Thread: DotA 2!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

DotA 2!

To sum up DotA 2 it is best described as an Action RTS (real time strategy), if your not sure what an RTS is, the starcraft and warcraft series are good examples. Games such as Age of empires, red alert or any of those are also considered RTS typed genre games. Originally DotA stands for Defense of the ancients which was a type of mod for warcraft 3 in its days which was a specific type of mod that made 30-60minute length games where you and somewhat of an army, who in most cases would be friends, would battle against an enemy force which could be computer generated opponents or real life peoples (which was most common in LAN based touraments back in the days). During the game you would earn gold for kills and could use this gold to earn items or consumables which could be upgraded over time. The large discrepancy of what genre this is considered is because that over the game length you would essentially hit a max level and near that point the game would finish. If you were to play again, you would restart a game at level 1 to battle a whole new "army". Essentially, this shows RPG like game mechanics, but since you are hitting max level an infinite amount of times, it is best described as an Action RTS. Not long after the DotA warcraft mod was released, it became widely populated by people all over the world and soonafter games like League of Legends were created which are the same mechanics as the original DotA but updated and maintained a lot like other games (Starcraft, world of warcraft, ect).

So, DotA 2 is coming back but with an all new release and a brand new plateform which is attempting to redifine its series.

Incase your wondering, its being made by Valve. Yes, the creators of portal 1 + 2.

Yes, remember portal 1? it wasn't considered a sole game, it was included in the orange box collection which came with a couple of games (portal 2, team fortress, ect) so it was considered a lot like an expansion or mod since it was a never before seen genre. DotA and portal 1 are similar stories because of this, and if you see how successful portal 2 was on release and the scores its recieve, im thinking the DotA predecessor is going to be incredible!

ME and a lot of players from League of legends, and the original DotA MOBA are patiently waiting for this game and will be following it all the way to its release!

More info can be found here - dota2/
    Here is an aritcle on DotA 2 - Game informer article
    PM me with any questions/concerns you may have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm, i'm buying it :P

No word on a release date? it says next year and that's dated November last year
    Last edited by Alraml; 2011-04-26 at 02:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really excited about DotA 2, but I'm afraid they won't remove creep deny, which I think is a very stupid mechanic...
    I'll give it a try, but I don't think I'll take it seriously...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pooper View Post
    Whats the point of this thread? Theres no release date, beta, or even screens. First thing first... then we can say its good or bad game.

Anyways.. I think most of LoL players would be disapointed since the game is much harder, lot complex and it costs money.

What is the point of any thread? To discuss the title.. Right about now im wondering why I have to explain this to someone.

Anyways, back on topic. As of now there isn't a set release but im almost positive it wont be this year and if so then Q4 at the earliest.
    PM me with any questions/concerns you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gat View Post
    What is the point of any thread? To discuss the title.. Right about now im wondering why I have to explain this to someone.

Anyways, back on topic. As of now there isn't a set release but im almost positive it wont be this year and if so then Q4 at the earliest.
    If you read what he wrote....

There is no info, no screenshots, no release date. Nothing.
    It's like discussing Warcraft 4. You cannot talk about something if it didn't release any information.

Other than that, I'll keep a close eye on DotA2 but yeah, no information about said topic makes it hard to discuss.

I hate DotA with a passion. It ruined the good days of Angel Arena in WC3. I like to join the Asian servers and troll the crap out of them by doing stupid crap on purpose. Then laugh as they cuss at me in their Korean language. I get booted. I move on to the next server.
    “Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.”

Quote Originally Posted by LeBoucher View Post
    I hate DotA with a passion. It ruined the good days of Angel Arena in WC3. I like to join the Asian servers and troll the crap out of them by doing stupid crap on purpose. Then laugh as they cuss at me in their Korean language. I get booted. I move on to the next server.
    You must be such a cool bro

Hope its a joke rly.. I've got LoL alrdy and theres HoN too .. So i guess both games lose players to Dota 2 and then there will be like 1/4 who plays Dota 1/4 who plays HoN 1/4 who plays lol etc etc . Rly plz dont make it valve-.-

Considering Valve instead of making more Co-op maps for Portal 2 decided it would be a brilliant idea to stuff it full of emotes and skins which you have to pay actual money for im not exactly looking forward to DoTA2 at all.

As a fan of HoN and DotA before it (as well as Portal I and II), I'll certainly be trying out DotA2 and I'm excited to see what Valve can do for the genre. That being said, I'm apprehensive, as Blizzard may well try and trademark many aspects of DotA because it was made using the WCIII engine. Without certain key features (e.g. certain heroes and items), DotA2 will be doomed from the start.

I own Starcraft 2 and Blizzard has already announced they are releasing a DOTA for it. I see no reason to own 2 versions of DOTA.

oh, ok, let valve turn a already popular game into a even more refined game (made by the actual people who made dota granted), and then lets poop on it before there is even gameplay footage, haha.

im sure it;ll be nothing short of fantastic, it's not only valve either, it's the people who made the original also

Hope its a joke rly.. I've got LoL alrdy and theres HoN too .. So i guess both games lose players to Dota 2 and then there will be like 1/4 who plays Dota 1/4 who plays HoN 1/4 who plays lol etc etc . Rly plz dont make it valve-.-
    If you've ever actually played dota, those games just don't cut it. First of all, the graphics in HoN are a huge turnoff, everything blends together and it's quite distracting. LoL isn't a terrible game, but it's different. If DoTA players could have the new feature of DoTA 2 with the graphics of DoTA 1, I'm sure they would take it.

On a side note, the reason there is hardly any info about it is because if they release everything now, there will be no hype by the time the game is released. Come Autumn I'm sure they will start.
    no u missunderstood, I lied. -despairsodelicious

You're missing some major info there matey.
    During Warcraft 3: the Frozen Throne, someone made a map called DotA Allstars. There were many DotA maps at that time and this one included all the coolest heroes from the other maps + some golden oldies + some original new ones. This was being run by Guinsoo iirc (hence the sheepstick in DotA allstars name: Guinsoo's Scythe of Vise).

Now Guinsoo did a lot of trouble to make his map as balanced as possible, while adding new fun elements which were absent in the other DotA maps. Clan TDA (Team DotA Allstars) was formed and started a wave of clans, private channels and arranged matches. As time progressed, guinsoo quit and the baton was handed down to several people until it finally reached Icefrog.
    Icefrog was the man who made DotA into the E-sport we know it as today. He has spent more time into balancing DotA (and with DotA I mean DotA Allstars) than any other editor of the map before and made some of the best changes the game has seen since it was first released on Bnet.

Now.... After it's popularity 2 new competitors shot out of the ground which we all know:
    LoL. This was made by many of the people who worked on DotA before Icefrog and thus had the most experience with MOBAs themselves.
    HoN. This was a carbon copy of a previous version of DotA Allstars with different names and models for all heroes, abilities, items etc. As Beta of the game progressed things were changed. Many of the heroes are still 1 on 1 copies of DotA Allstars, however the game has progressed into it's own system of balance and I finally feel the game is starting to have a unique feel to it (before it really felt like a stupid 1on1 DotA ripoff with better graphics).

NOW!!!!!!
    THE REASON WHY DOTA 2 HAS SO MANY PEOPLE HYPED UP!!!!!

It's been common knowledge for a while now that Icefrog (the dude we all know and love for his work on DotA allstars) got recruited by Valve.
    It was only a matter of time before they would announce a DotA style game. Instead they just announced the game will be called DotA 2 and Icefrog IS one of the main people working on it.

TL;DR: Not so much that Valve is making DotA2, it's the guy they hired to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That morphling artwork is fantastic btw