10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder when they release more volumes if we will be able to combine the new dance moves between the books - that could be fun

My fave new dance move is the Gear Grind, you know - the one where you are running in place and not getting anywhere - Ahahahahahaha!
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Meanwhile, after a half-year, ArenaNet still struggles with childhood diseases:
    Two months later:

http://goo.gl/ExIC2

The ANET stance is changing from inconsiderate into cynical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    Dray buying gems, what has the world come to.
    It is indeed an odd occurence, now I would certainly not change my previous stances on the game, but I've mellowed considerably on the GW2 front to the point of being fairly positive :P I have just experienced some of the poorest story telling in any mmo during my personal story (batle of claw island in particular), awful voice acting, cliche script and abysmal cutscenes but I spent a good 10 hours this week just smashing through events and hearts with my 2 friends I recruited over. With the upcoming summer I decided that a more casual and slower pace is needed so Ive left my true love to go and fiddle with the little bit on the side, I feel a bit dirty but it is fun.

Ive gone from 36 to 56 in a week without serious grind and it never felt like the next level was going to be a grind, so I see 24 mor elevels and go sure thats fine, in traditional mmos I get a headache thinking about the disparity in exp needed between levels, admittedly, levels should never have been in the game.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-05-09 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Two months later:

http://goo.gl/ExIC2

The ANET stance is changing from inconsiderate into cynical.
    I am sure their stance is close to: "whatever".

The market and region Cyrillic effects is comparatively small for most game developers. It's not worth their time and resources at the moment in all likelihood.

Move or deal.

I never understood why people see the need to have all games in their own language. If you're not able to speak english why are you even playing an online game?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I never understood why people see the need to have all games in their own language. If you're not able to speak english why are you even playing an online game?
    It is a global game though (which is why they need to quit the "It is released at xxxxPST & add GMT/UCT or similar also) & do you think when it is released in China, that they`ll leave it all in English?

Chinese ppl won't interact with people who speak various other languages. I don't know if a-net will support all chinese languages or only mandarin but my guess would be only mandarin.

The main issue is that you get grouped with people who just don't speak any english and are all from different countries (a german, frenchman, czech, spaniard and greek) which is beyond infuriating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyOrdon
    The game draws inspiration from the crab guild challenge but plays a bit differently. There's achievements, titles, and prizes for participants and winners.

Crab Toss will only be around for the duration of living story events at Southsun Cove. But don't be too sad, as far as activities go, you might have a very exciting year ahead of you.
    Polymock #calling it now
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Chinese ppl won't interact with people who speak various other languages. I don't know if a-net will support all chinese languages or only mandarin but my guess would be only mandarin.

The main issue is that you get grouped with people who just don't speak any english and are all from different countries (a german, frenchman, czech, spaniard and greek) which is beyond infuriating.
    I`m guessing Chinese shards will be kept seperate, possibly even the TP /shrugs

Had that plenty of times over the years.
    Warcraft I was on an Bladefist, most folk spoke English, but was heavily Dutch/Swede. Moved B`Legion, it was mostly Polish, with a few English (oh man, the arguments on chat... lol)
    gw2 I`m on Underworld, most speak English & some don`t, but again, heavily Polish with some scattered Dutch, Swedes etc.
    Oddly, Guild Wars, a truly globally accessible game, I rarely saw anything other then English, despite being in a South American guild (mostly Americans & Mexicans, a few French & some English.)

It definitely makes for silent groupings
    *tumbleweed*

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    do you think when it is released in China, that they`ll leave it all in English?
    Heh. That's it exactly though. Games are primarily a business where the decisions come down to economics more often than not.

Asian markets are highly lucrative. Especially China, Philippines and S. Korea. We ran games from those markets for 2 1/2 years for EU and NA localization. They are HUGE.

China is worth Anet's money, so to speak.

There is also the "XXX==CCCXXXXMMMM#####" cross region chat issue. Which is not always elegant or easy to solve depending on development environment within their tools.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-05-09 at 04:11 PM.

I'm from one of the countries that use the Cyrillic alphabet and certainly feel no reason for it to be implemented. I actually prefer to write in Latin, but that may be due to the fact that I've been exposed to English since I was a child. Still, no reason for them to make that happen unless more people start whining about it every day!

People obviously want to chat normally having paid their $60. In this age there is some level of expectations from software, the support of basic scripts like Greek or Cyrillic is out of discussion. All the related problems were solved like 15 years ago, so the arguments of time and resources are void, as it requires none.

It does require time and effort. That would be someone's job for a week or so.

Simply put: Anet doesn't feel its worth it to their bottom line at this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    do you think when it is released in China, that they`ll leave it all in English?

Chinese characters are already appearing on some gear. Seems kind of random, but I imagine with the beta well underway in China that most of that translation work has already been done.
    Valar morghulis

It's funny cause these are issues americans hardly ever have to deal with. I can make myself understandable in 5-6 languages and even then there's ppl who don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

I hate when ppl speak a language other than english when speaking online. Want to speak your own language? PM. Is it a group discussion form a party. Is it a group discussion when in party with randoms, do it in english...

It's at a point that I only use words that everyone understands: noob, nab, nablet, hahahaha, lol, fail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can someone please tell me that dungeons get better, I just did my first one, AC story mode and it was hands down the worst pve experience Ive had for a long time. Do things get better, seems a shame after really enjoying GW2 this week that the dungeons are so awful.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Can someone please tell me that dungeons get better, I just did my first one, AC story mode and it was hands down the worst pve experience Ive had for a long time. Do things get better, seems a shame after really enjoying GW2 this week that the dungeons are so awful.
    Well, all the dungeons are essentially a romp.

Nothing really changes. There are attacks, you dodge out of them or mitigate them somehow, CC & kiting are important. Fast mob burns are important. There is no "tanking" or healing in dedicated roles. The game is built around reactive, action-combat in the classical Arcade style of game design.

By now you should have an idea of how the combat mechanics work. From playing and from posting in this forum for months. So the question is slightly useless without more specific detail. Even then it's a matter of simply enjoying this style or not as nothing changes.

AC is the most focused dungeon, btw. The most "traditional", if you will. The later dungeons are more chaotic and trap-y/jump-y.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-05-09 at 07:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, all the dungeons are essentially a romp.

Nothing really changes. There are attacks, you dodge out of them or mitigate them somehow, CC & kiting are important. Fast mob burns are important. There is no "tanking" or healing in dedicated roles. The game is built around reactive, action-combat in the classical Arcade style of game design.

By now you should have an idea of how the combat mechanics work. From playing and from posting in this forum for months. So the question is slightly useless without more specific detail. Even then it's a matter of simply enjoying this style or not as nothing changes.

AC is the most focused dungeon, btw. The most "traditional", if you will. The later dungeons are more chaotic and trap-y/jump-y.
    Your last part of the post was what I wanted to hear, yes I understand the combat style, what I havent had the opportunity to do is to get down and actually face tough mobs in a group setting just spam fests in events. As to my post/history in here giving me an indicator of what to expect in dungeons, no, nothing could prepare me for that, a mess of spells, pets, npcs and mobs, just a total mess. Little to no audible indicator of incoming attacks, no real sense of teamwork. I can see me never touching a dungeon again after this, hugely disappointing. It felt like I was playing god mode.
    Luckily the levelling is a joy right now.

Well, there are some dungeons that require some brain (?) so you can always try those. Never go into CoF P1 if you still give GW2 dungeons a chance. That path in that dungeon can be done blindfolded. Fractals are somewhat challenging and more interesting. Take Legendary Imbued Shaman for example. If you're group doesn't know what it is doing, you're bound to fail.

Try some fractals instead, dray.