Deleted
    This thread, the only one where a negative remark towards religion doesn't turn into a flame war, and instead turns into a discussion about ponies beliefs.
    Awesome!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesparks View Post
    Oh, I'm so frustrated I could just kick something!
    Dash avatar, Octavia sig, Fluttershy-sentence?
    You're confusing me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not exclusively in God, just in gods (i.e. Greek/Roman gods). I assumed she would mostly because of Feeling Pinkie Keen; I'm not quite sure how to interpret all of her fourth-wall shenanigans, at least not with regard to belief in gods.
    Then yea, I'll defiantly have to say Twilight Sparkle, she's into those stories of the past like in the first episode, those can sorta/kinda be used to resemble past gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    This thread, the only one where a negative remark towards religion doesn't turn into a flame war, and instead turns into a discussion about ponies beliefs.
    Awesome!
    Every time someone with a Rainbow dash avatar (especially yours) says "awesome!", I read it in her voice from the part you avatar comes from

Deleted
    As much as I hate derailing what little train of thought we had going, I need to ask you guys a question. Of the mane six plus Spike, which ponies are the most likely to believe in gods?
    I feel that healthy real-life skepticism bleeds too heavily into the perception of fictional worlds. Atheism isn't opposed to the idea of a god, but unwilling to accept one without evidence. The inclusion of magic as a hard science tends to blur the concept of faith.

Regarding your question, Twilight would be the most inclined to attribute an extensively-studied-yet-still-incompatible event to the presence of an undiscovered force of nature.
    Last edited by mmoc09f76fb0d8; 2011-05-20 at 09:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Then yea, I'll defiantly have to say Twilight Sparkle, she's into those stories of the past like in the first episode, those can sorta/kinda be used to resemble past gods.
    The problems I have with that is that the stories in episode 1 are based on Celestia and Luna, the former of which Twilight has met and is a student to, so they're not really gods in the sense that she can interact with either of them. That, and in Feeling Pinkie Keen, she's the sole pony that doesn't believe in the Pinkie sense due to it having no base in evidence or fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seelenjaeger View Post
    Dash avatar, Octavia sig, Fluttershy-sentence?
    You're confusing me.
    Nopony said I had to be a fan of only one pony, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhazrun View Post
    I feel that healthy real-life skepticism bleeds too heavily into the perception of fictional worlds. Atheism isn't opposed to the idea of a god, but unwilling to accept one without evidence. The inclusion of magic as a hard science tends to blur the concept of faith.
    I'm definitely not the most well-read pony when it comes to religion, but I thought that agnostics don't think there is a god but don't deny the possibility, while atheists don't believe in one or the possibility of one. Am I wrong? Granted, magic doesn't really help interpretation much, but for this purpose I'm considering it irrelevant.

Deleted
    I think that Fluttershy would probably believe in a God/gods. She has a strong connection with nature and probably wouldn't be too concerned with the ideological implications of there being a god.

Regarding Twilight, yes there is a contrast between her attitude in the first episodes and her attitude later. Although since Celestia actually exists, you could argue that there is good evidence that her counterpart Nightmare Moon/Luna would also exist. If there was good evidence for the existence of a god, Twilight would probably believe it, but she probably wouldn't believe out of faith alone.
    Last edited by mmoc581146db80; 2011-05-20 at 10:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    I think that Fluttershy would probably believe in a God/gods. She has a strong connection with nature and probably wouldn't be too concerned with the ideological implications of there being a god.
    Fluttershy approves of this reasoning.

Deleted
    So now we came to a conclusion that Fluttershy is pagan.

As much as I hate derailing what little train of thought we had going, I need to ask you guys a question. Of the mane six plus Spike, which ponies are the most likely to believe in gods? Right now, my list only has Pinkie Pie, and I need at least one more for this to not seem like Pinkie's gone off the rail again, preferably not Applejack for undisclosed reasons.
    Pinkie Pie; probably not religious but certainly she might be spiritual in a different world. She's shown to believe in superstitions, and somewhat believes in fate (I think it was her that said Rainbow Dash's rainboom was fate that brought them all together). I also see Fluttershy as the kind of pony to turn towards paganism.

edit: and for the purpose of interpretation, I treat magic in Equestria like Dungeons and Dragons treats it: it's there, it came from somewhere, so there's probably practicing ponies that could/do believe in a higher power. The only ponies I don't see believing in religions or at least are spiritual are Rainbow Dash and Applejack.
    Last edited by Zarasthura; 2011-05-20 at 10:09 PM.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Well how long has Celestia been around? If she's been around since the dawn of time, then she and Luna could in fact be goddesses. If not, Twilight could always just ask Celestia where she came from.

Hi guys, I'm the new pony in town.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    So now we came to a conclusion that Fluttershy is pagan.
    Well, I guess she could be. Pagans have gods

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
    Welcome!

This one's been linked by him, actually.
    That Rainbow Dash game I played for hours when I first saw it on ED.
    Highscore: 64292
    Go 1. 14830
    Go 2. 10888
    Go 3. 38574(was going so fast my comp was lagging and I crashed due to a bug )
    Gets faster and faster and has rainbows and explosions. The game is perfect for Rainbow Dash.
    Last edited by A1CZERO; 2011-05-20 at 10:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A1CZERO View Post
    Go 1. 14830
    Go 2. 10888

The game is perfect for Rainbow Dash. Gets faster and faster has rainbows and explosions.

64292?!
    BRB, gotta break a highscore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Amg it's you, hi friend, welcome to the herd! /brohoof.

Quote Originally Posted by Decraven View Post
    Well how long has Celestia been around? If she's been around since the dawn of time, then she and Luna could in fact be goddesses. If not, Twilight could always just ask Celestia where she came from.
    Season 2 might give us some answers towards that.

Well, I guess she could be. Pagans have gods

Welcome!
    honestly, applejack seems like the one who'd believe in God the most :P
    and hi

---------- Post added 2011-05-20 at 11:12 PM ----------

Oh my pony! it's my best friend FLUTTERSHY <333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

WELCOME TO THE HERD.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Deleted
    In a world of ubiquitous magic, one would need to first need a reason believe that a particular phenomenon isn't just a natural part of magic to seed suspicions of something otherworldly.

When you're young and uneducated, you don't recognize or distinguish a minor miracle from a sleigh-of-hoof "magic" trick. Coming across an object genuinely floating in mid-air would trigger a reaction of "Wow, this is cool. I can see why they keep showing these things on TV." rather that making you doubt the boundaries of scientific observations.

Only Twilight, understanding that magic simply couldn't have caused the observed occurrence, would then actually raise questions.

I'm definitely not the most well-read pony when it comes to religion, but I thought that agnostics don't think there is a god but don't deny the possibility, while atheists don't believe in one or the possibility of one. Am I wrong?
    Most atheists don't consider it an ideology, but a mere function of common logic carrying no dogma. Disregarding reproducible evidence pointing only to the existence of a deity would actually be very illogical and unscientific indeed.
    Last edited by mmoc09f76fb0d8; 2011-05-20 at 10:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A1CZERO View Post
    Go 1. 14830
    Go 2. 10888
    Gets faster and faster and has rainbows and explosions. The game is perfect for Rainbow Dash.
    No wonder I was doing so badly at this game, I didn't know you could dash through those star things.