Poll: What would you say about Portal 2?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy View Post
    WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS, THROW AWAY THOSE LEMONS!!!!11
    GIT MAAAAAAAAAD

Is all I have to say
    When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! "I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?" Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who'se going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
    Last edited by Biggiej; 2011-04-28 at 02:39 AM.

Deleted
    I loved it the only thing i would have changed was to make it last longer coop aswell :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Great game overall, very enjoyable, i loved the whole atmosphere of the aperture world, very half life, great characters, with some very good humor, and that ending was very very cool.

The only downside was the difficulty of the puzzles, not flexing any epeens here, but in my opinion far too easy also almost no skill involved in any of the puzzles maybe because they had to have consoles controllers in mind. Hope Valve release some challenging rooms, now that the game is released and caters a wide audience.

i thought it was challenging, some of the puzzles were kind of simple, but i liked it this way. it makes you think and bust a mental sweat sometimes too :P. one puzzle i remember in particular in co-op, a room with the potential to create 3 light bridges, and you have to get to 2 different angled platforms to shoot out if into a particle dissolver wall, and create like 3 or 4 sets of bridge combos in order to get both players up to the top. it took me and my friend a good half hour or so to figure it out.

Deleted
    Great game but a bit over-priced in my opinion.

Maybe it's just odd after Portal 1 being a budget game.

Never played Portal 1, about to get Portal 2?

is it worth it? is there tip's I should know about the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Inbred View Post
    Never played Portal 1, about to get Portal 2?

is it worth it? is there tip's I should know about the game?
    I really think you should play the first portal.... helps you understand the game itself more AND the background story to it. after reading this i decided to download portal and play it again... ahhh. was funn. lol
    I really loved Portal 2..... story was amazing. and the puzzles may not have been as hard but were still so fun. i was more interested in the story tbh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentsnipe1212 View Post
    i thought it was challenging, some of the puzzles were kind of simple, but i liked it this way. it makes you think and bust a mental sweat sometimes too :P. one puzzle i remember in particular in co-op, a room with the potential to create 3 light bridges, and you have to get to 2 different angled platforms to shoot out if into a particle dissolver wall, and create like 3 or 4 sets of bridge combos in order to get both players up to the top. it took me and my friend a good half hour or so to figure it out.
    That was the only puzzle me and my friend found really hard to, but we wer just stupid as we sat looking for 15 mins while we already had the good portal setup, we needed to jump insted of think so much.

Also if you preorderd a 2pack you payed 80 euro for 2 games, a 10euro cut each game...40 euro for Portal 2 doesn't seem that much for a new game.

Btw the game will get a custom map editor so endless amount of maps if the community is active.

This game was amazing! The writing in it is phenomenal, witty, and hilarious! The story is great with it's big twist in the middle and intense ending! Was not expecting either, which makes me love it. I've played this game all the way through 4 times, and I STILL get a little shocked at the twist. Not because I don't see it coming, but because I like to think of things the way they were originally intended to be played. It's just an all around fun and innovative game. My only regret is if it was a bit longer, but it was much longer than the original Portal so I'm satisfied. Can't wait for the DLC and map editor to come.

Also, my mind was officially blown when I found out the voice of Cave Johnson is played by J.K. Simmons who may be best known as J Jonah Jameson (newspaper boss from Spider-Man movies)!

10+ Year Old Account
    Loved it, the voice acting was some of the best I've seen in a long time in games, I loved the new characters, Cave, Wheatly. The puzzles were fun, not too hard, the game was pretty fluid, could have been a little longer. The environments were AMAZING, especially once Wheatly started screwing them over

Oh, and the space thing, awesome and breathtaking, not the hardest boss i've fought, but one of the most amazing encounters nonetheless

10+ Year Old Account
    Loved it. It was a bit short, but it was high quality. Between the puzzles, sense of humor and the voice-work it was awesome.

