleted
    Urgh, now I remember why I should write down my password, and e-mails and not use these ''remember user name and password'' cookies, I had to make a new account on MMO-Champion because of it.

Now if we put that aside...

I haven't even played the fractals yet since I haven't taken much interest in them, and started to play less since Lost Shores patch. I've noticed I have started to go away more and more from MMO's overall, and gone to 'normal' games. Playing games on Steam and such.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm using a Sigil of Fire (30% chance on crit to trigger and AoE blast) on my Main-hand sword but not my Off-hand sword. I think I remember reading somewhere that with these kind of things, if you are dual wielding the proc chance is halved for each weapon. Is this true?

Wondering if there would be any benefit to adding a second Sigil of Fire (but they are a bit too expensive to test).

---------------

Edit...

Sigils that have a chance to trigger on critical hits stack their chance percentages multiplicatively, not additively. For example, two major Sigils of Fire, which each have a 20% chance to trigger on critical hit, will have a 36% chance to trigger, not 40%. Stacked chance = 1 - (1 - % chance) * (1 - % chance) Example, with 20 as the % chance: 1 - .8 * .8 = .36, or 36% Example 2, with 60 as the % chance: 1 - .4 * .4 = .84, or 84%

From the Wiki
    Last edited by Cyphran; 2012-11-24 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Post Google

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Regardless of the percentages, the way that proc or on-swap style sigils work (They have a habit of putting each other on cooldown) it seems like it's never worth having two at the same time.
    It seems they are supposed to do that. Simply that the chance that it will proc (and thus begin the cooldown) is higher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyphran View Post
    It seems they are supposed to do that. Simply that the chance that it will proc (and thus begin the cooldown) is higher.
    To be honest, I don't really think it's good at all to go with two of the same sigils on both your weapons. You benefit more from two completely different ones.