Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Meh, I disagree about traditional quests but I do agree about the vacant areas.

ooh, tradepost previews, finally

Now maybe they can add some more functionality to the tradepost as well.
    He's not talking about tradional "MMO" quests of killing 10 rats and such. Not sure if you watched the whole video, but if others drive-by this thread without reading/watching the whole thing they might get that impression.

It's pretty clearly stated WP is talking about traditional RPG quests such as in Ultima, Baldur's Gate and Final Fantasy where local quests are used to add flavor, personality or backdrop to area/subject.

Guild Wars 1 had that all over the place. Little "side quests" that just were there for the sake of adventure and world building. It was both context and narrative to the game world.

Think it wouldn't have hurt GW2 to follow it's predecessor. I often did feel that a lot of the world while pretty, was "hallow". With the only areas that stirred personal curiosity mostly being tied to GW1-- Yak's Bend, the searing caldron, Master Ranger Nente, etc.

Kind of a cheat. Because the game relies on familiarity and nostalgia for those call backs. And there isn't really anything added on for the most part to those areas.

Right, I suppose my fear would be what happened in Rift.

But something along the lines of scavenger hunts and exploration quests would be pretty neat. Stuff that isn't in your face with ! or the globes they currently have in the game. Quests that involve investigation and exploration such as in TSW (but without the quest markers). Heck they already have had similar "quests" such as the Halloween scavenger hunt. That stuff? I'm all for it.

I agree with WP... I feel that the writing is far too less in this games, npcs aren't talking more than a few lines which could be improved easily. What are the lore-guys doing I wonder. They can produce high quality stuff as we've seen in pre-release blog-posts.

I like the hidden events in the game (e.g. the swamp in Queensdale has this 2 guys who summon some demon or the Necromancer in the hut there has also a litte event which can be triggered by just talking to him) but there could be much more of those with added lore. They had some nice events in the Halloween update too... loved that scavenger hunt.

so those little special things are basically in the game, only far too few and with too less lore imho

Yea, Rift is probably the best example of terrible MMO questing. Potatoes makes a note to tie back his argument to the new living story thing in GW2. Which I also agree with as a possible avenue to add more personality and player investment to the game's world.

Things like this: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Villainy_of_Galrath

Stand out to me in Gw1. Or even like the bonuses such as saving the piggy in that one early mission. Or the way Cynn and Mhenlo have their stories revealed over time. I suppose a lot of the backdrop of the Order of Whispers, Sunspears and Houses of Luxon and Kurzick-- so much great world detail.

I agree, GW2 simply focused too much on telling the story by "stumbling over it". You have to overhear two locals talk about x-y-z inorder to learn about that stuf while in gw1 you had the normal quests from refugees and you learn how the am-fah impacted people etc.

Now it's sort of like hearing to old people talk about vietnam instead of being the guy who "flew" those people there and then had an involvement in the story e.g: this one time i was flying and this guy who had lost a hand said "eey fellas I need to piss anyone care to lend me a hand?"

I can't believe it, they are finally adding preview to the TP

So, karma dump. Last time I used it on Obsidian Shards. Should I go for Lost Orrian Jewelry Boxes now or continue to stock up on shards?

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    So, karma dump. Last time I used it on Obsidian Shards. Should I go for Lost Orrian Jewelry Boxes now or continue to stock up on shards?
    Depends what you want from the boxes. I opened like 70 yesterday and got only 15 Shards and karma stuff. In my opinion they've nerfed the drops from those too because when they introduced them on the first day I opened quite a lot of them and got a lot of pets and different kinds of lodestones. If you don't care what you get though go for it!

10+ Year Old Account
    I just saw that video from WoodenPotatoes, and i must say its spot on for me. I miss that "completion" feeling that Dynamic events don't offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    I just saw that video from WoodenPotatoes, and i must say its spot on for me. I miss that "completion" feeling that Dynamic events don't offer.
    I think WPs video wasn't about a completion feeling (you get that a lot in GW2: hearts, Map-completion, World-completion) but the feeling of emptyness in certain areas. For me the thing missing are lore-connections. Things with stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyth View Post
    I opened like 70 yesterday and got only 15 Shards and karma stuff.
    Karma stuff? o_O