Can't wait till the level editor is released on the masses. Should expect to see some pretty nifty things come out of the community.

So i was playing Arkham Asylum earlier, and i started thinking with portals. It was weird as hell. "I can get past that grid if i drop a portal here and over there...wait....god damnit not again"

Same shit happened after Portal 1, anyone else do this?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    So i was playing Arkham Asylum earlier, and i started thinking with portals. It was weird as hell. "I can get past that grid if i drop a portal here and over there...wait....god damnit not again"

Same shit happened after Portal 1, anyone else do this?
    I opened a new bank account like a week ago and there were these panels + glass windows separating the individual offices from one another. While my boring banker talked to me about yada yada, i kept looking at the panels to my left and right, and couldn't shake off the thought that i could build portals on both of them.

As many people have mentioned the game has no replay value. When i get a game i want it to waste my time infinitely. That's why i play online games. There is no end to them. It's a good game, but i wont buy it. I just watched the walkthroughs.
    Also, note how the game was dumbed down for the younger crowd. Valve only loves to make money. If the game was targeted for let's say 16+ individuals the tests could have been more challenging and fun, not to mention the in-game jokes.
    The cake, you know the meme that made this game popular enough to release a second one when it would normally just be a one shot with the orange box, hardly made an appearance. Also, how do you explain the return of chell in the facility? So many plotholes just to remake the game.

I loved the walkthroughs but i'd never come close to buying it. It's a good game, but it could have been better imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    Hi i am any class in the game. To beat me spam icelance and then talk about how skilled you are when the 20k crits roll in.

Deleted
    I liked it, voted for nice option.

IMO better than 1st one simply because the testing itself was longer, more chambers etc.

What I wasn't exatly fond of were the 5th and 6th chapters where you run around like an idiot :<. But then again it has "story" so why not.

Also I think that all the "new main additions" (blue, red and especially WHITE gel and also that laser tube thing which transfers things) have so much more potentional. Especially the white gel, that thing could help to create chambers so freaking hard it would make your eyes bleed .

When I first saw a Gel that helps you create a portal anywhere you spray it I was like "man, now the real fun and difficulty begins" but not really. I think they didn't use its potentional more than like 10%.

edit: also people saying that the game was easy... Compared to what? 0_o... This forum really will bitch about everything.
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2011-05-01 at 12:18 PM.

Really difficult. I liked the mechanics and back story.

More elements. Lots of 'WTF' puzzles that had me stuck for ages just running around trying the craziest shit I could think of.

Man I fscking love Portal.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

Deleted
    It was so good.. Better than the first, and the first was insanely good.
    I think the difficulty was great. It took me time to figure out what to do, but not so much It just got boring / frustrating.
    The story was just great, and the humor was really fun..
    I loved wheatley and cave..
    Last edited by mmoca172a76622; 2011-05-01 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verth View Post
    As many people have mentioned the game has no replay value. When i get a game i want it to waste my time infinitely. That's why i play online games. There is no end to them. It's a good game, but i wont buy it. I just watched the walkthroughs.
    Also, note how the game was dumbed down for the younger crowd. Valve only loves to make money. If the game was targeted for let's say 16+ individuals the tests could have been more challenging and fun, not to mention the in-game jokes.
    The cake, you know the meme that made this game popular enough to release a second one when it would normally just be a one shot with the orange box, hardly made an appearance. Also, how do you explain the return of chell in the facility? So many plotholes just to remake the game.

I loved the walkthroughs but i'd never come close to buying it. It's a good game, but it could have been better imo.
    I'm guessing you have never actually played the games. So, I'm honestly not sure why you're posting here. Either way, Spoiler alert below:

SPOILER ALERT!!!
    Chell blew up Glados at the end of Portal and then there's a cut scene of her being dragged away from the site by a robot. Valve released an online comic 'Lab Rat' to go into more detail of what happened to the scientists in the building and it also connects portal to portal 2. I'm guessing you won't read it so I'll just tell you: there's Rat Man who survived Glados's mass neurotoxin homicide. He's the one who writes all the shit on the walls and leaves the clues for Chell. HE is the one who woke Chell up in the first game because on her file it says she is too tenacious and she NEVER GIVES UP and she should NOT be tested. It's how he knew she was 'the one' who would take down Glados so he could go free as well.

