Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Post Rift vanity and leisure compared to WoW?

Hello , i would like to ask about something usually un-discussed in most WoW vs Rift debates , off-raid , instance and pvp activities.I am currently thinking about buying rift and play it alongside with WoW but i wanted to know if anyone who played/plays rift can tell me about the diffrence between the two in the subject:

1.Does rift have any other cool / vanity items aside from pets like WoW has tabards , shirts , transofrmation items , unique food and drink etc.. ( I've only found out you can have and not sure if read books , and that the artifacts are only useful by turning them in to a vendor for normal gear / consumable )
    2. What about activities like the Kalu'ak fishing derby , the argent tournament ones , holiday events etc
    3. Which game's achievment and achievment awards are more challenging , interesting?
    4. Is the faction system of rift as developed as wow's , like faction mounts , recipes , items , attachments etc
    5. Are there any proffesion-specific quests and rewards in rift?

I think some people wil think those things are un-important and irrelavant compared to the main pve/pvp feautres but i think this is what makes the main role-playing part in an mmorpg.
    PS:I checked the rift.zam.com database about these but details are blurry and missing and im not sure if it is complete , also the "rift general discussions" thread is un-fit for such a large aspect which i havent seen mentioned there.

Thanks for any replies , Auror.

Deleted
    Only thing I knew from beta was you get titles alot easier than WoW...hope this helps, even if it is a litle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auror View Post
    Hello , i would like to ask about something usually un-discussed in most WoW vs Rift debates , off-raid , instance and pvp activities.I am currently thinking about buying rift and play it alongside with WoW but i wanted to know if anyone who played/plays rift can tell me about the diffrence between the two in the subject:

1.Does rift have any other cool / vanity items aside from pets like WoW has tabards , shirts , transofrmation items , unique food and drink etc.. ( I've only found out you can have and not sure if read books , and that the artifacts are only useful by turning them in to a vendor for normal gear / consumable )
    2. What about activities like the Kalu'ak fishing derby , the argent tournament ones , holiday events etc
    3. Which game's achievment and achievment awards are more challenging , interesting?
    4. Is the faction system of rift as developed as wow's , like faction mounts , recipes , items , attachments etc

I think some people wil think those things are un-important and irrelavant compared to the main pve/pvp feautres but i think this is what makes the main role-playing part in an mmorpg.
    PS:I checked the rift.zam.com database about these but details are blurry and missing and im not sure if it is complete , also the "rift general discussions" thread is un-fit for such a large aspect which i havent seen mentioned there.

Thanks for any replies , Auror.
    1: It's pretty much the same although there is no tabards/shirts. There is items that transform you, vanity pets, food and drink, vanity items from artifact collecting.

2: There is plenty of dailies to do like in WoW, there is world events like WoW's, one has just finished which was to open the new raid instance kind of like the AQ event. There is puzzles to find in each area which reward you with platinum/gold + an item, also loot piles to find in each area giving platinum/gold + an item.

3: They are both equal in terms of difficulty for achievements, there is some hard ones and some easy vanity ones etc just like WoW. There are some interesting ones like the puzzles.

4: Each faction has access to it's own mount style, Guardians have horned lion type mounts, whereas Defiant have robotic horses. There is faction items though each faction have a version they do the same thing.

5: There are profession quests but the only ones I encounter where to unlock the rest of my souls, kind of like unlocking the stances for a warrior in WoW when they required quests.

Thats it in a nutshell really.

10+ Year Old Account
    No tabards but an appearance tab and clothing coming in for it, plenty of pets. You also can occupy yourself with artifact hunting, each zone also got a puzzle. Several factions, daily crafting missions amongst others, crafting raid rifts incoming aswel. Know of atleast one mount linked to notoriety, several transformation items, got an imp, squirel, bat etc from rift rewards.

Achievements, as mentioned before the puzzels in each zone unless you read up on them and even then. Plenty of achievements in general didn't occupy myself enough to know what gives what as rewards.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Only thing I knew from beta was you get titles alot easier than WoW...hope this helps, even if it is a litle.
    Thanks , i think the speed is less important as the content though if you get it faster i think its for the wrost for rift , because what a title worths if everyone can get it

there are quite a few vanity items in RIFT, the main way of collecting these is sort of like archaeology, in that you find artifacts strewn about the world, and when you complete a set of artifacts you can turn them in to an NPC for a special currency, which is then used to purchase goofy looking vanity armor, unique companion pets, mounts, dance enhancers etc.
    Not exactly sure, I haven't played RIFT during a holiday to know about those, as far as dailies go I know there are quite a few, unsure about fishing derby types though.
    Its basically the same difficulty/reward ratio, though the average dungeon completion achievement is more difficult to get because an average leveling dungeon in RIFT from what I've noticed, is tuned to be as hard, or harder than a Heroic 5-man in WoW
    As far as I have noticed, no. there are no faction specific anything, and you can even talk to the other faction races (no separate language)
    Each profession has dailies from the moment you pick them up, dailies will give you materials to help level among other things, and just like WoW there are very nice high end crafted items.

hope this helped

sounds like a bit less than vanilla WoW but maybe it will be better with further patches and expansions. thanks for all the help thus far and in advance for all futher comments . i think this discussion should be kept alive and feel free to make your own remarks and thoughts , it might help many people seeking more information about this subject which i havent seen mentioned almost anywhere in the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm there are faction vendors in each zone that sell recipes, items and what not, surprised you would say there are none.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Hmm there are faction vendors in each zone that sell recipes, items and what not, surprised you would say there are none.
    are they faction specific though? As far as I could tell they weren't, like in WoW it is clear that faction specific items are only usable by the races of the faction.

