Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Actually you can screw up both a kid or a dog by beating it. Yes I do believe in Corporal Punishment but you can get much the same effect from a good threat of corporal punishment.
    Mage T13 is alright, I guess. It's a bit bland and doesn't really say Mage but there is nothing that looks really bad about it...

    Except that it as a clockwork, orange set.

  2. #22
    I was a little shit when I was a kid untill I got the shit beat out of me. I would break windows and steal things and get in fights..Well I still do the lattar, but that is beside the point. Point is, I'm always getting complimented on how nice and gentlemanlike I am now despite my appearance. I owe it all to my daddy belting my ass, and I mean that. As rebellious as I was and the fact I were very violent, there's no way I would've learned any of the lessons I did if I hadn't of been punished like I was. Teaching dominance at a young age is only the first part of teaching period. It's not to be cruel, it's to establish respect to build everything else upon. I might hate my old man for being an asshole, but I can't say he didn't teach me to not be an asshole in turn.

  3. #23
    Parents are getting too soft on their children. They waste so much money buying books on how to raise a child, family therapy etc. You'd be surprised how effective a good ass-beating can be. I remember when I was a kid a stole something from the supermarket and my mom found out. She dragged me out by the ear and waited till we were in the car and that's when she unleashed the beating. Now I know that stealing is bad, and I haven't stolen anything since.
    Last edited by Riken55; 2011-04-26 at 11:05 PM.

  4. #24
    although i can't recall experiencing it much ( i just don't think i did any bad shit). sometimes kids just need a quick smak to learn not to do something. i see so many kids lthat are about 12 or 13 and are just so disrespectful in everyway and constantly misbehave and they really need a slap.

  5. #25
    Dreadlord shockpally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vatican City
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yeah and if you need to make your child fear you in order to behave you've already dropped the ball as a parent.

    It removes the punishment from what they did and attaches it to the consequences instead. They don't steal because its wrong, they don't steal because otherwise they get hit. Its a shitty way to raise a kid morally, and its been shown to be a shitty way to raise a kid practically.
    Um.. Treating children like adults is your first mistake. All they need to understand is a basic set of rules. It gives them a reference point to the laws everyone has to live by and the consequences of breaking the law/rule.

    Indiscriminately slapping a kid is wrong. You let the kid know exactly why they are being punished and why it is wrong. You say what you mean and you do what you say not following through on a threat of punishment if they do X is more detrimental to them than the actual punishment. This applies to any sort of punishment not just spanking.

  6. #26
    I definitely want some total stranger from Bohonka University who majored in Education and minored in Physical Education beating my children because they attend a failing school and likely have a horrible teacher who bores them to tears.

    On second thought, I'll be the parent and decide my children's punishment.

  7. #27
    kids need discipline. That said, there is a difference from beating the shit out of your kid to spanking them for disciplinary reasons.

    Kids need love and sometimes that means tough love, it's called parenting. IMO, there are too many parents who want to be their kids friend than be their parent.

  8. #28
    Dreadlord ryoukthebloodelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Where am I ?!
    Posts
    762
    I was spanked as a child and i'm better for it, judging from the way my generation acts *i'm 18* they weren't spanked enough
    Ben Kenobi "This isn't the signature you are looking for."

  9. #29
    The Lightbringer Razorice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Over there --->
    Posts
    3,157
    In my eyes, a whoop if deserved wouldn't hurt anyone and the child would think twice before doing same deed twice

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by shockpally View Post
    Um.. Treating children like adults is your first mistake. All they need to understand is a basic set of rules. It gives them a reference point to the laws everyone has to live by and the consequences of breaking the law/rule.

