Deleted
    I don't want to start a new thread but is WvWvW still about zerging? Is it even alive or dead on worse-doing worlds like ti used to be?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    I don't want to start a new thread but is WvWvW still about zerging? Is it even alive or dead on worse-doing worlds like ti used to be?
    There has been some movement of night guilds to higher tiers, since there naturally is fewer Oceanic/SEA players and night coverage can determine the outcome of a match, but otherwise (except for a couple outliers - RIP Maguuma) seems as busy as ever - even in Bronze league.

Around 5 months ago I had posted the number of WvW guilds - it was 18k+ raiding guilds at that time.
    It's currently almost 34k WvW guilds which is an average of 80+ new guilds joining the fray every day. (this is not all the guilds that play WvW, just the ones that have leveled their influence enough to claim objectives that have been captured, and then actually have a chance to claim an objective before some other guild does).

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post27628171

And of course EotM has a simply redonkulous amount of players.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Sort of expected. I wonder how many people we'll lose in our guild this time. We went from having over 30 people online in our guild on a nightly basis to now about 5-6 people over the last break. Disappointing really.
    I have mostly stopped playing. I am now officially tired of this dribs and drabs content. There needs to be something meaningful released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last day for the $19.99 price from the Humble Store. \o/

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p...rs2_storefront
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    I need an honest opinion here. I have a character slot open to level a character with and I can't decide what to level. It's been awhile since I actually played anything but necromancer so I haven't really kept up with any buffs/nerfs they've done to other classes.

My choices are thief, warrior and engineer. I have the rest at 80 already. I'm awful with anything super squishy (I was a horrible elementalist), but I will probably do sPvP with it and would like something that is actually adequate for both that and leveling/events.

I tried looking at the official GW2 forums but that was a mistake...I saw at least one thread in every section stating how said class was garbage now (thieves complaining, warriors complaining, etc)...I guess they've gotten nerfed since I last payed attention.

My necromancer has been my favorite ever since I started playing it because it feels super tough to me with death shroud and all of the different builds I can choose.

I could use some suggestions. :P

This will probably become quite long but I'm bored so let's do this!

Thief:
    The strength of thief is two fold, 1. It's very good against other squishy targets 2. It's super mobile.
    The draw backs are that you also are reasonably squishy, you survive either by relying on stealth or by using teleports to get out of LoS/range.
    This class plays a lot like elementalist used to (before celestial came in) in that you're not good at taking hits, but you're good at evading them/healing them/...

The most popular builds are D/P and S/D
    D/P plays a hit and run type of style, you generally don't want to be in team fights since you can die extremely fast and stealth doesn't protect you from AoE which most team fights have a lot of. In 1v1s you're weak vs conditions.

S/D is a whole different ball game, you actually want to be in team fights since your evades (3) also steal boons, while not being vulnerable to AoE since you can simply port out. Don't be fooled, even though team fights are important S/D can easily hold it's own in most 1v1s the only threats are D/P thief (unwinnable vs an equally skilled player) and condition spammers (builds that focus on multiple conditions like Engineer/Mesmer) but general condition stackers (think ranger who basically rely on bleeding) aren't an issue.

S/D is a lot stronger in general but when you're playing against a lot of squishy targets D/P works better.

Engineer:
    Engineers have good survivability as long as their CD's are up. It's possible to get bursted down in one stun if you're unlucky but most builds are more pressure oriented than burst which engineers can easily deal with thanks to their various blocks through shield and the tool kit. The great thing about engineer is that they can roam if needed but also are extremely strong in team fights, especially with their elite.

The most popular builds atm are celestial engineer as said earlier, CC is your weakpoint a secondary weakness are conditions all though you can equip a different kit if need be to help with that.

I'll mention it but it's the most retarded build ever Turret Engineer, its a bunker build that relies on semi-afking, is incredibly boring to play and not that usefull against teams with heavy AoE.

Warrior:
    Probably the most sturdy profession, this means that it can hold it's own in both 1v1s and team fights. Do not be fooled by the high numbers you see, when in a team fight your role is to control the target as best as possible so toons with more damage can kill them easier or to help your team survive.
    The toughness comes both from CC and the most broken heal skill in the game. A big part of staying alive as a warrior is simply kiting. Not blowing your CD's too early is the hardest part as a warrior, if you're running into 1v1s and popping your stances before the fight starte you're playing horribly.