That being said, during the comic you find out that after Chell takes out Glados and she is taken away, the facility suffers from a shutdown or whatever. He has to get her preservation room back online so she can survive, which he succeeds at. So Chell is pretty much asleep for like a millennium before she wakes up (rather than just dying/becoming a vegetable, thanks to Rat Man). You can get full details by googling it and reading the comic yourself.
    END SPOILER!

Now besides that, Portal wasn't expected to be a hit. In fact, they had expected Portal to fail. Only 8 people worked on the first one. 40 worked on Portal 2. So, of course things will change. But it wasn't a 'oh let's just charge money for it now because people liked it so much.' Like I said, it went from 8 people's free time on developing a game to 40 people working full-time and them hiring voice actors and actually, you know, putting effort into the graphics.

The meme wasn't actually MEANT to be a meme. The general population turned it into that; it wasn't Valve's intention. They decided not to introduce it into the second game simply because memes grow stale. You can actually read all about it in various interviews people did with Wolpaw. A lot of work went into Portal 2, and that includes a LOT of testing ( ha-ha. But seriously, they did do a lot of testing). They had considered a whole new character but scraped it because the people they were testing the game on didn't like it. It was a lot of little things and very few MAJOR things, but you can also read about it if you're willing to dig around (ie wikipedia).

The game itself definitely wasn't 'dumbed down', either. I'm actually unsure of how you would come to this conclusion? You just watched the videos, though, which means the person or people likely already knew what to do or had some vague idea. If you had played it for yourself I can guarantee you wouldn't be saying this.

So I guess in essence, you really didn't look into this and expected it all to be dropped in your lap. Surprise!

edit: also, no replay value? puhhleaase. I've hauled ass through it twice now and it's still not gotten old. Plus there is co-op which is also really great.
    Last edited by Willelm; 2011-05-01 at 11:31 AM.
    Secure accounts ftw!!

Quote Originally Posted by Willelm View Post
    snip
    Thanks for introducing me to the comic. Yes i did play portal one. I bought the orange box to get tf2 and played portal 1 just out of curiocity.
    I think i'll check the comic myself.
    One thing though. I don't remember chell being dragged out. When i finished the game i remember just laying there dead. Then before portal 2 came out i watched a walkthrough of the first game just to remember it since i didn't want to waste time downloading it again and i was realy confused with the scene where chell was dragged. I could be my memory but can it be that they added that scene to the game after they decided to make a portal 2, you know with a steam update or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    Hi i am any class in the game. To beat me spam icelance and then talk about how skilled you are when the 20k crits roll in.

Quote Originally Posted by Verth View Post
    Thanks for introducing me to the comic. Yes i did play portal one. I bought the orange box to get tf2 and played portal 1 just out of curiocity.
    I think i'll check the comic myself.
    One thing though. I don't remember chell being dragged out. When i finished the game i remember just laying there dead. Then before portal 2 came out i watched a walkthrough of the first game just to remember it since i didn't want to waste time downloading it again and i was realy confused with the scene where chell was dragged. I could be my memory but can it be that they added that scene to the game after they decided to make a portal 2, you know with a steam update or something.
    I don't think so. I've re-played Portal many times and I always remembered there being a cut scene, but it was more of an ominous one rather than one where they expected to make another game.

'Cause like I said they were not expecting Portal to even go anywhere. I don't imagine the 8 people who worked on the first one ever dreamed of it becoming big like it did, or it even going anywhere (hence why it was in the Orange Box and therefore technically free), or it being successful enough to create a second one.
    Secure accounts ftw!!