Spirit Link Totem Viability?

I havent had the chance to test the new resto totem out yet in arenas. Has anyone tested this yet? Is the hp redistribution worth it? Or is it simply a dmg redux cd? Ty in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd imagine since it is a totem, it can be dropped while silenced. I'd also imagine if your partner(s) being focused are in the area of effect, it's a free heal while silenced.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

Deleted
    I don't really see how it works (that's probs just me); does it reduce the highest hp to get everyone to the average raid's health, or simply heal the lowest up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconblade View Post
    I don't really see how it works (that's probs just me); does it reduce the highest hp to get everyone to the average raid's health, or simply heal the lowest up?
    Think of it like a scale: it will redistribute health. Meaning, yes it will reduce someone's health in order to average it out. It pulses every second, however, so if target(s) are being healed, it's an overall healing distribution as well.

If you have two players, one at 50% and one at 100% it will put them both at 75% the first tick that the totem puts out. The only requirement is that both of them be within range of the totem, which puts out a pretty obvious aoe area effect. I'd say it's debatable for arenas because of the range requirement, but since it's only 1 talent point it's probably worth it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehfred View Post
    Think of it like a scale: it will redistribute health. Meaning, yes it will reduce someone's health in order to average it out. It pulses every second, however, so if target(s) are being healed, it's an overall healing distribution as well.
    So basically reduces dmg by 10%, then splits it between the raid?

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 05:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    If you have two players, one at 50% and one at 100% it will put them both at 75% the first tick that the totem puts out. The only requirement is that both of them be within range of the totem, which puts out a pretty obvious aoe area effect. I'd say it's debatable for arenas because of the range requirement, but since it's only 1 talent point it's probably worth it.
    I can imagine the range giving it a restriction for PvP, whereas for PvE it's nice (Chimaeron etc)

Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post

This is only true if the 50% target and the 100% target have the same health.

Take the sum of the current health of all members effected by the totem, A. Then take the sum of the maximum health of the members effected by the totem, this is B.

A divided by B gives you a %. All players will then be set to this % of health, every tick.

So 3 members:

Tank: 70k/180k
    DpS 50k/130k
    DPS: 100k/130k

total: 220k / 440k = 50%

All players are then set to 50% health
    Tank: 90k/180k
    DPS: 65k/130k
    DPS 65k/130k

The biggest benefit to the totem, aside from 10% damage reduction, is it goes a long way to eliminating overhealing while the totem is up.

Just be careful about killing people with it. For example in PvE I imagine if the tank is in range of the totem on chim heroic during feud phase its probably going to get him killed.
    Last edited by whatthefudge; 2011-04-27 at 05:33 AM.

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 05:25 AM ----------

I can imagine the range giving it a restriction for PvP, whereas for PvE it's nice (Chimaeron etc)
    Yea for PvE it's amazing so far for what my guild has used it on. That being mainly Chimaeron and Nef.

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 01:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    This is only true if the 50% target and the 100% target have the same health.
    Same overall health yes. I was trying to simplify it as best as I could though. If one player has 50k hp and one has 100k hp it will put them both at 75k hp. That may be more clear for people, I dunno.

10+ Year Old Account
    Essentially, yes. I'd imagine in PvP, its use would be to quickly pull someone at low health up then immediately recalled to cancel the pulse. In PvE, it's pretty much a tank cooldown (think of creating a splash effect, such at the meteors in Blackrock Caverns, AQ40, etc., that distributes the damage). Otherwise, it has uses for fights like Chimaeron with healer comps that have low AoE.

It can be dangerous, however, if used improperly. This is the PvP forum, so I won't get into too much detail and derail the topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    From a PvP perspective, it was mediocre in AB at blacksmith.
    From a PvE perspective it was amazing in H ZG.

seldom tested however on my part
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

Other uses:

Play with a DK:

Drop the Totem when you are silence/before you are stunned, it brings you close to the same health, and have the DK heal himself, it will heal you as well.

Deleted
    The damage of the totem also breaks CC effects like sheep and blind.

After you drop totem it will pulse and level everyone out each pulse. The % of HP is all that matters. It will always take from the higher percent and give to the lower. Think of it kinda like beacon was, just drop rain and healing spring then slt and spam chain heal. You will all be at or close to full.