The only weakness warrior has are blinds and constant poison, this makes D/P thief a pain to deal with in theory but in practice your AoE's are strong enough to win against them. The only PITA classes are condition ranger and mesmers which you see relatively few off.

Hambow
    Still is the strongest warrior build.
    There's also a condition S/H build but it doesn't really do anything better than Hambow aside from give better condi removal for your team which is quite redundant since stunning the enemy will achieve the same thing.

The easiest build to play is Turret engineer by far, Hambow isn't hard to play but is quite hard to master (there's a big difference between a good hambow and an ok hambow). Thief is more about map awareness than anything else.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

10+ Year Old Account
    Ty for the nice write-up, Mel. I had started a thief but couldn't get into it before I asked, I think I will delete it and try out warrior. This time I'll probably try out sPvP before I start leveling it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    Ty for the nice write-up, Mel. I had started a thief but couldn't get into it before I asked, I think I will delete it and try out warrior. This time I'll probably try out sPvP before I start leveling it. :P
    I play thief mainly as P/P. It may not be the popular approach, but it's great for running around EotM using the 3 ability to hit multiple targets. Makes sure you get plenty of tags when you get into a zerg v zerg fight. I think thief is worth persevering with, even though it does tend to feel very squishy to start with (at least it did to me).
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

For WvW that's fine, build really doesn't matter there (I run a healing thief build in WvW ) but in PvP I really would advise in going with meta builds.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I like being able to win 1v1s but I also like being able to get into the thick of things with group fights and not melt like paper.

I'd probably stick with mostly sPvP and not WvW...even though my current experience with it has been limited to guardian (I was awful at it) and necromancer. I have run MM necro for sPvP and love it and can survive both group fights and win 1v1 most of the time, although I've had issues with certain thief builds.

Simply as comparison, I have two rogues in WoW and have pvp'd with them and I'm not really sure I want the burst/escape/restealth type of gameplay in GW2. If the thief archetype is similar enough to that in GW2 then it's probably a good reason for me to go with the warrior or engineer instead.

Deleted
    Might be a slightly silly question, but is the Juvenile Red Moa still available for taming at Plains of Ashford? I've been running around both of the spawn spots (both of which are listed on the wiki) for what seems like forever, and I've yet to meet a single Juvenile birdie. There's only neutral Crimson Moas running about... I just want to know if I'm wasting my time or should I move on... I just really, really want this pet for my Ranger. D:

And no, I can't go to the other map with the event that spawns three of those birds since I'm only level 29 on my Ranger. I think the minimum level for the area with the event is something like 40.

No, a-net deemed charming pets too complicated for new players so they removed most/all of them out of the starting areas.

The Red Moa isn't a great pet (for leveling) anyway so you're not losing much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    No, a-net deemed charming pets too complicated for new players so they removed most/all of them out of the starting areas.

The Red Moa isn't a great pet (for leveling) anyway so you're not losing much.
    Well damn... That bites. At least I managed to tame a couple of the pets at the starting areas before the change, then. Too bad Wiki and various other sites haven't been updated yet... Thanks for clearing this up, though. Back to leveling it is, then. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    For WvW that's fine, build really doesn't matter there (I run a healing thief build in WvW ) but in PvP I really would advise in going with meta builds.
    Absolutely; but then in PvP it's much more important that you can perform the role you have chosen for yourself. Otherwise you are letting the team down. Don't really get that same feeling in WvW!
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

So I've been thinking of returning but I haven't played since launch and I did hit level 80 but I want to level a different character, is there kind of a catch up guide/list of what i missed etc. story wise?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    So I've been thinking of returning but I haven't played since launch and I did hit level 80 but I want to level a different character, is there kind of a catch up guide/list of what i missed etc. story wise?
    Here you go

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/w...turningplayers
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Thanks! I know what I'll be doing Christmas eve and day

So i started a Ranger today, although i thought it was a mistake at first because my main is a Warrior and since they kinda use the same weapons i thought i would regret, but so far i'm enjoying it and i haven't seen all the abilities yet. I have to say, im kinda amazed over how many low lvl characters there are. I don't know if it's old players creating new ones or lot's of people got GW2 as a christmas gift, but there were like 10 people at least on each event, the zone felt really crowded. Now i have to see if it's the same in 15-25 + zones.

Deleted
    Logged back in for the first time in a while, is it possible that they've actually made the pvp worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post
    Logged back in for the first time in a while, is it possible that they've actually made the pvp worse?
    Sadly yes, this was predicted by some people but let's ignore them and say that everything is fine now and the game is better than ever.