Shadow, looking for ways to improve gearing

So, this is me on armory: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kul-tiras/thalassia/advanced
    I have been thinking a lot about my haste : crit ratios and I was wondering other's opinions about my gearing. I'd like to keep hit cap, but I feel that I could be doing more.
    Besides what I have equipped, I also have a Witching Hourglass (to replace the stump once I can), and a Belt of Arcane Storms, and an X-tron ductape

Just to throw out some numbers:
    Unbuffed
    Haste: 2286..........27.46%
    Crit: 812............12.34%
    Mast: 557.............11.11
    Hit: 1743...........17.01%

If you have any ideas about how to reforge / regear or anything, please tell me.

Deleted
    What's wrong with this thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...aclysm-Edition ?

edit: Using 5 different kind of gems, no +50int on bracers, reforging one item to crit, mining, int/crit gem, haste gem, matching all sockets no matter the bonus, no power torrent, pvp wand...

HST > MST = CRT, not even gonna argue about the hit vs less than 17% hit.
    Last edited by mmoc12f026c685; 2011-04-24 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added some on topic

Reckless in your shoulders and belt, 40 int in the boots. I'd also swap to stats to chest - being a few points under hit is not a big deal at all. I usually run with anywhere between 16-17%, and don't notice much of a difference at all. You can reforge the crit on your ring if it really bothers you, but you'll pick up more int with stats to chest.
    Profanity is the inevitable linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother%$#@er.
    -
    Jamboro: 110 SPriest, Jamb: 110 Blood DK, Jambori: 110 Prot. Warrior,Jambro: 110 Frost Mage, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post

edit: Using 5 different kind of gems, no +50int on bracers, reforging one item to crit, mining, int/crit gem, haste gem, matching all sockets no matter the bonus, no power torrent, pvp wand...

HST > MST = CRT, not even gonna argue about the hit vs less than 17% hit.
    sorry, I needed to fix gemming, I actually did already but the armory hasn't reset. I am keeping the potent gem in shoulders for the moment, especially because I'm just waiting to replace them anyways.
    I don't have +50 int on bracers because we're currently lacking crystals, and to be technical, they're not BiS, and we try to save stuff for BiS's, we're not high progression, and so we don't get too many crystals. All the same, now that you mention it, I should get it anyways, time to farm...
    My gloves are haste/mastery and I reforged Mastery-> crit... what's wrong with that?
    I know I need to drop mining, I'm actually thinking of picking up enchanting, I'm finishing up farming and I'm going to start enchanting within the next few weeks.
    Power torrent, yeah, yeah, I'm waiting for incineratus
    pvp wand. I've done all of the heroics to get the wand around 50 or so times and am YET to see it drop. pvp wand > 333 wand, that's what I figured. Now that our holy priest has the wand from chim, I'm next in line, and my guild owes me it if the wand if it drops from trash.

I'm gonna go play the reforge game again and see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by jamlol View Post
    Reckless in your shoulders and belt, 40 int in the boots. I'd also swap to stats to chest - being a few points under hit is not a big deal at all. I usually run with anywhere between 16-17%, and don't notice much of a difference at all. You can reforge the crit on your ring if it really bothers you, but you'll pick up more int with stats to chest.
    As far as all of this goes, I'm willing to do it, but I'm a pessimist and I always worry when I'm under hit cap (yeah I'm one of those guys who plays it WAY too safe). However, if all goes well, I'll end up around 15%, which is, in my opinion, too low. All the same, 99% chance to hit should probably be fine. I'll try it out for a few weeks and see how it goes. I'm pulling top dps on most fights in my raid (should change now that people are catching up as far as gear goes), but since I'm not getting too many upgrades, I'm just trying my best to improve.

REforging is good. You just need to replace the gems in your Shoulders, Gloves, Boots and Belt. I have no idea why u went for the socket bonuses in your Shoulders and Boots, that's just stupid really. In your Gloves and Belt, you picked up 2 10 Int bonuses using 20Int/20Spirit. Int loss right there.

