Thread: Math lulz

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    0 = 0, eh? I actually wrote this one on the board in my high school algebra class once, but to my great disappointment my teacher caught it immediately. Turns out he actually knows math =(
    Yeah.... almost all of the 1=2 (or 4=5 or 0=1 or whatever) riddles fall back to division by zero or the omission of the "absolute value"-signs (like in this picture from a few posts earlier, ofc 4-4,5 isn't equal 5-4,5, but |4-4,5|=|5-4,5|), so those errors are not too hard to spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by quran View Post
    Aaaaand another one fall for the TROLL science.
    hu? where did I fall?

Deleted
    I am horrified that some people claim that one constant i.e 0,99...9 equals another constant i.e 1, just like that

On an exam paper I ended up with an equasion having the answer of 6=4. It was at that point I realised something had gone horribly wrong at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    I am horrified that some people claim that one constant i.e 0,99...9 equals another constant i.e 1, just like that
    It's not 0.99999....9, it's 0.99999.... And it's not another constant, it's another way to write the same constant. In fact, all decimal numbers with a finite representation have another one with trailing 9s.

1.000... = 0.999...
    0.25000... = 0.249999...

This happens in every base, e.g. in binary 0.111... = 1

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ano View Post
    It's not 0.99999....9, it's 0.99999.... And it's not another constant, it's another way to write the same constant. In fact, all decimal numbers with a finite representation have another one with trailing 9s.

1.000... = 0.999...
    0.25000... = 0.249999...

This happens in every base, e.g. in binary 0.111... = 1
    good clarification.
    it's not "just like that", it IS the same number. 0.999.....9 is ending, so 1-0.9999....9 results in a result that isn't zero. 1-0.9period (don't know if that's the correct english way of saying it, it means that there is an infinite number of 9s) results in 0. if a-b=0, then a=b.

-e^(i*pi)=1

it's kinda wierd when you think about this one.
    "e" is irrational
    "pi" is also irrational
    "i" is imaginary SQRT(-1)
    and if you put them together you get ..... 1

and also the fact 0.1 decadic is irrational in binary code is kinda wierd :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's beautify this Euler's identity a little:

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    Yeah.... almost all of the 1=2 (or 4=5 or 0=1 or whatever) riddles fall back to division by zero or the omission of the "absolute value"-signs (like in this picture from a few posts earlier, ofc 4-4,5 isn't equal 5-4,5, but |4-4,5|=|5-4,5|), so those errors are not too hard to spot.

hu? where did I fall?
    You "failed" because you assumed that the poster of that image was being serious.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    You "failed" because you assumed that the poster of that image was being serious.
    /facetroll

Intel on the subj:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfcK...layer_embedded

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Nah, never assumed said poster didn't know the solution.

also math, empiric proof that 5!=6, if you will...:

A humanitarian approach:

What happens when you cross a mountain climber and a mosquito?
    Don't be silly you can't evaluate the cross product of a scalar and a vector!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bublex View Post
    -e^(i*pi)=1

it's kinda wierd when you think about this one.
    "e" is irrational
    "pi" is also irrational
    "i" is imaginary SQRT(-1)
    and if you put them together you get ..... 1

and also the fact 0.1 decadic is irrational in binary code is kinda wierd :P

Wolfram|Alpha is god

Daaang, am I rusty or what. I thought the OP's picture spelled "Ner'zhul." Christ, I am such a nerd sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    Daaang, am I rusty or what. I thought the OP's picture spelled "Ner'zhul." Christ, I am such a nerd sometimes...
    For a while i was trying to figure out if he spelled E-Nerd

That E thing is actually an S in greek. So is ß in a different language because knowledge is power.

I am now determined to re-learn integrals.