Page 1 of 2
LastLast

is this GPU Blocking the PCI slots?

Hello

Okay so i was looking at computers and what not.. Trying to get my feel on them due to the fact that i am a scrub when it comes to them

So i was just browing PC's on newegg and saw this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...emium%2064-bit

if you click on the 6th picture starting from the top left moving right you will see the inside of the PC from the motherboard view.

Also here is the motherboard that is installed into that PC
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...%20Motherboard

As you can see it has two PCI-e slots and two PCI slots

But from the view that camera is showing on the installed Mobo, It looks like that GPU is blocking the 2 PCI slots, Is it really like this? Do some people have problems with these fat GPU cards blocking other components like this here?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most likely it is blocking one and not the other. I have that same issue on my MB. Its funny that they give you these slots but not always room to put the things in them. Oh well I am sure there are more of us that never fill all of our expansion slots than those who do any ways (A slightly educated guess).
    Cairne, my brother, I will avenge your death, Magatha Grimtotem and her followers will pay with their lives.

Yep, it's totally normal that current gaming graphics cards block one expansion slot, some cards even block two. But it doesn't really matter since soundcard and network card are now built-in, and there's very little you might want to add in anymore.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I had the same problem on an old computer. Had to drop out the newly bought sound card, and use the integrated one. Which kind of sucked, but liveable.

Deleted
    Use the second PCIe slot. Problem solved.

That specific GPU, due to the cooler, takes up three slots - if put into the first PCI-E slot, it will block both PCI slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
    I had the same problem on an old computer. Had to drop out the newly bought sound card, and use the integrated one. Which kind of sucked, but liveable.
    This is what I had to do recently but realtek onboard is crap. Surround sound doesn't work at all. So I'm looking at getting a Sabertooth P67 board which is one of the ONLY boards that has a top PCI slot allowing the use of a sound card.

Really disappointed the Maximus Extreme 4 doesn't allow use of sound cards =(.

Yeah, there are a select few cards that block 2 slots instead of one. The ASUS Ares comes to mind.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

some very big cards will block multiple blocks, but that is fine.

for example, if the card only work for dual SLI or xfire anyways (for example it is already naturally SLI-ed), MB that will only support at least triple/quad SLI will be large enough to support it.

the reason of why normal dual SLI mobo wont fit is that even if they allow is, overheating and the mobo not being to operating it at dual SLI is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendhammer View Post
    This is what I had to do recently but realtek onboard is crap. Surround sound doesn't work at all. So I'm looking at getting a Sabertooth P67 board which is one of the ONLY boards that has a top PCI slot allowing the use of a sound card.

Really disappointed the Maximus Extreme 4 doesn't allow use of sound cards =(.
    PCIe 1x cards can be seated in a PCIe 16x slot, so, unless you have a second video card, just put it there.
    Also, keep in mind that PCI and PCIe 1x, is not the same ^^

The PCI slot on the Sabertooth P67 is all the way down on the board, not above the other slots
    And the Maximus IV Extreme has plenty of options for a PCIe soundcard, but it doesn't have a PCI slot.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-04-24 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    PCIe 1x cards can be seated in a PCIe 16x slot, so, unless you have a second video card, just put it there.
    Also, keep in mind that PCI and PCIe 1x, is not the same ^^

The PCI slot on the Sabertooth P67 is all the way down on the board, not above the other slots
    And the Maximus IV Extreme has plenty of options for a PCIe soundcard, but it doesn't have a PCI slot.
    Apologies, I meant PCIe-1x.

And yeah, I have SLId 580s. One card, of course, takes up 2 slots and the second card takes up three.

I really don't mind videocards taking up 2 expansion slots, but 3 is really much :|
    Not that there isn't room for it, but the idea of needing so much space for a simple card...

Anyway, I just bought the P8P67 Deluxe, also has a top PCIe 1x slot on top.
    Yes, there aren't many out there, but your options sure aren't limited to one. If you want to save some money get the Asus P8P67, also has a PCIe-1x slot on top

To maybe lighten up my explanation from my previous post:
    a PCIe card will physically fit (and work correctly) in any slot that is at least as large as it is (e.g., an ×1 sized card will work in any sized slot)
    -- I took a look at the Maximux IV Extreme, and even with your cards, you still have the bottom-most PCIe-4x slot for your soundcard
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-04-24 at 07:37 PM.

Deleted
    For the Gigabyte MoBO the second PCI-E16x is running at 4x, so it'd drop performance with the GFX card to use it to avoid blocking the PCI slot. It's an issue with most low-mid range motherboards. Some more expensive MoBos are designed with multiple graphics cards in mind and have two or more extra PCI-E16x slots running at at least 8x, but generally they're poor with PCI slot availability.
    Last edited by mmocb803490959; 2011-04-24 at 07:43 PM.

Out of all the rigs I've built and all the things I know about hardware, I never knew you could scale PICe 1x into PCIe 16x. It makes obvious sense of course.

Learn something new everyday. My last slot open was 16x, and I now have my sound card back. Thanks Asmekiel!

If it'll fit in the slot, it'll usually work. You can even run an x16 card at x1, so long as the slot is physically able to take the card.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

I only learned that 3 weeks back also, so don't worry :P
    Sometimes friends with some experience and wikipedia/google are very good friends

This page is also nice if you want to learn a little bit more.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-04-24 at 08:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quite interesting numbers those on performance, was under the impression that 8x+ was recommended to get most out of the card, but the changes are surprisingly small. Never did the maths or research, having a free 16x slot in the optimal spot. Live and learn. ^_^
    So if the second slot being 4x and an insignificant loss of performance compared to gaining access to the PCI slot, if really necessary, would be worth it. Personally went on to use on-board sound that had continued support over old PCI soundblaster, despite having a free PCI slot.
    Last edited by mmocb803490959; 2011-04-24 at 09:07 PM. Reason: moved edited part...

I don't have any numbers, but does anyone know how many people actually still use PCI slots?
    Less and less mobo's actually have PCI slots and if they do, it's mostly one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    I don't have any numbers, but does anyone know how many people actually still use PCI slots?
    Less and less mobo's actually have PCI slots and if they do, it's mostly one.
    I use a PCI wireless network card if it means anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    I use a PCI wireless network card if it means anything.
    First thing I found when googling for some number:
    http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/pci-why-wont-it-die/

Apparently there are still many people using PCI-cards