Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    except you're not forced to run guild missions to buy said items since they're also available through laurel npcs, not nearly as efficient time wise i admit (dont like it either, should have been a daily reward or available from fotm npcs for tokens+mats or something imo) but it's still there and guess what? no guild requirement at all.

doubt this won't change in some further patch as it's obvious big-ass guilds have it an easier time accessing those commendation rewards due to how influence gains work. (that's a fact no one can deny atm)
    You don't get what "on par" means either it seems...
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I don't have any choice, I'm forced to change guilds to stay on par with my current "peers".
    Getting the items from dailies means it'll take me 80days to get both my earrings or at it's fastest 60days with 2monthlies.
    Doing it with guild missions you can get 10/week meaning that in the longest it takes me 23days. If you include the monthly +dailies the fastest it can be done is 9days.

So it takes me more than 6times longer to get the items I need to progress the content I care about while others can do w/e they want to get stats that don't even matter for their progression (mf, gold find,...)

well, laurels have been put in place since like early february or something while unlocking missions take 1 week per mission type, which means no guild atm could possibly have all missions type unlocked while on the other hand you could already have almost if not all laurels necessary if you saved them up to now.

too bad you didn't do your dailies i guess?

well, laurels have been put in place since like early february or something while unlocking missions take 1 week per mission type, which means no guild atm could possibly have all missions type unlocked while on the other hand you could already have almost if not all laurels necessary if you saved them up to now.

too bad you didn't do your dailies i guess?
    You know that other ascended item which you can't get from fotm?
    amulet
    You know what it costs?
    30 laurels
    I've got it.

Why do I even bother, you clearly are clueless.

Why do I even bother, you clearly are clueless.
    Now now, let's be nice. You're just splitting hairs for the sake of arguing...

There are currently no ascended items in the game that can only be obtained through guild missions. Fact.
    Yes, it is faster to get your stuff with guild missions, it's even faster if you combine both methods.
    You actually both agreed on that:

not nearly as efficient time wise i admit
    So what is the issue? That ANet implemented a carrot-on-a-stick so that more people would participate in guild events, even though you can get the same carrot from at least one other (albeit slower) source?
    Errr nerrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    Now now, let's be nice. You're just splitting hairs for the sake of arguing...

There are currently no ascended items in the game that can only be obtained through guild missions. Fact.
    Yes, it is faster to get your stuff with guild missions, it's even faster if you combine both methods.
    You actually both agreed on that:

So what is the issue? That ANet implemented a carrot-on-a-stick so that more people would participate in guild events, even though you can get the same carrot from at least one other (albeit slower) source?
    Errr nerrrr.
    2posts up," it is impossible to stay on par with other people who do high lvl fractals when you're in a small guild." => people who want to stay on par are forced to join big guilds (I'm one of those) => my gaming experience suffers due to a-nets lack of foresight.

What sac didn't feel like admitting was that players are being forced by a-net to join big guilds.

I've basically decided not to bother with any ascended items until/unless they're made account bound. I see people talking about how it's going to take them 8+ months to gear up all their alts. I already went through that with Rift back when they decided to add ISS to events with really nice gear rewards for them. It took me 3-4 months of running events (which I used to enjoy up to that point) just to gear out my rogue. When I realized I was looking at another 3-4 months (x3) for my other chars, by which time there would more than likely be a new level of gear and I'd have to start all over again, I said screw it.

It was the #1 reason for my quitting Rift. It literally got to where I logged on every day, did my Ember Isle dailies, and tried to squeeze in as many events as possible. A lot of times GW2 feels the exact same way to me, but fortunately events haven't become a "job" yet, however, the dailies + top of the line gear is highly reminiscent of Rift and that is not a good thing.

The thing is that the Ascended gear isn't needed to see content (unless I want to do 20+ Fractals) so I see no reason to go for it until I actually do need it. A bit different from other MMO's with a strictly vertical progression path.

Think I would care about Ascended items if I found Fractals interesting. They seem sorta pointless and not very fun to just grind the same three 10min "mini dungeons". Most of the "challenge" or interesting design just feels like annoyance factors- swamp, blizzard or the one with floating rocks.

"Oh no, I got pushed off this precarious ledge!" or "Here is some poison on top of a debuff mechanic!", it's just all kinda whatever for me. An infinite treadmill of the same thing over and over with no real point. And it is literally the same 8 or whatever SC-ing, auto pilot, 10 min runs with no strategic depth required or forethought.

I don't really push myself into Fractals/Ascended gear. Just take whatever I can get. Meh.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-04 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Think I would care about Ascended items if I found Fractals interesting. They seem sorta pointless and not very fun to just grind the same three 10min "mini dungeons". Most of the "challenge" or interesting design just feels like annoyance factors- swamp, blizzard or the one with floating rocks.