Replace the 4 gems I talked about with 40 Int.
    Get Power Torrent.
    Get 50 Int on Bracesr.
    Get 20 Stats on Chest.
    Get Lavawalker on Boots.
    Get a PvE Wand.

Try to get a new Trinket, Stump of Time sucks.
    Your Neck and Bracers do not have Haste (before reforging). Look into getting gear with Haste.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2011-04-25 at 04:45 AM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

It's really not complicated.

-Match sockets only when its worth it. 10 intellect -> 20 spirit or haste trade is not worth it, matching sockets. Intellect is worth over twice as much as any secondary stat, independent of your views on hit capping or not.

-Try to get haste on every single piece of gear. Innate haste, I mean. As an example, I have 3 pieces of gear with no innate haste: both trinkets (mirror, which you should get), DMC:V (reforged to haste, obviously), and T11 gloves.

- If a piece doesn't have haste, reforge to it, no exceptions.

- Don't be afraid to run a little below hit cap. 16% on up is good, in my opinion (I also like to be near hit cap but if you are sacrificing haste or int for hit, its going to be a DPS loss, almost guaranteed).

- Get 4 piece T11. It's not a huge boost, but it is a boost. Pick gloves or helm as your off piece, I recommend gloves and wear the spirit helm from V&T or, in your case, eng helm.

- Mining? Really? Come on, dude. Level an alt, and pick up tailoring. It's more than worth it.

Also, all the advice above is pretty good. Don't be cheap, get PT, you've got an epic weapon. 50 int to bracers, same deal. Don't be cheap. 20 stats - debatable, but obviously an upgrade. Mats are kind of ridiculous, though it will be better after the patch tomorrow.
    Last edited by Shartadin; 2011-04-25 at 03:03 PM.

You're biggest problem is that gemming/reforging is wasted in that you gem for hit, then reforge away from it, then enchant from it, then reforge away from it. You reforge crit to haste, then reforge mastery back to the crit you lost. All this does is make all your reforging worthless. You also don't seem to see that intel is above and beyond all else our BEST stat. Haste, our bread and butter stat, is worth about .6 intellect point for point. You have a yellow socket gemmed int/crit, you should NEVER have a gem with crit or mastery as a primary or secondary stat on it. Your gemming choices are:

Intel
    Int + Haste
    Int + Spirit
    54 Intel 3% increased crit damage

For your eng cogs those are the best choices to use so that is fine. For the hit thing personally I don't mind as long as I have 14% hit I don't feel like I'm missing out but if it really bothers you I suggest you start with ignoring hit and just regem all your gear correctly, then see how much more hit you need and reforge to it as needed.

Match sockets only when its worth it. 10 intellect -> 20 spirit or haste trade is not worth it, matching sockets. Intellect is worth over twice as much as any secondary stat, independent of your views on hit capping or not.
    Getting a yellow 10 Int bonus with a 20 Int / 20 Haste gem can sometimes be worth it, depending on your current gear. Getting a blue 10 Int bonus with a 20 Int / 20 Spirit or Hit gem, is never worth it.

You're biggest problem is that gemming/reforging is wasted in that you gem for hit, then reforge away from it, then enchant from it, then reforge away from it. You reforge crit to haste, then reforge mastery back to the crit you lost. All this does is make all your reforging worthless.
    Uhm, no? If the item lacks haste, he should always reforge to haste. Nothing wrong with reforing mastery to crit, since crit is better than mastery.

