Arcane gear check

Im curious if arcane is really only viable with really solid gear. My Mage is mostly raid epics but I don't want to waste my time and money if it a spec out reach bc of my gear.
    "I promise Stormbolts dmg isnt broken"
    Patbottoms-Dalaran, US

no link to your mage, and tbh just sim your mage (SimCraft for the sims, Rawr to optimize for each spec) for fire and arcane since your dps will change depending on the gear that you have. Additionally, your ability to actually play the spec in a raid environment will have a huge impact on your dps, so if you don't know it: either start practicing as much as you can or don't bother.

Which stat is most needed for arcane to achieve first?

Quote Originally Posted by Markofcain View Post
    Im curious if arcane is really only viable with really solid gear. My Mage is mostly raid epics but I don't want to waste my time and money if it a spec out reach bc of my gear.

To be honest, what do you expect?

Your OP + your Title doesn't even contain some kind of question, so what do you want to hear? To be fair, you wrote you are curious, if arcane is really only viable with really solid gear and some bla bla about your mage and wasting time and stuff. What do you consider really solid? 333? 349? 359? 372?

TL;DR: Dont be lazy, read the forum. Short Version: Arcane = Viable at some encounters, but not with some green/blues and stuff. You need knowledge about your raid setup and the encounter you are facing. Everything else is practice, practice, some SimC and Rawr for the optimization and even more important: practice.

@Roshurr
    Strength and Resilience. 2400 should be enough. Read the stickies, thats why they are... sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Roshurr View Post
    Which stat is most needed for arcane to achieve first?

mastery>haste>crit

ok let me be more specific since i am being so "lazy". I figured it was common thought that full heroic gear including the shard was needed to play arcane, in my words "solid". My mage is ilvl 352 that being said it is obvious that we are still working our way through normals. I felt my question was pretty straight forward. Is arcane so gear dependent that it REQUIRES hm raid gear or can it be pulled off effectively with normal mode gear. If i wanted some douche bag answer Antueater i would of gone to ej. so plz dont ruin this site for me.
    "I promise Stormbolts dmg isnt broken"
    Patbottoms-Dalaran, US

ok let me be more specific since i am being so "lazy". I figured it was common thought that full heroic gear including the shard was needed to play arcane, in my words "solid". My mage is ilvl 352 that being said it is obvious that we are still working our way through normals. I felt my question was pretty straight forward. Is arcane so gear dependent that it REQUIRES hm raid gear or can it be pulled off effectively with normal mode gear. If i wanted some douche bag answer Antueater i would of gone to ej. so plz dont ruin this site for me.
    Lol the only "douche bag answer antueater" I see in here is you. If you want polite intelligent discussion you need to start by being polite and intelligent. Asking questions that need background information to properly answer wont cut it. Nor will throwing a hissy fit when you get called out. It is the likes of you that ruin forums, certainly not anyone that regularly posts on EJ.

Short answer: No, HM gear is not required to be a good arcane mage, although with the larger mana pools that come with it arcane becomes increasingly more powerful.

Methusula: You're post wasn't productive in any way, don't bother posting a reply if it has nothing to do with the OP's question

Arcane currently isn't viable on any fight with a high movement or aoe requirement unless it is the only way for your comp to have the 3% dmg buff. Even then it may not be worth it, especially on aoe fights.

AFAIK there are no gear thresholds that magically make arcane awesome. Most fights this tier just flat out suck for arcane.

/tomorrow's patch MAY change this, however.

Thanks for your constructive criticism about me answering sarcastic to your, well, question between the lines. I didn't mean to offend you in any way and if I did I apologize for making you feel this way.

Since you now provided some more and useful informations, here are some thoughts:

- Considering your ilvl (352) and your level of progression (I think around 6/12?) I would douche bagy suggest you stick with Fire if you are raiding 10-mans and would say give arcane a shot if you are raiding 25-mans and have enough AoE power in your raid
    - NO, arcane is not THAT gear dependent. Your dont need HM gear to pull off whopping DPS (Im ilvl 360, at Chim NHC I am able to pull off 18 - 20k with Fire and about 19 - 21 with arcane [reforged properly] , give or take a thousand and consider the usual RNG complaints) You dont want to be almost full blue-ish either. If you are able to get a solid basis (Power Torrent on your MH, DMC:V and TM as trinkets and maybe a Lightweave Embroidery as your Cloak Enchant) you should be doing OK.

You dont want to be arcane on specific fights involving heavy AoE or Movement like Halfus, Maloriak or Atramedes. The cast time reduction of 0.35 seconds of AB in 4.1 should give a nice increase in arcane DPS, but always consider, that you will burn through your mana a whole lot faster. Practice arcane and maybe give it a shot.