Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Amazon pink river dolphins!

Save them! Dont hunt them!

there are only 35 left in the world! They are pink and have a hump instead of a dorsal fin. they are the smartest dolphin species ever which makes them the 2nd smartest species( humans 1st)! they have 40% more brain capacity than any person. they have an excellent sonar that they use to navigate through the murky waters. sadly people presiding near the Amazon are killing them only for their red eyes and sharp teeth as they believe they are mystical and then throwing out the carcass. Ps: they have really long snouts with plenty of sharp teeth
    Me is SMRT blonde!!!!!!!

Deleted
    I dont think anyone here actively hunts them. also, if there are only 35 left, they are already extinct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there's still the illusive giant dolphin...

lol "elusive" sorry had to do it :P . but anyway how are red eyes and some teeth mystical?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Just one thing. If they've got 40% more brain capacity than any person, why do you list them as the 2nd smartest species? To put this in perspective, a single human brain cell can store the name of every star in a million galaxies.
    ? Wish mine flipping could.

Deleted
    Oh sorry I'll stop hunting them

I read somewhere that if there's less than 1000 of any species in the world, they will die due to the mass amount of inbreeding their condition will force them into. Sad, eh?

But what of the tuna? It's not JUST tuna in the can!
    BO0ooOOooOOo0oooOO0OOooOO0ooo0OOOo0oOO0NEST0RM!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...uttnikk/simple
    ^Deepz served here^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Just one thing. If they've got 40% more brain capacity than any person, why do you list them as the 2nd smartest species? To put this in perspective, a single human brain cell can store the name of every star in a million galaxies.
    Because brain size and intelligence are not directly related. Thats why we have computers and elephants don't. The structure and function of the brain is what determines intelligence. These dolphins have a larger brain than us in relative to body size true, but much like other echolocating cetaeceans, the VAST majority of all that brain is dedicated to processing and interpreting sound.

While any kind of conservation is, at the point of 35 specimens, extremely unlikely, we have brought other species back from dire numbers. California Condors come to mind.
    Last edited by Urti; 2011-04-27 at 12:06 AM.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

15+ Year Old Account
    Too bad, I live in a remote part of the Amazon and pink river dolphin is all we got here. They're our only source of food, our only source of anything really. I'm wearing a dolphin skin vest and dolphin skin moccasins. My house is a tent made of dolphins. Without them our whole society would crumble. Do you want that? Huh!?

Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    I dont think anyone here actively hunts them. also, if there are only 35 left, they are already extinct.
    Doesn't quite work that way, Tim.

These fuckers keep eating this near-extinct plankton type... it's all their fault

Quote Originally Posted by Floisee View Post

there are only 35 left in the world! They are pink and have a hump instead of a dorsal fin. they are the smartest dolphin species ever which makes them the 2nd smartest species( humans 1st)! they have 40% more brain capacity than any person. they have an excellent sonar that they use to navigate through the murky waters. sadly people presiding near the Amazon are killing them only for their red eyes and sharp teeth as they believe they are mystical and then throwing out the carcass. Ps: they have really long snouts with plenty of sharp teeth
    Hopefully those people presiding near the Amazon all have internet connections they use to play WoW, and check the MMO forums. With any luck they will read this, and your message will not be completely wasted in vain.

I doubt it though....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody-Bob View Post
    Doesn't quite work that way, Tim.
    think 35 dolphins can repopulate the species? Inbreeding will be just as deadly as a hunting spear.

think 35 dolphins can repopulate the species? Inbreeding will be just as deadly as a hunting spear.
    Incredibly enough, species have come back from even smaller numbers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Incredibly enough, species have come back from even smaller numbers.
    Then they would all need to be captured and bred in a controlled environment. At the moment these dolphins are still being actively hunted with no measures to stop it. I am afraid their time is up.

Edit: After doing some research it turns out the OP is wrong. There are loads of examples in captivity and this will survive. There are a lot more than 35 dolphins left in the wild, and even more in captivity. currently listed as vulnerable, not near extinct.
    Last edited by mmoc11d1e9aab8; 2011-04-27 at 09:34 AM.

Edit: After doing some research it turns out the OP is wrong. There are loads of examples in captivity and this will survive. There are a lot more than 35 dolphins left in the wild, and even more in captivity. currently listed as vulnerable, not near extinct.
    Yup, the official current state of this species seems to be :

(sorry, couldn't find the english version of this graphic, here are the details in english:
    )
    Which is not secure, but not close to extinction either.

Inbreeding will be just as deadly as a hunting spear.
    On a side note, inbreeding isn't as bad in a wild environment as it is in our societies, nature "cleans" deficient elements (relatively to the context) systematically ; we don't (for obvious reasons). It may become a problem, but not necessarily, deficiencies can even be completely set apart if things turn out good.
    Last edited by Eled.; 2011-04-27 at 10:01 AM.

Deleted
    Classic examples of inbreeding still populating a species:

Adam and Eve (meaning Cain and Eve... Son had to have kids with his mom to continue the species...)
    Noah, his wife, his sons, and their wives were the only ones left alive after the flood

Yeah I think religion is bullshit, but don't be like dat bro.

Saving these dolphins, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Floisee View Post
    But I love fresh blubber with my coffee every morning!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    The people killing pink dolphin probably dont read the read the internet, even worse with mmo-champ.
    Quote Originally Posted by quran View Post
    Noah, his wife, his sons, and their wives were the only ones left alive after the flood
    lol.. good luck getting all species of the world on a boat and getting them safe out of a flood without them going sick and reproducing after that.

I think its bs too..