Int >>> Haste >> Spirit/Hit > Crit > Mastery
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2011-04-25 at 05:57 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by Shartadin View Post
    -Try to get haste on every single piece of gear. Innate haste, I mean. As an example, I have 3 pieces of gear with no innate haste: both trinkets (mirror, which you should get), DMC:V (reforged to haste, obviously), and T11 gloves.
    To be perfectly clear, try to remember I'm in a guild that is only 10/12. I've lost the rolls on my mirror 2 times, and the rolls on incineratus 4 times to different people. Once the mace from chogal drops, our Hpally is taking... I've been getting shit luck for gearing. I'm well aware that I need more stuff with innate haste, don't worry about that. Also, I've NEVER gotten a pve wand to drop. not even a 346. EVER

To be honest, a lot of the comments have been about hit, which if you haven't noticed, I'm low on as is. If i were to follow all of your suggestions, I would be even lower. I've picked up chanting, which I'll be leveling. I didn't go for the bonuses no matter what, most worked out towards hit. I'm going to keep the 20spi for 10int swap for a while, at least until I can pick my hit up again, it may be insignificant in the long run, but for now I'm gonna keep it. Thanks for the advice guys

Yea your hit is very low so I wouldn't do anything that lowers it even further right now. Power Torrent is definitely something you should switch too. I would suggest looking out for one of the wands from ZA/ZG... they will have 6 less int than what you have now, but the other secondary stats will make up for that slight loss For example Zulian Voodoo Stick. Wands are a crap heap for us sadly. I'd have to get PP values but I am pretty sure nearly all the 346 wands would be worse for you because you would be losing so much +int the other stats wouldn't be able to make-up for it. So basically don't stress about it

Overall you are looking good and like you are on the right direction with your gearing.

There's a couple things you can change that I think will help you out. I wouldn't bother with Incineratus to get power torrent. The PP difference between Blade of the Witching Hour and Incineratus is minuscule and not even worth wasting a roll on it. Put power torrent on what you have, and save your priority rolls for something that is a better upgrade like new shoulders or the Mirror next time it drops for you.

Since you like to run closer to the hit cap, I would change some of your reforging to spirit. Instead of forging Mastery-->Crit on your gloves, forge it to Spirit instead. Do the same on your ring Crit-->Spirit. Is there a reason you have the hit cog in your helm and not the spirit one? Spirit gives you the hit in addition to regen. There's no reason to use hit over spirit, ever. If you have a piece of gear that has hit and you're not reforging it for something else, forge the hit to spirit (i.e. your boots and offhand). It might not seem like a lot of regen, but every little bit helps as you progress further into endgame content. I would change the enchant on your chest to +Stats. You're better off forging some mastery or crit to Spirit instead of using the spirit enchant on your chest. Wands...the wand out of Grim Batol (Wand of Untainted Power) is actually almost identical in PP value to the PvP one you have now, and with the spirit on it pushing you closer to hit cap, it's a wash between the two. Even Cookie's Stirring Rod from Dead Mines is better than both wands from BWD if you don't need the hit. If you can pick up either of those two, I'd use one of them as opposed to the PvP one, until you can get the BoE drop or Finkle's.

Even though you said you don't want to change out your Purified Demonseyes in your gloves and belt, it's better to put Brilliants there and forge a lesser stat to spirit. It takes a lot of mastery and crit to make up for the intellect gains from the gems, and you should definitely change them out. I try to balance my hit around pieces with spirit and haste on them. The gloves from Chimaeron would be a nice pickup to help you get closer to hit cap. Until then though, add some spirit reforging to some of your pieces to get you closer. It also helps if you OS heal to have some reforged spirit pieces to use in both specs as you are gearing.

Cheers!

Umm... spirit only gives regen out of combat for spriests... so it's really not much better than hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Umm... spirit only gives regen out of combat for spriests... so it's really not much better than hit.
    This is true, but as I mentioned, being able to use gear pieces for OS is a really nice plus for us. Having the spirit cog in the eng helm would make it a very nice piece for OS healing also. I don't know the poster's raid situation, but I end up having to swap heals on certain fights depending on our raid composition. Having a lot of dual use pieces is really convenient depending on the kind of drops you can get. It just adds to our versatility. If you never ever plan on healing, well then yes, it's not worth the bother.

It is nice, but that only works if your offspec is holy and you fall on the haste > mastery spectrum for holy. Disc's needs on secondary stats are completely different than what we want as shadow. But I just didn't want to suddenly have someone running around saying that spirit > hit for spriests always... because well that will lead to all kinds of crazy arguments and stuff and eventually lead to my head exploding