morgn is interpreting "faction" as guardian and defiant and not notoriety. there's plenty reputations, three main ones end game. you get 5-6 dailies per and one has a repeatable. then each elemental type (earth, air, fire, death, life, water) have reputations associated with them.

there's plenty faction specific mounts. there was a nifty exploit to buy opposite faction mounts for defiant -> guardian at least, don't know if there was one the other way around. that got taken out of the game but they allowed people with the mounts to keep them. several reputations have mounts associated with them, but most just give crafting recipes, stat food, a blue, an epic, and an enchant for an armor slot that normally doesn't have a good enchant. kinda like head/shoulder enchants in wow.

towards the end the reputations are neutral so the rewards aren't faction specific.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgntreeman View Post
    are they faction specific though? As far as I could tell they weren't, like in WoW it is clear that faction specific items are only usable by the races of the faction.
    There are a few that are guardian and defiant only i believe and some for both in joined areas higher up.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by taco avenger View Post
    morgn is interpreting "faction" as guardian and defiant and not notoriety. there's plenty reputations, three main ones end game. you get 5-6 dailies per and one has a repeatable. then each elemental type (earth, air, fire, death, life, water) have reputations associated with them.

there's plenty faction specific mounts. there was a nifty exploit to buy opposite faction mounts for defiant -> guardian at least, don't know if there was one the other way around. that got taken out of the game but they allowed people with the mounts to keep them. several reputations have mounts associated with them, but most just give crafting recipes, stat food, a blue, an epic, and an enchant for an armor slot that normally doesn't have a good enchant. kinda like head/shoulder enchants in wow.

towards the end the reputations are neutral so the rewards aren't faction specific.
    Yeah thats what i meant , the reputations/notoriety. im used to say factions from WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as achievements go, there is a ton more to do in each zone. Gathering artifacts, finding each puzzle and cairn, finding each jump spot, and many random others throughout. For example, if you find yourself questing in a fortress, you may earn an achievement for exploring each nook and cranny of the area.

Professions are pretty dull. You get a daily that you do, and when you turn it in you get tokens that you can spend on other patterns. At 50 your reward may include a special token, and these can be used to buy your epic patterns.

No holiday events to my knowledge. I guess the in-game events would just be the normal invasions.

Not many vanity items. The ones that are there are cool. Most that I've seen come from turning in artifact sets. You don't buy normal gear with them. Pets and transformation items mostly.

Artifact gathering is the mini-game, you turn in collections for tokens that can be used to buy vanity items. Vanity items include things like shape-shift into other forms -- many of which can still be used in combat. Mini pets galore (squirrels are popular).

No tabards. An appearance tab is coming. Armor dyes are available.

Tons of achievements, and not just 'kill x' and 'complete x # of quests' and 'kill x # of dungeon/raid bosses'. there's exploration achievements, puzzles, ... the game encourages you to do things like wall jumping and exploring obscure places -- it feels like a classic RPG vs a themepark in that respect.

Lots of mounts in the game, including faction mounts.

The only vanity/appearance thing about Rift, is that it takes a more serious and realistic approach to things. Its not a visual explosion like WoW with gonzo special effects and GWAR armor. But I like the game because its more restrained and subtle, feels more like a real world.

You just missed the world event, with alot of one-time vanity items available. There will be more.

PS Occasionally I loot consumables that can turn me into a minipet too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taco avenger View Post
    they allowed people with the mounts to keep them..
    Nope, all the sneaky Defiants who stealthed into Sanctum and bought the epic mount had it taken away and the money refunded

Just quickly ran around to take a few screenies of the Faction mounts you can buy once you reach Glorified (Exalted) with them, bear in mind they seem to show the "normal" versions, the Epic 110% mounts come armour plated, like the horse i'm on in last pic

I also picked up a few of the vanity pets you can buy from the Factions, so if you'd like to see the pet Drake, a Yeti, a weird slime worm thing and a few more, just shout

Yes there are two different faction mounts. Order of Mathos gives the gorilla looking mounts and I think the dragon slayers gives the armored deer looking one. Each faction has their own recipes at a certain reputation level. Some even have vanity pets.

For either 40 or 50 marks (the horseshoe thingies you get for turning in collection quests) you get an illusion trinket and for 100 you get the 110% turtle mount.

The namjok mounts look pretty neat. Also i still understand from the comments that vanity items is mostly focused on pets . Would be nice if they actually have size changing / speed changing things , public picnic and " theatre items" that you can place on the ground for various actions and remote mail / bank acsess , toys of various kinds like in the dalaran toy shop.

Maybe im trying to find a game too smiliar to WoW xD , But thats what i see trion is trying to do with the improvment of dynamic events , better class system etc..

Btw , are all of the books in the game readable? couldnt find out in the database.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of books to read, and unlike WoW, instead of reading them where they are, you "learn" them into a special section of your character, so you can go back and read at your leisure.

10+ Year Old Account
    are all of the books in the game readable?
    Yes, like the ones you can come across in WoW..every book, notice is fully readable...you can also pick up a lot of books to add to your collection and read them at your leisure...like so

Nice , its probably worth buying to give it a try for some time. even though there's still the matter of upgrading my computer for a lot more money , heard the recommended settings ( which im up to ) are only enough for a playable fps ( frame rates per second ) in medium settings :P ( but nvm since its off from my main topic )
    Last edited by Auror; 2011-04-27 at 08:12 PM.