    Indiscriminately slapping a kid is wrong. You let the kid know exactly why they are being punished and why it is wrong. You say what you mean and you do what you say not following through on a threat of punishment if they do X is more detrimental to them than the actual punishment. This applies to any sort of punishment not just spanking.
    Your argument doesn't disagree with his. His argument is that corporal punishment is wrong because it causes your child to fear you and the punishment instead of teaching them right from wrong. Your argument is that not following through with a threatened punishment is worse than actually punishing them. I tend to agree with both, at least somewhat. I think that punishment should be something a kid thinks about, not something a kid reacts about. If you threaten physical punishment, you set off a primal response instead of an intellectual one, and that is what I think is wrong about corporal punishment. For some people, it might eventually work, but I think the faster a kid thinks about why what he/she did was wrong instead of thinking about what you did to him/her, the better.

    Bergtau's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that somebody will mention Godwin's Law approaches 1.
    Hitler wasn't all bad, I mean, he DID kill Hitler.
    An accident is something that you did not mean to do at all. A mistake is something that you regret doing.

  11. #31
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,127
    I think Corporals have it tough enough, being the lowest NCO rank and all why punish them More?

    psst* Coporal, not Corporal.

    Ohh I am not sure than, I guess your talking Spare the rod spoil the Child Kind of Stuff. I think we live in a narcissistic generation because of the lack of Proper training of youth.

    People no longer have fear or respect.

  12. #32
    Beating your child is still legal in "under developed" countries, and studies show that in those countries people tend to be less creative, and actually about 10% less book smart, that is also coupled with religion, though.

    Beating your child is using the same tactic as dictators, say Sadam hussein. Do wrong and lose a hand, or do wrong and i will hit you. There is a difference i serevity, but in reality they are used for the same thing. Ruling over 1 or more people with fear. Fear does not = respect. It's just fear. It's a sad world where anyone would be scared to express themselves creatively because if you do, you get beat. If you have anything to say, you get beat. When you grow up getting beat because everytime you want to express yourself you get a punch for "being weird" you get anger management issues, or perhaps even worse.

    I find it disgusting that anyone can even stand behind hitting a child. When i was a child i got the shit beat out of me every day and some other psysical punishments. (1 min late home = 1 punch to the stomach) Did i learn to get home on time? Yes. Did i beat my dad half to death when he tried to do it when i was 15? Yes. Violence does not solve anything. and does not work as good parrenting. Yes i still believe in a "Spanking" if the child has done something extremely terrible, but using your hands instead of your mouth shows what kind of person you are, and quite frankly you should be locked up because you endanger everyone around you.

    Just to add some fun, here in Denmark a couple beat their 3 month old baby to death, because it kept crying, but you should beat the baby because it has to learn, right?

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yeah and if you need to make your child fear you in order to behave you've already dropped the ball as a parent.

    It removes the punishment from what they did and attaches it to the consequences instead. They don't steal because its wrong, they don't steal because otherwise they get hit. Its a shitty way to raise a kid morally, and its been shown to be a shitty way to raise a kid practically.
    I don't go on a crime spree not because it is immoral, I don't do it because I fear the cops would find me and beat me down.
    I live in a country with a government I see as a bunch of inept corrupted morons, I don't try to destroy it out of fear of the repercussions.
    I work because I fear not having the money to live my life comfortably

    90% of my actions in life are done not because I want to do them but instead done because I fear the repercussions if I don't

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    I don't go on a crime spree not because it is immoral, I don't do it because I fear the cops would find me and beat me down.
    I live in a country with a government I see as a bunch of inept corrupted morons, I don't try to destroy it out of fear of the repercussions.
    I work because I fear not having the money to live my life comfortably

    90% of my actions in life are done not because I want to do them but instead done because I fear the repercussions if I don't
    This just means you will do the wrong thing if given the opportunity. Did your fear of consequences come from you actually going on a crime spree/trying to destroy the government and suffering the consequences? Because that is what you should include if you want to make that comparison.

