Exclamation Atonment/Archangel specc

I have been discipline since I have lvled my priest but was primarily healing wise, didnt use the atonement/archangel specc so far. But as so many people thought it
    was great I decided to give it a try in a dungeon. Not try to go al the way just yet, just see how it works out in a heroic dungeon and then see if it is viable (for me at least) in a raid setting.

What a complete disaster it was :| I had constantly trouble keeping the health up of my 5! man group through smite and (yes I am using penance in between too). I constantly had
    to switch to healing spells to get the health up of my group. And ashamed to say this crap form of healing resulted in a few deaths or wipes no less....thus...am I doing something wrong
    or is this specc just not suitable for a 5 man heroic dungeon and just in a raid setting? I don't want to burden my raid group and bring it into a raid if I am doing something wrong here.

My priest ---> //eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/earthen-ring/solesius/simple

I am not a bubble spamming discipline priest so I still use healing spells (this gear/stat set up is from before I went atonement/archangel), thats why I like(d) to have a comfertable amount of haste.

Like to hear your opinion on how you heal through this specc (rotation perhaps) and your experience in either heroic and raid and if there is any difference.

Greetings,

Solesius
    Last edited by Solesius; 2011-04-26 at 09:27 PM.

Deleted
    You use attonement heals when dmg is low and you watch the timer (20 seconds), so the stacks don't drop. If you for some reason cannot refresh the stack, you just trigger the archangel and accept that it may only give you a 9% buff instead of 15% buff. Should you hit 5 stacks you have to evaluate the incomming dmg and trigger it if the dmg is not healable by more attonement healing.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2011-04-26 at 09:38 PM.

The only time I ever smite heal is on Halfus heroic when at least 4 dragons are down and then it's like BAM healing galore, otherwise I only smite heal when aoe dmg is low and I know the tank can take the damage for a while, also using a Rapture cooldown counter helps me so I can toss a shield and smite for a bit get my 6% mana, toss another shield, smite, get my mana back. It's a purely situational spec, you have to know when to use it and when not to use it.

Also note that I don't use a shadow spec so atonement helps me when I am doing dailies I don't kill as fast but I use less mana and I never have to stop to heal myself.. well rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Verth Aeyta View Post
    Also note that I don't use a shadow spec so atonement helps me when I am doing dailies I don't kill as fast but I use less mana and I never have to stop to heal myself.. well rarely.
    If as a Shadow Priest, you needed to stop to heal yourself, you were doing something wrong.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    I smite all the time; it isn't uncommon for me to have 1mil+ dmg on a boss.

I don't do heroics hardly at all but I did one the other day. I heal with actual healing spells when people need healing and smite when they don't (or it isn't as urgent). If you were trying to do 'most' of your healing with smite, you were doing it wrong =(
    I don't spam bubbles in heroics but I'm not afraid to use them either.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with it.

Atonement in 5-man heroics:
    If you're relying solely on Atonement to keep your 5-man alive, then you are doing it all wrong. Atonement is something you use when the group's hp is stable. It's okay for 1-2 people to be at half health and just let Atonement pick them up, if you know that they are in no danger of dying anytime soon. If you need to quickly stabilize someone, Penance, PW:S and GHeal are your go to spells. If your group is stupid and stands in fire, again Atonement won't be able to work here. With a few exceptions like SFK 1st and 4th boss, and Stonecore 3rd boss, I can actually Atonement spam entire boss fights. With that said, I cannot stress enough that Atonement/AA builds must, must, must still use our regular healing spells. Atonement would never beat conventional healing in terms of keeping the group alive, but what it offers is the extra dps added when you literally have nothing better to do. (Plus, I set my Smite macro to target of target, target the tank, and just smite away while turn around and watch some tv)

P.S. - Just did ZA heroic, and boy I am loving Holy Fire. It costs cheaper than Smite, casts faster than Smite, and hits harder than Smite.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    If as a Shadow Priest, you needed to stop to heal yourself, you were doing something wrong.
    It's more while questing VE doesn't seem to heal enough, especially in places like TB where the mobs hit like trucks :P I very well could have been doing something wrong but I just felt like my questing flow was more constant as a Disc priest then when I was Shadow.