Well, I guess I don't really care what I get from them. I really wish karma was account bound and then I wouldn't have to worry about spending 60k+ of it every time I decide to delete one of my 80s. I think Obsidian Shards are only for legendaries anyway, right? I'm nowhere near ever doing that. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Karma stuff? o_O

Well, I guess I don't really care what I get from them. I really wish karma was account bound and then I wouldn't have to worry about spending 60k+ of it every time I decide to delete one of my 80s. I think Obsidian Shards are only for legendaries anyway, right? I'm nowhere near ever doing that. :P
    Yeah, you often get karma drops/vials etc from the Lost Orrian Boxes. Which is pretty good cause you can use it on others chars. I usually buy a few and I get usually 75% of the karma back or so.

Ah, okay. That sounds good then. I thought it may have meant other things you could buy with karma and I thought, if I wanted that wouldn't I have already bought it instead of this box? ;P

Yeah sorry for that Lane, I meant something like jugs of karma. And the Shards are only for legendaries yes, for now at least

Deleted
    WPs perhaps expressed it a bit ambigously with 'quests'. I think it could better be described as a lack of interactivity with the general scenery, as an example you could get for one of these guys in the citadel some token he lost where he originally lived, in the process telling you a story why he ended up there and getting you involved. That would technically be a classic quest, yes.

I thought of Mass Effect 2's Omega Station where you could help out a quarian stranded there on his pilgrimage, Or you could ignore his plight. Things like that would add a lot of depth to the world, but perhaps the living story will introduce such things.

I think a better way to put it is the lack of an objective based list. Something like the Elder Scrolls for example. Dynamic Events are very shallow and small in scope, and they have a limited range. Once you leave the area, you can't progress it. The lack of any sort of quest system prevents smaller story arcs, like Garenhoff.

Quest is a bad word since the stigma attached to it. Kill 10 boars and such.

"Quest" is only bad in the context of theme park MMOs.

Quests as a general game concept/device is rarely kill 10 rats. Quests are fairly mainstream too.

Not a big fan of Skyrim, but that's a very mainstream game, with great varied questing. Or more importantly, used their quests to provide great context to the game world. Morrowind would be another example in TES.

Myriad games in the Final Fantasy, Tales, Persona, Mother and Dragon Warrior series fit the bill as well. Arcanum, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Ultima, etc.

MMOs are just kinda... bad games in terms of actual design. They have to be built around a set of circumstances which are almost totally contra to any other convention in the service of providing a perpetual, socially driven device.

You don't really "quest" in Rift or Everquest 2. You task.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-17 at 06:17 AM.

In terms of quests I miss 2 things from GW2:

* Epic quest chains (a long series of tasks that progressively takes you from doing simple things to amazing feats all around the world, grants unique rewards and tells you a part of the lore -- Vanilla WoW had a few good ones (Scepter of the Shifting Sands for example, and some smaller ones during WotLK and Cata))

* 'Hidden' quests, ones that you can stumble upon in the most random places that either introduce you to a nice side-story or form the beginning of an epic quest chain ;p

I kinda miss the traditional questing style sometimes. But the thing is, it doesn't have to be X or Y. You can do all the "kill 10 boars, collect 10 onions, kill a dozen centaurs" in the GW2 hearts style, but that doesn't mean you can't add actual quests that... you know, take you questing (= adventure)

My two cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    In terms of quests I miss 2 things from GW2:

* Epic quest chains (a long series of tasks that progressively takes you from doing simple things to amazing feats all around the world, grants unique rewards and tells you a part of the lore -- Vanilla WoW had a few good ones (Scepter of the Shifting Sands for example, and some smaller ones during WotLK and Cata))

well you got meta-events not the same but also pretty epic

* 'Hidden' quests, ones that you can stumble upon in the most random places that either introduce you to a nice side-story or form the beginning of an epic quest chain ;p
    instead of hidden quests you get jumping puzzles in my opinion cooler
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-17 at 05:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by syom View Post
    instead of hidden quests you get jumping puzzles in my opinion cooler
    Jumping puzzles arent instead of, and nothing is hidden and nor do you 'stumble' upon jumping puzzles, there is a great big red sign saying jump here. Afaic the lack of true exploration is astounding everything is labelled for you, really couldnt fathom why.

Edit: this comment is stupid and deserves the disdain it got.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-02-17 at 11:50 PM.