10+ Year Old Account
    I dont agree Gray, you could fail quite often in most raids, and we often did being quite scrubbish, even heroic modes, I don't know what raids in particular you think were devoid of any chance of failure, but I havent played any since TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I dont agree Gray, you could fail quite often in most raids, and we often did being quite scrubbish, even heroic modes, I don't know what raids in particular you think were devoid of any chance of failure, but I havent played any since TBC.
    I am saying that failure occurred too often for casual players, not the other way around.

This is one of the things I like about GW2 although GW2 seems to err far too much on the side of easy. There is a balance between the old Teq and the new one which they seem to be battling to find. The new one is perfect for an instance where you have a more organised group. They could put a higher precursor drop rate in to encourage guilds to run it. They could even make it tougher. The old one was a face palm. Somewhere in the middle is a nice balance. An encounter that is not face palm but is also doable by casual players. I am not saying make it longer, just a bit tougher. A bit like golem II now where you can't stand and ignore the mechanics.
    Last edited by Gray_Matter; 2013-10-11 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I don't know what raids in particular you think were devoid of any chance of failure, but I havent played any since TBC.
    The game is so different now there's really no comparison. The gap between the best players and the average player has widened to really absurd levels. For the most part in Vanilla and TBC, raiding was 95% logistics (e.g. herding cats). That is obviously still important, especially for middle tier guilds, but at the top end guilds have a level of seriousness and skill that just blows earlier eras out of the water.

Alright, guys. Really need to kill the conversation on World of Warcraft gameplay specifics here. There are other forums for that, not the Guild Wars 2 forums. And frankly, the discussion has veered toward a specificity that is not productive in the context of this thread or forum.

-- Fencers

What is the deal with Fiery Greatsword? The past few times I've run CoE the parties have either talked about how OP it is or asked me if I know how to use it (on my mesmer). O_o One person said you disable auto-targeting and spam #4? Is that really all it is?

Totally unrelated, the last time I played Sanctum Sprint for the daily activity I was accused of cheating and supposedly reported. Apparently I'm just that good at it. :P Seriously, why would anyone cheat? The rewards aren't worth it and there's nothing to be gained coming in first.

FGS 4 is a rush but it's special in that it trigers it's attack even without having a target, this means that if a target is "walled" you can make it take dmg for the duration of the rush instead of just the "swing" which does shit tons of dps and is considered by some as a glitch/bug due to how much dmg it does.

The rush works the same way on norn btw (bear or leopard form but bear is stronger) and the only exception afaik is war's GS rush.

If you want to get an idea of how retardedly broken that is go to the dummies and stand in front of one in the cornet, don't target it and use a rush skill and watch the insane dmg trickle in.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Quote Originally Posted by Amera View Post
    The game is so different now there's really no comparison. The gap between the best players and the average player has widened to really absurd levels. For the most part in Vanilla and TBC, raiding was 95% logistics (e.g. herding cats). That is obviously still important, especially for middle tier guilds, but at the top end guilds have a level of seriousness and skill that just blows earlier eras out of the water.
    That's a really ignorant comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Totally unrelated, the last time I played Sanctum Sprint for the daily activity I was accused of cheating and supposedly reported. Apparently I'm just that good at it. :P Seriously, why would anyone cheat? The rewards aren't worth it and there's nothing to be gained coming in first.
    I did a Sprint a while back, was #1 the entire time with no one behind me, then right at the end someone was suddenly ahead of me. (I turned a corner and they were there, running.)

I asked "Light Travel?" and they said "ha ha no, I know a shortcut"...

So yeah, apparently there are cheaters of some sort there.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I asked "Light Travel?" and they said "ha ha no, I know a shortcut"...

So yeah, apparently there are cheaters of some sort there.
    There are plenty of shortcuts.

I only know of the one shortcut at the end with the wind powerup. In this case, first I got lucky getting several of the aspect powerups at the beginning (I forget what they're called, the ones that make #2 super fast/far). Second, I got Light Travel even after passing everyone, which was weird (maybe the game hadn't yet registered my new position when I hit the jar), but there was really no catching up to me after that, and I used the wind powerup for the shortcut at the end.
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-10-13 at 05:16 PM.

There's a couple I know of. After the wooden bridge there's a couple of air jumps you have to do
    after that most people run left while on the right there's wood planks you can run over with crystals (near the end)

There's also a big semi-circle that most people run all the way out but it's a lot faster to use lightning to jump across to the end.

Loads of shortcuts tbh
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

It would have been between the last checkpoint before the end, where I was number 1 and alone, and the actual end where I was suddenly behind someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    new chars are more horrible to level than other games for sure

Deleted
    Long time since I`ve played that, but didn`t they make new players entering the race get the lead?
    Something dodgy (anet hair brained ;p ) to not leave them sat right at the start or similar.

Shame about MKs Rumble, doesn`t look like it is returning this year, was contemplating installing again just for the odd play or three in there. Ah well...

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    new chars are more horrible to level than other games for sure
    That depends somewhat on profession. The Soldiers(Warrior and Guardian)have an easier time than the more lightly-armored ones. It also depends on playstyle. If you expect to only sit in one place and take it all on the face all the time, you're in for a surprise. You need to learn to stay mobile and active in your defense to really succeed. Also, trying to push too far too soon is a mistake.

I quickly took the tack that it's far easier to go around to all the starting zones and do the Reknown Hearts of the first five levels or so for each, to make progressing further into any one zone less painful. With the way level scaling works, you can't just bull your way over everything. But, having more skills unlocked and available, and especially being able to access traits, will make overcoming things much easier than it would be at the actual level of the area in question.

I actually find the first half of the levelling process OK, but once I hit 35-40 I just tend to give up. I mean, you get access to all your skills by the time you're 30 and from then on it's just 1 trait point per level for another 50! levels... which is quite frankly awful.
    For me personally levelling a new character has to have a carrot on a stick, something to look forward to every time you level up ("omg 5 more levels and I get to use that shiny new ability" etc) otherwise it becomes dull as eff.
    Shockingly, most of my characters have been sitting around lvl35 for about a year now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I actually find the first half of the levelling process OK, but once I hit 35-40 I just tend to give up. I mean, you get access to all your skills by the time you're 30 and from then on it's just 1 trait point per level for another 50! levels... which is quite frankly awful.
    For me personally levelling a new character has to have a carrot on a stick, something to look forward to every time you level up ("omg 5 more levels and I get to use that shiny new ability" etc) otherwise it becomes dull as eff.
    Shockingly, most of my characters have been sitting around lvl35 for about a year now.
    Definitely, I had 2 around level 26-30 myself, just couldn't find the will to get them up.

I dunno, I find having traits to look forward to that add new dimensions to how I play my char helped keep me going. That and actually exploring the world and seeing what's in the zones.

levels are pointless anyway, still rather disappointed they have them in the game in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I know what you mean, but also always found it irritating to be leveling using ABC powers, then gaining XYZ power later that dictate how the actual class will play at max level. It's not as bad as it used to be.

So yeah, it'd be nice if traits could unlock different things, maybe even fundamentally alter a power in some way, but the game is more about the world than the stats, so it doesn't seem a priority. Not much of a toolbar.