I think the 'you don't have to be max level' narrative is quite disingenuous.

Yes, the game doesn't offer anything significantly different at max level compared to what happens before that.
    But having access to all your traits, your cookie cutter build, the best gear, all the dungeons and all the zones (and not being kicked out of dungeon/fractal groups is also nice) kind of is a game changer.

I despise levelling in every MMO and at this point I just use my tomes for 40-80 because it's painfully tedious and I hate being artificially barred from content.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post

Yes, the game doesn't offer anything significantly different at max level compared to what happens before that.
    But having access to all your traits, your cookie cutter build, the best gear, all the dungeons and all the zones (and not being kicked out of dungeon/fractal groups is also nice) kind of is a game changer.

I despise levelling in every MMO and at this point I just use my tomes for 40-80 because it's painfully tedious and I hate being artificially barred from content.
    This /10chars

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    the best gear
    Erm, wha? Gear is largely irrelevant outside of dungeons and even then it is debatable.
    all the zones (and not being kicked out of dungeon/fractal groups is also nice) kind of is a game changer.
    1) People kicking you out of dungeons is a people problem, not a game problem.
    2) It's literally not a game changer because you don't do anything different that you didn't already do in terms of gameplay. GW2 leveling is a contrived mechanism to provide the semblance of progression, not to build a layered foundation of gameplay.

That being said, I do understand the psychological *feels* and I agree with you. I want to just be 80 and go do whatever the mess I want. Levels was a last minute decision from what I've heard and the game should have not had them. I would prefer if leveling was account wide and all characters you create are the same level you have achieved minus any traits you need to unlock with money/playing.
    BAD WOLF

That would be why they have tomes. If you've already hit max level, you'll fairly quickly accumulate enough tomes to help you skip a good chunk of leveling on an alt.

I've always thought of it as "max level opens more options, not more game styles" or somesuch.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

And I'm saying all those things are irrelevant to the game design. There is a reason why explorables are not all scaled to 80. There is only like 2 while the rest are 35-75. Being max efficient and being able to play the content is 2 different things. The game was designed for you to not be efficient but still be able to do the content.

For example I've completed level 39 fractals in masterwork and zero agony resist. Not saying because I am good but because I knew what I was doing. I've done those fights so many times I knew when agony was coming and how to avoid it - of course I ran this in a guild because in a PUG people still have that WoW mindset where you need to be in all exotics/ascended with 50 AR in order to do anything, which is wrong (of course this is negated after a certain point, agony will eventually just one shot you)

As for PvP everyone is on an even playing field so yea.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Erm, wha? Gear is largely irrelevant outside of dungeons and even then it is debatable.
    Irrelevant to you personally. Not irrelevant to a lot of people.
    Having a properly geared/traited/skilled group melt through an explorable in 10 minutes is a lot more effective (dare I say fun?) than struggling for eternity because people are wearing lvl40 healing power + vitality gear.

1) People kicking you out of dungeons is a people problem, not a game problem.
    2) It's literally not a game changer because you don't do anything different that you didn't already do in terms of gameplay. GW2 leveling is a contrived mechanism to provide the semblance of progression, not to build a layered foundation of gameplay.
    It's irrelevant to game design but not irrelevant to the gameplay experience itself. As GW2 is an MMO you have to interact with a very large number of people in order to achieve your goals, which unavoidably brings with it a range of widely accepted/tolerated social norms. An obvious one being that you'll most likely be negatively discriminated against in Fractals (and to a lesser extend explorables) if you're not lvl80.

As to your second point, you are gated from accessing certain dungeons, certain zones (in the form of immune mobs), certain traits and certain gear - by the game design itself. The above mentioned social 'gating' comes into play on top of this.

I have a blast while exploring in GW2. The leveling happened as a side product. I understand that you might not enjoy it but to say that someone is being disingenuous because you don't like to level is a bit unfair. I would definitely have preferred it if they didn't put leveling in the game because I don't think its necessary. It's an artificial progression. That said, it's not that bad. It may get tedious after your 3rd alt but there are a lot of different leveling paths and they have added the instant level 20's and the tombs to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I have a blast while exploring in GW2. The leveling happened as a side product. I understand that you might not enjoy it but to say that someone is being disingenuous because you don't like to level is a bit unfair. I would definitely have preferred it if they didn't put leveling in the game because I don't think its necessary. It's an artificial progression. That said, it's not that bad. It may get tedious after your 3rd alt but there are a lot of different leveling paths and they have added the instant level 20's and the tombs to help.
    Rumors say that half way through development Anet wanted to scrap levels entirely but that would put them back everything

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Rumors say that half way through development Anet wanted to scrap levels entirely but that would put them back everything
    It would be really easy for them to bounce your level to 80 after the initial intro section. They could then balance all maps on level 80 chars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ohhhh...just saw this upcoming skin. It looks pretty awesome, I might have to put some cash towards this one.

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/...ery-outfit.jpg
    http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/...human-male.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/h2FObb9.jpg

Ohhh, though I sort of lol at the bare chest on the male version. Just strikes me as funny for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Ohhh, though I sort of lol at the bare chest on the male version. Just strikes me as funny for some reason
    FANSERVICE!!

There needs to be some fanservice outfits on male characters as well from time to time : 3

indeed, the only true bare chested armor is for the Norn!

10+ Year Old Account
    Zito has sent in almost 100 thousand petitions at this point, they had to make him stop. This one is just for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    indeed, the only true bare chested armor is for the Norn!
    Umm, there are others. My Norn warrior has a bare chest with some stuff, but it's not what you just posted. Granted it might still be Norn only, I don't know. Not at home so I can't post the pic.
    BAD WOLF

It's a start. It's not good enough

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Zito has sent in almost 100 thousand petitions at this point, they had to make him stop. This one is just for him.
    Umm, there are others. My Norn warrior has a bare chest with some stuff, but it's not what you just posted. Granted it might still be Norn only, I don't know. Not at home so I can't post the pic.
    Yeah, there's a few others I know. Scalywags is just leather straps(heavy armor of course!) or something and there's a few crop tops in the cloth and palte armor for guys.

This new one is just a costume though, I'm not really a fan of the full getups, but the seam between the top and bottom on normal outfits is often weird too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Yeah, there's a few others I know. Scalywags is just leather straps(heavy armor of course!) or something and there's a few crop tops in the cloth and palte armor for guys.

This new one is just a costume though, I'm not really a fan of the full getups, but the seam between the top and bottom on normal outfits is often weird too.
    I like the costumes the best because I just am not good at finding things that look right. Whether it's because the specific way the dye applies to it or just because it looks funky. My only 'main' is wearing one of the store sets. It's the leather one that has mesh leg and back panels for my Ranger.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    forgive me if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find a solid answer...maybe I have overlooked it. I have been saving up the scrolls that grant you a level with the idea that I was just going to use it on the new class coming out to quickly level them. I have heard talk, however, that these are not going to be effective and just turn into mats. Is this true? Should I just use them now to finish a character off before the expansion?

I haven't heard that. There would be a bit of an uproar if that was true so I highly doubt there is any truth to that rumor.