Thread: FPS Drop in 25M

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

FPS Drop in 25M

Hi, my issue is that my fps goes to complete shit in 25M. I'am currently in a fairly progressed 10M HM guild and constantly run at 40+ FPS. I ran at 40-50+ all the way through Ulduar and ICC 25Mans as well. But now when I even go to do a fight like BH 25M (which isnt even graphically intense) my FPS completely gets destroyed. It basically drops below 10-15. I was wondering what could be causing an issue like, I can post computer specs when I get home if needed.

I would be grateful for any help as I want to transition from 10M to 25M raiding.

EDIT: Computer Specs

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10 GHz
    2GB RAM
    32-bit Win 7
    ATI Radeon HD 4650

I realize that 25M is more graphically intense, but on HM LK 25 I was running a smooth 35+. Could the difference between LK HM25 and BH 25 be that big? IF anything, HM LK 25 seems much more graphically intense.

In 10M I run everything on Ultra and max resolution. I have tried setting everything to "good" for 25M and keeping my max resolution but my fps still only hit about 20 max.
    Last edited by Arrow91; 2011-05-05 at 12:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It helps if you post your specs =P 25M has twice the stress on your hardware of 10M(Obviously).
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Guessing that you have rather low end CPU. 25-man raiding needs a lot of processor power, it's totally normal that in 25-mans your framerate drops to about 1/3 of what you had in 10-mans... There's also coincidentially about 3x more players in 25-man raid.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-04-28 at 10:23 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I think it has to do something with a new graphic spell, that look like a green cloud, or a smooth-animation spray. I'm not sure what it's called. I believe it's coming from Resto shaman or Resto druid spec.

I had a problem too, it dropped my FPS temporarily until the spell wore off.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodynamic View Post
    Hi, my issue is that my fps goes to complete shit in 25M. I'am currently in a fairly progressed 10M HM guild and constantly run at 40+ FPS. I ran at 40-50+ all the way through Ulduar and ICC 25Mans as well. But now when I even go to do a fight like BH 25M (which isnt even graphically intense) my FPS completely gets destroyed. It basically drops below 10-15. I was wondering what could be causing an issue like, I can post computer specs when I get home if needed.

I would be grateful for any help as I want to transition from 10M to 25M raiding.
    Are you talking post 4.1? I had a massive fps drop until I turned off a bunch of addons which apparently weren't working properly. I was down from my usual 60 to 10 in BoT

Otherwise, what they said.

Pre-4.1. I realize that 25M is more graphically intense, but on HM LK 25 I was running a smooth 35+. Could the difference between LK HM25 and BH 25 be that big? IF anything, HM LK 25 seems much more graphically intense.

Updated with specs

Deleted
    Yeah it can be a bit puzzling what actually causes the FPS drops sometimes. On LK25 i never had any FPS isues, however on Sindragosa25 or Bloodqueen25 it dipped fairly low. In current tier the only encounter giving me bad FPS is Nefarion25 (by bad i mean around 20-25 fps) and heroic Valiona and Theralion25 at the start of phase 1 (at the first blackout) after that it picks up to normal.
    Last edited by mmocb2358cdeee; 2011-05-05 at 01:07 PM.

Deleted
    If you'er using any specific addon it can kill FPS aswell, such as I once had an out-dated version of recount, worked fine most of the time, but then all of a sudden when shit started to the fan with stuff happening on my screen my FPS dropped where as I normally had fine dps. but since your also doing 10m and stuff I am a bit puzzled if that is the case

A lot of my guild officers are suffering with FPS problems after 4.1. I imagine is probably is addon based, because we're the only ones that kept a selection of raid monitoring addons for admin purposes. If you need recount or other admin addons, I suggest having the least important guy with the best FPS run it and everyone else be on minimal addons.

Yep, those specs are too low to run 25-man raids at high quality and high resolution. Shouldn't be big difference between ICC25 and BH25 so I guess your settings are not the same as before.

Can try using DX11 mode if it makes any difference. R4650 is not officially DX11 card, but R4850 is neither and runs in DX11 mode totally fine. Also try turning off all addons and clear both caches to see if there's something related to the 4.1 patch.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like addons burdening your CPU. My gf's machine is a 2.6ghz duel core and I'm able to run BH 25 for her on her computer no problem (30+ fps), but I dropped one of my old 4870's in there. But I don't run Recount, Omen, SCT or any other combat log parsing addon except DBM.

