Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterprtzl View Post
    Hmm interesting, well I just moved the ram over to two different slots (I couldn't get them back in the original slots due to my enourmous heatsink D they are still paired (both in blue instead of black now)

and no D: i crashed again :/ ughhh

Okay so now its not finding my hard drive, insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

This seems to indicate something wrong with the C: drive, its my SSD, or connection to it.
    Ugh, don't move the RAM, it's probably DC RAM. Put it in slots 2 and 4 and just do the quick fix I posted every time you cold boot until you can get your hands on some 1866 MHz RAM.

The harddrive issue is just a sideeffect of the failed clock. Do you expect it to find the SATA ports if it won't go past the RAM?

EDIT: And like fuzzykins said, update your BIOS. Download it onto your computer and use the flash update option in the BIOS. Better yet, take your computer to a local computer tech and say "Get it working please" pay the $100 or so and get it done the easy way.

EDIT 2: While you're at the computer tech ask him to try a 44 multiplier. The 2600k can run that on air cooling no problems.

EDIT 3: going to bed, GO TO THE TECH.
    Last edited by Toziel; 2011-04-26 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    That looks like it could be the Marvell SATA 6Gbps controller that's causing that. Try plugging any SATA drives you have plugged into the two slots closest to the RAM into one of the 3GBps ports (if you have a new B3 stepping board, they're fine... and even if it's an older board from before the recall, they probably haven't degraded yet). See if that changes anything.

Hmm okay, well maybe im in the 85-95% of boards that dont have a problem and I am super lucky! :X otherwise I am gonna have to put my CD drive into the 3gbs + external sata into a 3gbs and then the other 2 6gbs use for my two hard drives :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm okay, well maybe im in the 85-95% of boards that dont have a problem and I am super lucky! :X otherwise I am gonna have to put my CD drive into the 3gbs + external sata into a 3gbs and then the other 2 6gbs use for my two hard drives :/
    Why are you concerned? You couldn't have been sold a glitched motherboard unless you bought them the week they came out. Intel was REALLY fast about pulling them off the market.

That looks like it could be the Marvell SATA 6Gbps controller that's causing that. Try plugging any SATA drives you have plugged into the two slots closest to the RAM into one of the 3Gbps ports (if you have a new B3 revision board, they're fine... and even if it's an older board from before the recall, they probably haven't degraded yet). See if that changes anything.

Edit: @ above post, what port is your C: drive plugged into?

C drive was in the ones closest to the RAM (darker blue colored) I moved them to the lighter blue 3gbs.

---------- Post added 2011-04-26 at 05:49 PM ----------

That looks like it could be the Marvell SATA 6Gbps controller that's causing that. Try plugging any SATA drives you have plugged into the two slots closest to the RAM into one of the 3Gbps ports (if you have a new B3 revision board, they're fine... and even if it's an older board from before the recall, they probably haven't degraded yet). See if that changes anything.

Edit: @ above post, what port is your C: drive plugged into?

Ive been trying to update bios / firmware but cant find any good downloads for it, the ASUS website is a mess. It also warns that before bios updates make sure you have a stable power connection to the PC i.e. no random restarts (like its doing now).
    C drive was in the ones closest to the RAM (darker blue colored) I moved them to the lighter blue 3gbs.

---------- Post added 2011-04-26 at 05:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Why are you concerned? You couldn't have been sold a glitched motherboard unless you bought them the week they came out. Intel was REALLY fast about pulling them off the market.
    I received mine the day before they announced the problems -.- after i had built my machine etc.

---------- Post added 2011-04-26 at 05:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Toziel View Post
    Ugh, don't move the RAM, it's probably DC RAM. Put it in slots 2 and 4 and just do the quick fix I posted every time you cold boot until you can get your hands on some 1866 MHz RAM.

The harddrive issue is just a sideeffect of the failed clock. Do you expect it to find the SATA ports if it won't go past the RAM?

EDIT: And like fuzzykins said, update your BIOS. Download it onto your computer and use the flash update option in the BIOS. Better yet, take your computer to a local computer tech and say "Get it working please" pay the $100 or so and get it done the easy way.

EDIT 2: While you're at the computer tech ask him to try a 44 multiplier. The 2600k can run that on air cooling no problems.

EDIT 3: going to bed, GO TO THE TECH.
    Yeah its more and more likely that I am going to the tech, though not sure who in my area is good, bestbuy seems meh XD

I cant be sure its the ram considering its still crashing even after I do the ram "Fix".
    Last edited by masterprtzl; 2011-04-26 at 05:54 PM.

Do you have anything plugged into the Marvell SATA ports? They're the ones closest to the top of the board. If you have optical drives plugged in, I read in the manual that they're for HDDs/SSDs only. Try moving them to the 3Gib/s ports. (The 3g ports degrade based on use, and I doubt anyone will use an optical drive enough to kill the controller.)

If that doesn't fix it, try moving everything off the Marvell controller and disable it in UEFI. If the BSOD is being caused by a driver and there are no updates, disabling the hardware may fix it.

Also, Newegg will advance RMA a motherboard to you if you want a B3 stepping, just have to give them credit card info as a contingency on you not returning the board. I got a board that got my CPU stable at a 200MHz higher overclock and fixed another crash issue I had too. It's worth it IMO.
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    Do you have anything plugged into the Marvell SATA ports? They're the ones closest to the top of the board. If you have optical drives plugged in, I read in the manual that they're for HDDs/SSDs only. Try moving them to the 3Gib/s ports. (The 3g ports degrade based on use, and I doubt anyone will use an optical drive enough to kill the controller.)

If that doesn't fix it, try moving everything off the Marvell controller and disable it in UEFI. If the BSOD is being caused by a driver and there are no updates, disabling the hardware may fix it.

Also, Newegg will advance RMA a motherboard to you if you want a B3 stepping, just have to give them credit card info as a contingency on you not returning the board. I got a board that got my CPU stable at a 200MHz higher overclock and fixed another crash issue I had too. It's worth it IMO.

Yea... I gotta see if I can find ALL of the original parts, that was something they had been specific about. They said to contact ASUS if you can't find them all. But this may be worth a shot, get an advanced RMA, pay someone to rebuild it (cbf doing it myself after this).

I would have to reformat im assuming at that point?

---------- Post added 2011-04-26 at 10:09 PM ----------

Anyways, thanks everyone for help. I got a computer tech in mind, sadly he wont be able to get to it for a good 3-4 days, gonna bring it in to him tomorrow and move on back to my old PC until then.