    Bergtau's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that somebody will mention Godwin's Law approaches 1.
    Hitler wasn't all bad, I mean, he DID kill Hitler.
    An accident is something that you did not mean to do at all. A mistake is something that you regret doing.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiszh View Post
    I find it disgusting that anyone can even stand behind hitting a child. When i was a child i got the shit beat out of me every day and some other psysical punishments. (1 min late home = 1 punch to the stomach) Did i learn to get home on time? Yes. Did i beat my dad half to death when he tried to do it when i was 15? Yes. Violence does not solve anything. and does not work as good parrenting. Yes i still believe in a "Spanking" if the child has done something extremely terrible, but using your hands instead of your mouth shows what kind of person you are, and quite frankly you should be locked up because you endanger everyone around you.

    Just to add some fun, here in Denmark a couple beat their 3 month old baby to death, because it kept crying, but you should beat the baby because it has to learn, right?
    You grew up with a abusive father who hit you frequently with little to no reason for doing so.

    I don't believe I ever received a beating without my parents first showing their dis-contempt of my actions verbally.
    If I cussed I got slapped in the mouth and ended up eating some soap because I knew what I did wrong (was a fitting punishment)

    When I knowingly did wrong I was verbally punished followed with a belt/paddle
    severity of the asswhooping was determined by the amount of wrong I had done "1-7 hits" on the rear or upper thighs and never left more than minor bruising.

    Of course doing something really stupid such as stealing always earned me a pretty severe asswhopping followed by several hours on "time out"
    with a early "lights out" I would also get grounded and while grounded I did house chores and dealt with my bedtime being a hour earlier.

    And to be honest out of all the punishments my parents employed asswhooping was the most effective as well as the punishment I preferred as the pain only lasted a few minutes and was less intrusive to my life.

    In short beating kids is only bad when
    #1 they don't know why they are getting beat
    #2 you get carried away "goal is to leave no bruises no broken bones and not draw blood"

    Either way to each his own but I am sticking with the method that has endured the test of time, I've seen your kids grow up as gutless panzies, cowards,thief and thugs while crime rises and test scores drop I blame you and your incompetence at parenting and I refuse to mimic your failed methods of parenting.

    ---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 09:07 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    Actually you can screw up both a kid or a dog by beating it. Yes I do believe in Corporal Punishment but you can get much the same effect from a good threat of corporal punishment.
    This is true however if I child has not held witness to Corporal Punishment they have no reason to fear it
    Fear is a deterrent

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    I think Corporals have it tough enough, being the lowest NCO rank and all why punish them More?

    psst* Coporal, not Corporal.

    Ohh I am not sure than, I guess your talking Spare the rod spoil the Child Kind of Stuff. I think we live in a narcissistic generation because of the lack of Proper training of youth.

    People no longer have fear or respect.
    Ahaha sorry! Spelling isn't my best forte.

  17. #37
    Brewmaster Disenchanted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southeast of Disorder
    Posts
    1,297
    I was raised by 2 parents who both believed in "spare the rod, spoil the child."

    Yes, I go back to the days of being told to go out back and cut my own switch (a branch that they would then swat your backside with mercilessly).

    I know the sting of a belt all to well.

    It didn't matter what the infraction was, the response was physical pain in one form or another. My mother was fond of beating me with shoes. My Dad used whatever was at hand, including his hands. Oh, my old man was a crafty one. He could pummel you all over your body and yet never leave a visible bruise, nor seriously injure you. He was also fond of the blindside wallop on the back of the head that would ring your bell. Oh, I never had a serious injury from it. And not many bruises... I think. But every day was like walking a mine field.

    I got straight As in school. I never (well, ALMOST never) drank underage. I was respectful to my elders. I didn't get in trouble at school. I didn't do drugs. I didn't bully anyone. I was a model student. I never broke curfew. I wasn't insolent ever. I kept my room immaculate. I earned a scholarship to college, and later served 2 tours in the USAF. I grew up to be a reasonably well adjusted man with a nice family, a nice house, a good job. They did a good job raising me, right?

    BULLSHIT.....

