Cannot put my graphic settings passed fair anymore.

When I bought Cata, I was able to put my settings all the way to Ultra, I quit WoW for 2 months, uninstalled the game when I did. I came back a few weeks ago but a little before that, I was no longer able to set my video settings passed fair.

My video card is a nvidia geforce 9800m gt

I've tried updating my drivers and nothing seems to work. What can I do?
    A man boarded a plane with six kids.
    After they got settled in their seats a woman sitting across the aisle from him leaned
    Over to him and asked, "Are all of those kids yours ? "
    He replied, " No Ma'am, I work for a condom company
    ...These are customer complaints.

--

10+ Year Old Account
    Mix it up, I've found it worked for me before I updated my stuff Just turn somethings down and turn somethings up you'd b surprised take an hour or 2 out to do it.

Deleted
    Hmm, do you mean that the game actually won't let you move the slider past fair? Otherwise, try turning down some of the more intensive settings, such as Shadow Detail and View Distance.

A few things it might be.

Your 9800m gt is quite an old card these days (even for a laptop) if your trying to raid with ultra settings then thats your problem. Sure u can sit in org etc or do dailys but as soon as lots of spells start going off it will drop to its knees.

It also could be that the card is trying to run the game in DX11, your card only supports DX10 somthing to look into.

I think I red a blue post somewhere (customer support if I'm not mistaken) that they put this check in if your hardware appears to be lackluster for certain settings. I also think they are removing it next patch (i.e. today/tomorrow) but display a warning now, as it wasn't detecting the card correctly in all circumstances.

Might be completly wrong here however

10+ Year Old Account
    All the way to Ultra on a 9800m GT at playable FPS? Isn't that a laptop's video card...?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    All the way to Ultra on a 9800m GT at playable FPS? Isn't that a laptop's video card...?
    He never said playable FPS, just that he was able to do so. Read.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    He never said playable FPS, just that he was able to do so. Read.
    Then I dont understand his question if someone was wanting to know why there system cant run in ultra setting you would be expecting they are wanting to PLAY it on ultra?

There's no need to be arrogant about it.

Hi everaye, a buddy of mine was going through the same issue recently, after a little digging this is what I found. It appears to be a Nvidea issue.

Look for these lines in your config.wtf file (located in World of Warcraft\WTF)

SET gxAPI "opengl"

SET fixedfunction "1"

If either is there, delete them. You'll need to use an editor like Notepad or Wordpad to do that.

If the opengl one is there, also check the desktop shortcut.

Right click it, select properties, then look at the Target line. If it has -opengl on the end, remove it.

Now try the game again.

Deleted
    Considering the age of gpu in the laptop it is fair to assume a really old CPU like Core 2 xxxx. I put my money on a combination of all components in a dated laptop and possibly one that needs a good clean :P

No shadow
    Multisample at 2x
    AF at trilinear
    No sunshaft

Everything else at Ultra, maybe turn down the view distance a little bit.

yes i want to play in ultra again but i have a gaming laptop. and there is an orange bar passed fair which wont let me go any higher. a couple of months ago i was playing in ultra. wth.

---------- Post added 2011-04-26 at 04:47 PM ----------

also i get between 30-60 fps in raids so its not terrible.

---------- Post added 2011-04-26 at 04:48 PM ----------

Also...

I have a dell.
    After they got settled in their seats a woman sitting across the aisle from him leaned

--

Hey there,

Your laptop might be a "gaming" laptop but a 9800m gt will strugle in a raiding environment it on ultra. I think wow might have been displaying it wrong for it being able to do it.

I cant see how your 9800m GT can do 30-60 fps on ultra in a raiding environment.

I raid with a much bigger/newer card and dont even bother having it on ultra (there is kinda no points having it all shinney) yet is still drops to low frames on fights like heroic halfus or any heavy graphic fights.

The whole "I have a Dell" Im not sure about but where I live (New zealand) but Dell is not great here.

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 06:35 PM ----------

I do remember near the start of cata blizzard added in a patch if your hardware (graphics card) doesnt have some of the new rendering or pixel shader hardware built in it limits the card from being able to force run it, I think it was cause alot of peoples issues people had early on in cata.

Alot of people still thing wow can run on anything, but in fact for heavy raiding it takes quite high specs to run it well.

Like i said in my first post there is a massive diffrence from doing a 5man heroic or doing dailys, sure you might beable to get 30-60 fps.

But with most raiding fights in cata they have crap tons of spell detail etc in most of the encounters.
    Last edited by Saught; 2011-04-27 at 05:38 AM.

9800GT is fine for running WoW on ultra if his CPU allows (naturally turning the shadows down). WoW doesn't require a big/new card to be ran well. What Saught said about rendering and shader stuff is correct, WoW will limit some settings if your GPU does not support them. It's weird though if you were able to turn everything to ultra earlier in Cata, and now can't.

Are you sure that wasn't in Wrath?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    9800GT is fine for running WoW on ultra if his CPU allows (naturally turning the shadows down). WoW doesn't require a big/new card to be ran well. What Saught said about rendering and shader stuff is correct, WoW will limit some settings if your GPU does not support them. It's weird though if you were able to turn everything to ultra earlier in Cata, and now can't.

Are you sure that wasn't in Wrath?
    If you want ultra liquids, ultra view distance and lots of ground clutter while keep yourself at 60 fps in all situations, you'll want something beefier than some 2-3 year old mid-range card.

But I agree something is fishy that the game doesn't allow settings to be set past fair.

I'd try just deleting the WTF folder in order to rule out any weird config lines.

i dont really need to amazing graphics, all I really want is to see shit properly on the ground. I don't die to stupid shit but sometimes, I really have to squint and stare to look for efflor. and just bad things in general.

Update: with the new patch, I can put my settings higher again.

--