"Oh no, I got pushed off this precarious ledge!" or "Here is some poison on top of a debuff mechanic!", it's just all kinda whatever for me. An infinite treadmill of the same thing over and over with no real point. And it is literally the same 8 or whatever SC-ing, auto pilot, 10 min runs with no strategic depth required or forethought.

I don't really push myself into Fractals/Ascended gear. Just take whatever I can get. Meh.
    You can categorise all combat like this though. I do agree that the frost and swamp are the most boring designs out there.
    The golem boss you're thinking of actually requires some tactics since even when the poison is shut off the bolts he shoots are out very harmful.

I get that not everyone likes fractals and thus that not everyone is interested in ascended gear what I don't get is that people who are interested in that content can't get gear specifically designed for that content in an efficient way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    They seem sorta pointless and not very fun to just grind the same three 10min "mini dungeons".

That would be an amazing feat of probability to get the same 3 fractals over and over.

There are 9 fractals:
    Aquatic Ruins Fractal
    Cliffside Fractal
    Snowblind Fractal
    Solid Ocean Fractal
    Swampland Fractal
    Underground Facility Fractal
    Urban Battlegrounds Fractal
    Volcanic Fractal
    Uncategorized Fractal

It's completely random on which 3 you will get any time you enter the Fractals of the Mists.
    Valar morghulis

What sac didn't feel like admitting was that players are being forced by a-net to join big guilds.
    because they're not?

the only ones who already have their ascended trinkets are probably those who saved their laurels from dailies/monthlies as those who are running their guild missions may at most have 4-6 commendations atm.

I get that not everyone likes fractals and thus that not everyone is interested in ascended gear what I don't get is that people who are interested in that content can't get gear specifically designed for that content in an efficient way.
    I half-agree with this...what I mean is that while Ascended gear should be obtainable without running fractals, you shouldn't have to do content outside fractals to get the ascended gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    because they're not?

the only ones who already have their ascended trinkets are probably those who saved their laurels from dailies/monthlies as those who are running their guild missions may at most have 4-6 commendations atm.

It seems you can earn more by repping other guilds and working with them on the bounty kills.
    Only confirmation at this point is a screenshot of someone that linked 18 Guild Commendations.
    Valar morghulis

I've never seen the Underground Facility fractal, ever O_O wtf?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post

It's a pugbreaker that's for sure, lol.
    Valar morghulis

You can categorise all combat like this though.
    Yea, its basically Guild Wars 2 in a nutshell.

I agree. Fractals don't turn my crank, thus I don't push for Ascended gear. As stated above.

The agony thing would have been better if your character just had a permanent buff with X resistance based on performance. Do I really need to equip a ring to do this? It's just totally pointless to attach resistance to gear. A psychological trick of the tail.

Its the one with the endless waves of dredge where you gotta put bombs down to blast the tunnels. The boss is like a repeat of the Sorrow's Furnace robot guy- different shields and what not.

There is a gate puzzle like in the dredge tunnel in Dreadhaunt Cliffs.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-04 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    It seems you can earn more by repping other guilds and working with them on the bounty kills.
    Only confirmation at this point is a screenshot of someone that linked 18 Guild Commendations.
    also confirmed as unintended (aka a bug) which means i wouldn't even try to do it just in case they'd consider this an exploit, which usually means a ban.

They also confirmed that arah farm was unintended yet all those people are still around. I really doubt you'll get banned for this.

well, if it turns out the same way the server transfer ori farming did, i'd rather not be one of those who gets to receive the ban.

Well, I'm going to hate on Orr again. :P Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it really feels like they stealth-buffed it since the patch. I'm not talking about events either. Map completion is back to being a royal pain in the ass. Died so many times along with someone else I'd grouped with to get it done.

Temples always being contested certainly didn't help. Had to guest on another server to get the skill point at Balthazar because it was just not happening otherwise. Every skill point around a statue of Lyssa was an absolute nightmare between perma-condition stacks + chain stunned (+ usually mobs and/or a veteran beating on you as well). I mean, I honestly thought the Balthazar statues were the worst with the constant rains of fireballs while trying to commune, but they got nothing on Lyssa. Seriously, I was cursing like a sailor at the screen basically telling Lyssa to go F herself. :P I did not run into that before during previous runs either.

Too many places just flat out impassable. Blocked off due to events, or whatever. Died at least 3x just getting to the Arah WP. Came really close to guesting to get that done as well, but finally managed to make it up there only by using the log out trick when I got to low HP. Fortunately zoning into the Arah instance ported my friend up there. Only managed to get Grenth because we were "lucky" that people were actually doing the event when we went over there, but even then trying to get the skill point while the Grenth fight is happening also resulted in a lot of unhappy moments.

Just ugh. Fortunately, I think I'm done with Orr map completion for the foreseeable future. Orr is just way overtuned for the small amount of people that are there. Except for Cursed Shores I saw a total of maybe 2 people while going through Straits and Malchor. Meanwhile, the map was littered with events that are too difficult to solo or duo, which also made map completion way more difficult than necessary.