Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Blizzard hosted Vanilla, TBC, WotLK servers

This has been an idea nibbling at the back of my mind for quite some time. I have always cherished the thought of experiencing all of the older content, most of which I did not have the opportunity to play when it was current. I used to trawl through top private server lists searching for at least ONE viable server just to experience the PvE and PvP of the times.
    I feel that Blizzard has nothing to lose by simply implementing old patches for new clients to launch Vanilla, BC, and WotLK servers, and that it would be a MASSIVE popularity boost for WoW in general. I mean, after all, all we see nowadays is complaining and whining about how they miss older WoW eras, how Blizzard is ruining the game, and the like.
    Thoughts?
    Ideas?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are only going to get crap thrown at you. I'd just get rid of the whole post

Deleted
    A waste of money, time and effort.
    Yon olden days is gone, and it won't come back. Ever. Just get with the times and stop the really bad nostalgia trip.

People whining about it are a vocal minority of self-absorbed, ignorant people with the worst sense of entitlement this game suffers from it's users.

I want to be shocked and upset about how you can even suggest this idea. Again. But I should stop being surprised that there'll always be players that won't ever bloody get it.

Deleted
    Blizzard have already announced on several occasions, that they aren't going to do it.

It defeats the point of updating!

If you done what to play the game how it is today, go play something else! Simple!

Not this again... Look, this idea is nothing new (you probably realize this already), and Blizzard has already put their foot down. I can guarantee nostalgia is lying to you. That's its job.

Blizz has stated repeatedly they won't do this. Not like that has ever stopped them from totally going back on their word ("we will never let you make characters of both factions on the same PvP server") but at least you know the official stance.

There are plenty of private servers that are locked to a specific expansion or patch. Look for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahippo View Post
    We are gunna use some dust brown to paint some happy little tornados here, and one more here. Then we are going to use some white to paint happy little wind blasts here. Just dab the brush along the base of al akir, and there you have it. THE GAYEST FIGHT EVER

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntadroodadin View Post
    I mean, after all, all we see nowadays is complaining and whining about how they miss older WoW eras, how Blizzard is ruining the game, and the like.
    Very few of those people actually want it back though, even if they say they do. The way players look at games now has changed, if it went back to Vanilla, once people hit 60 they'll start to get bored of spending ages on Trade to get a group. If it ships with everything that Vanilla had (eg Battlegrounds) then people wouldn't have the whole Southshore vs Tarren Mill battle that everyone seems to so desperately want back. With all the Raids everyone will already know the fights and downing the boss won't feel as much like progression, and more like gearing up an alt through Raids. There's more reasons I could go onto list but I'm sure that, by now, you've got the idea; it won't happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntadroodadin View Post
    This has been an idea nibbling at the back of my mind for quite some time.
    Omg, why has no one else ever though of this?!!?!

You should patent it before someone takes it from you!

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better for them to open ONE server of each, just to let people see how bad it was compared to the actual version

I also get that kind of nostalgic feeling sometimes, though in another context..

What if I could go back to be with that girl from High School... but then I remember.. She's a bitch.. face it .. WoW is the same

I don't mean to offend, but this topic is raised roughly every 2 days. Blizzard has stated officially that they will not do this, and when I read they gave some very excellent reasons why not. Alas, I don't remember what they were - but trust me, they were awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Deleted
    All I have to say to the whiners that whine about the "old days" is stfu and move on, we all have.

10+ Year Old Account
    The concept of making old-type servers it's so much idiotic that if you had an IQ above 10 you would be able to right down over 100 reasons that why this would be a complete disaster for Blizzard and why noone would play them for more than 1 day.

If I could just stop time... During a warm sunny day when I'm on the beach drinking a staropramen... Life would be perfect!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrunch View Post
    Blizzard have already announced on several occasions, that they aren't going to do it.

It defeats the point of updating!

If you done what to play the game how it is today, go play something else! Simple!
    didn't they say the same thing about race changes and faction changes a while ago?
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

Deleted
    you...are...not..prepared..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baygon View Post
    didn't they say the same thing about race changes and faction changes a while ago?
    No.........

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    No.........
    lemme try and see if i can find a quote with blizzard saying it..
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

Quote Originally Posted by Baygon View Post
    Race and Faction Changes are not utterly pointless wastes of time. Going to the bother of setting up Vanilla servers when they would just need to close them down after a month because so few people play on them they don't work as a server sounds pretty useless to me.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

They have changed their mind on things that were set in stone before (basically all of the paid services, keeping chars from both factions on PvP realms, PvE>PvP transfers etc etc). Paid class change is something that might happen eventually now as well, as they have loosened up in the way they deny the possibility of such a service. Paid class change is a high demand service and there is dinero to be made, which in the end probably means that activision is gonna shove their dollar dick up the ass of poor blizzard and force them to launch such a service. However I do think this particular request as close to a dead end as you can get, they have said the same thing since TBC about this, no nostalgia realms. I think you will have to look at private servers for this kind of service. They have changed their mind before though (see above) so it isn't impossible, only highly unlikely. Remember, activision runs the show now and if they think that there is money to be made with nostalgia realms I'm sure they will eventually roll over Blizzard and force them to launch vanilla and BC realms.
    Last edited by Bender; 2011-04-27 at 09:54 AM.