    It's amazing I'm not in prison or a loony bin. I lived in fear of my father my entire life. Not fear of misbehaving. Fear to even be in the same room with him in case I accidentally sneezed or something. Just the sound of his car pulling in would give me a panic attack. I couldn't look anyone in the eye. My mother was no help, and in fact was often just as bad... check that, worse. She likes to belittle every little hope, thought or dream you had too. My only goal in life was to get. the hell. away from them.

    Now, they raised me how they were raised. And now that I'm older, I've actually bonded to my Dad. But I still do not have, nor will I likely ever have a close relationship with him. I don't fear him anymore if only because I could wipe the floor with him now. I do have to say that he is a far gentler person now. But the damage is done. And my mother is possibly even more toxic now than she was when I was young. Heh, and she has the gall to wonder why my sister and I avoid her when we can.

    Corporal punishment didn't teach me to be good. It taught me to beat the shit out of anyone who displeased me. Oh, I didn't think that way. I often told myself I'd NEVER raise my kids the way my parents did me. Ever have a 5 year old willfully disobey you and scream they hate you? I didn't even think about it. The thought never even entered me head. It was an automatic response... WHACK! I'm sorry, that was not discipline. That was, well, take your pick: anger, rage, revenge, conditioned response. That was 13 years ago and I still hate myself for it. Oh, she was fine. No real harm done, at least physically. But it was NOT an appropriate action. And frankly, if my wife wasn't there to shock me back to reality, who's to say I wouldn't have hit her again.... harder? I have anger issues. I'm not a violent person by nature, but that is often an urge I have to suppress when I feel backed into a corner, or angry. I've had lots of help for that. And thankfully, that was the one and only time.

    If you can't make a kid seriously regret bad behavior, you just aren't using your imagination. Corporal punishment is just not an option. It's not. I don't want to hear "sometimes, that's the only way they learn. You can't reason with kids." True, you can't. Nor should you even try. You make them pay. You give them hard consequences. But intentionally inflicting mental or physical pain is not the answer... unless you want to make your kids have real issues as they age.

  18. #38
    Pandaren Monk Tokru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The end of the rainbow
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    This just means you will do the wrong thing if given the opportunity. Did your fear of consequences come from you actually going on a crime spree/trying to destroy the government and suffering the consequences? Because that is what you should include if you want to make that comparison.
    Fear of punishment is the only incentive to not do something that somebody else perceives as "wrong" that exists. The people who made the first laws didn't do it, because they thought that it would be a good idea out of the blue. They did it because they saw that the people needed some definite rules with set punishment if broken to live together in larger groups.

    That may have been in a much more violent time, but humanity hasn't changed a bit since then.

    To the underlined part:
    Everyone would do it (though the exact severeness of the violation of a law would greatly differ between different people). Yes, you too.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    Fear of punishment is the only incentive to not do something that somebody else perceives as "wrong" that exists. The people who made the first laws didn't do it, because they thought that it would be a good idea out of the blue. They did it because they saw that the people needed some definite rules with set punishment if broken to live together in larger groups.

    That may have been in a much more violent time, but humanity hasn't changed a bit since then.

    To the underlined part:
    Everyone would do it (though the exact severeness of the violation of a law would greatly differ between different people). Yes, you too.
    I have had the opportunity and I have declined it. Call me a liar if you will, but there I things that I will not do regardless of consequences because I could not reconcile the action to myself as a person. I'm sure most people are like this too.

    Also, you are comparing a method for raising children with a method for adult law. The two will never be the same thing. Though if you want to try to compare the two, I will just point out that corporal punishment is not practiced by law in the US.
    Last edited by Bergtau; 2011-04-27 at 12:36 PM.

    Bergtau's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that somebody will mention Godwin's Law approaches 1.
    Hitler wasn't all bad, I mean, he DID kill Hitler.
    An accident is something that you did not mean to do at all. A mistake is something that you regret doing.

  20. #40
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,268
    /salute

    Corporal Punishment!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •