I think all reporters in regards to obscenity are hypocritical. If you can read "FUCK YOU" it means you turned off the adult filter and thus your right to complain flies straight out of the window.

For names I really don't get why people would demand to rename toons like "Cunning Stunt", I highly doubt kids will get those names and thus that there will be any impact.

If it's "for the poor innocent children" it's time to remind yourself that there's nudity, violence and swearing all over, and thus that w/e they've come across in the game, they probably saw it on the web (or worse).

10+ Year Old Account
    I like that they are so proactive in keeping mapchat decent. A few months back I was in Frostgorge waiting for Jormag and there was this fella just cursing up a blue streak in chat (this rarely happens since ANet is so strict about it). Anyhow this little asura with an ANet tag comes running up the hill behind the tents, waits there for a minute listening, then *poof* random raging internet guy just disappeared just like that.

I laughed so hard.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    I must be missing something here.
    Why was someone reported for having the name "Targaryen"?
    Having Google`d, this is something from Game of Thrones, how is that meant to be abusive, against ToS or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    I must be missing something here.
    Why was someone reported for having the name "Targaryen"?
    Having Google`d, this is something from Game of Thrones, how is that meant to be abusive, against ToS or whatever?
    Probably copy-righted and you're not allowed to use it, but not sure.

I think the only time I reported someone for name was BigDickTank in WoW...

OTOH, I don't report people for cussing, unless it's one of those ranting types that is filling map chat with such, and calling everybody various things.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I think all reporters in regards to obscenity are hypocritical. If you can read "FUCK YOU" it means you turned off the adult filter and thus your right to complain flies straight out of the window.

For names I really don't get why people would demand to rename toons like "Cunning Stunt", I highly doubt kids will get those names and thus that there will be any impact.

If it's "for the poor innocent children" it's time to remind yourself that there's nudity, violence and swearing all over, and thus that w/e they've come across in the game, they probably saw it on the web (or worse).
    I wouldn't report someone who threw a curse word every now and then into their sentence, because I do it myself when talking with friends and such. But just because there is a profanity filters does not mean you should fill chat with cursing. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I don't say that you should because you could, I'm saying that if someone swears while you turned off the filter you have no right to complain.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just because I don't mind seeing cursing, doesn't mean I want so see someone fill chat up with nothing but cursing. I do believe I have the right to complain when someone's being excessive their cursing.

I don't say that you should because you could, I'm saying that if someone swears while you turned off the filter you have no right to complain.
    Out of curiosity, what about the folks spelling stuff specifically to work around the filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Just because I don't mind seeing cursing, doesn't mean I want so see someone fill chat up with nothing but cursing. I do believe I have the right to complain when someone's being excessive their cursing.
    I'm sorry but no, it's simply all or nothing. It's like saying "I don't mind tarantino movies but sometimes it's excessive (violence/swearing). You chose to see the tarantino movy so you waved that right, it's a tarantino movy so you know it might be excessive.

People aren't going to swear by saying "you're a dickhead" and then 10sec later say "come on guys please move". It's not gonna happen. What will happen is "you're a dickhead" and 10sec later "move you retards".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Out of curiosity, what about the folks spelling stuff specifically to work around the filter?
    Those can be kicked since you opted out and still see it, which is griefing imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I guess I will simply agree to disagree with you.

This will probably sound a bit whiny, and it is.
    Been working on Twilight for God knows how long now, and thanks to the Clockwork Chaos event I finally had the 200 skill points needed to buy the Bloodstone Shard and that was the last part I needed to complete the three Gifts needed to craft the weapon.
    I tried my luck in the Mystic Forge today and was ofcourse hoping to see Dusk, but take a wild guess what I was rewarded with instead...
    Yeah, Dawn...

I took a screenshot and sold that shit at once, only 335g left to farm... And farming in this game is SOOOO rewarding...

O_o Looking at the TP right now there's only a 150g discrepancy between Dawn and Dusk. You're actually really damn lucky you got a precursor at all even if it wasn't exactly the one you wanted. You can make 150g easy with these invasions too. Prior to the Queen's X content it would have been a lot harder.

The only thing about Ascended gear that I care about is if we are getting new skins. If not, I'm not going to bother grinding for it.

I wasn't sure where to post this since it covers two classes. :P

I've been playing around with this defensive warrior build and it reminds me a lot of playing a prot pally (in WoW). However, the GW2 class I associate most with paladin would be guardian. Do guardians have an equal/better defensive build based on return damage or is warrior the better class for it?

I figure it won't quite be the same since there are no "tanks" in GW2, but apparently I missed having things beat themselves to death on me. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, nothing will die by hitting you like say a sword and board warrior in WoW, but I can take on multiple mobs with ease as a guardian and reminded me a lot of playing a prot warrior. I would link my armoury but ya know..I cant.

OTOH, if you have profanity filter on and someone is filling up your map chat with &*%^#%$&()&*$^%# all over the place, you know exactly what they are doing and you have every right to complain. Plus, you don't have to complain about profanity specifically, it's perfectly legit to report someone for spamming map chat with crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    OTOH, if you have profanity filter on and someone is filling up your map chat with &*%^#%$&()&*$^%# all over the place, you know exactly what they are doing and you have every right to complain. Plus, you don't have to complain about profanity specifically, it's perfectly legit to report someone for spamming map chat with crap.
    Yes you know, but to me it's about the insults etc. witch you don't want to hear/read. "I don't give a flying ****" doesn't help a lot (filter wise) which is why I find it rather silly to begin with but since that wasn't being discussed I chose to ignore it. On the other hand if I just read **** (without context) I know you're swearing (or typing **** to be funny ) but you don't have the right to complain, that would be like complaining about indecent exposure when a couple that's quite visible exited enters the room next to yours...

(I know the parallel doesn't fit 100%)

TBH I think people who can't stand obscene language are hypocrites to begin with since they probably swear about anything and everything IRL when they stub their little toe.

I agree that you can report them for spam when they're spamming obscenities instead of reporting for vulagar language. However the key here is that if you leave out all obscene words you still would report them.

@lane
    if you're looking for "tank" builds the easiest is defensive weapons. For Retaliation builds Hammer is great. Mace+focus/hammer is a popular "tank" weaponset which feels a lot like retri aura pala. The difference is that reta is based of the power of who hits you instead of your power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    You have a right to complain over some symbols appearing on your screen? If you have a profanity filter and people arent purposefully circumventing that filter then you have no right to complain as far as I'm concerned. People are way too precious, and like Mel said, hypocrites mainly too. If someone is specifically just saying swear words with no context, I might give you that, unnecessary profanity is a bit, well, unnecessary.

Did Anet decide against giving out 200 gems to players who logged in yesterday?

@lane
    if you're looking for "tank" builds the easiest is defensive weapons. For Retaliation builds Hammer is great. Mace+focus/hammer is a popular "tank" weaponset which feels a lot like retri aura pala. The difference is that reta is based of the power of who hits you instead of your power.
    Would you say guardian's better at it (a retaliation build) than warrior?

Yes guardian has a very easy-time reta tanking for 2reasons: 1. (close to) perma reta 2. protection spam

When playing with a hammer you can use auto attack (final hit) to give a light field and then use 2 to get more reta add in the virtue and the shout and you have perma reta, afaik wars can't achieve this(I've never really looked into it tbh).

This is a popular reta tank build.