Fortunately for you you're running AMD. You could most likely drop in a much higher end CPU without issue. It would only require you to find your motherboard make/model, which can be found in most cases using the free utility CPUID/CPU-Z. Go to the manufacturers website and find a CPU compatibility list and go shopping. You can still find older AMD cpu models out there in the wild.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerodynamic View Post

EDIT: Computer Specs

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10 GHz
    2GB RAM
    32-bit Win 7
    ATI Radeon HD 4650

I realize that 25M is more graphically intense, but on HM LK 25 I was running a smooth 35+. Could the difference between LK HM25 and BH 25 be that big? IF anything, HM LK 25 seems much more graphically intense.

In 10M I run everything on Ultra and max resolution. I have tried setting everything to "good" for 25M and keeping my max resolution but my fps still only hit about 20 max.
    I think its your ram - its obv the weakest part of your pc - and easy solution would be to buy more ram and see what preformance is like - then decide if you want a full upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    Fortunately for you you're running AMD. You could most likely drop in a much higher end CPU without issue. It would only require you to find your motherboard make/model
    Fastest CPU on that socket is Athlon 64 X2 6000+ which is still five years old junk just like 4000+ is, and not a big improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    I think its your ram - its obv the weakest part of your pc - and easy solution would be
    Nop, problem is the 5 years old CPU, and there's nothing short of swapping whole motherboard+cpu+ram that will improve speed significantly. Buying more RAM for 5 years old motherboard would be tragic mistake since it can't be used on any current computer.

I used to have Athlon 64 x2 4200+ and Radeon 4850 with 1680x1050 monitor and medium-ish settings. I ditched that piece of shit when I was running at 5-15fps in ToC25 hardmodes for PhenomII x3 which bumped the framerate to more usable 25-35 with same R4850 card. And even PhenomII x3 is two years old tech now. Current computer (listed in sig) does 40-50fps happily in high settings on 1920x1080 resolution even while frapsing.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-05-05 at 01:52 PM.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Fastest CPU on that socket is Athlon 64 X2 6000+ which is still five years old junk just like 4000+ is, and not a big improvement.

Nop, problem is the 5 years old CPU, and there's nothing short of swapping whole motherboard+cpu+ram that will improve speed significantly. Buying more RAM for 5 years old motherboard would be tragic mistake since it can't be used on any current computer.

I used to have Athlon 64 x2 4200+ and Radeon 4850 with 1680x1050 monitor and medium-ish settings. I ditched that piece of shit when I was running at 5-15fps in ToC25 hardmodes for PhenomII x3 which bumped the framerate to more usable 25-35 with same R4850 card. And even PhenomII x3 is two years old tech now.
    a tragic mistake? - you know how cheap old ram is

also im betting you have more than 2gb?

Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    a tragic mistake? - you know how cheap old ram is
    You might just as well flush the money down the toilet, it will give about same increase in WoW framerate but is whole lot faster and easier than finding a store that still has DDR2 on the shelf. Also DDR2 costs lot more than DDR3 today, supply and demand, you know?
    Trolling should be.

You might just as well flush the money down the toilet, it will give about same increase in WoW framerate but is whole lot faster and easier than finding a store that still has DDR2 on the shelf. Also DDR2 costs lot more than DDR3 today, supply and demand, you know?
    You are wrong, DDR2 is much cheaper than DDR3. All the local shops in my country sell DDR3 for about 30% higher price than DDR.

Here's some price examples:

1) DDR2
    2) DDR3

The more PC components "age" the faster their value drops because people are willing nowdays to buy a new unit/device/etc at least once a year. More so if games keep getting more and more demanding and most people tend to keep up with the times.

There's demand for better, more compact & less consuming components not for antiques.

Personally I'd go for the processor & video board and try to change them. They would have a much greater impact on FPS. Also there's quite a bit you haven't said about the video board. Is it a 64bit/128 bit, 512 mb/1GB memory with GDDR2/GDDR3, PCI Express or the ones for AGP 8x (like this). You could have bought a very bland gfx card that has the lowest performance of the 4650s.

Here's what you could buy to replace the video card:
    XFX Radeon 6950 2GB/ 256 bit GDDR5
    or
    MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB/ 256 GDDR5

Either of these babies will grant you a minimum of 60 FPS in 25man raiding. The more you invest in your PC and buy new and up-to-date merchandize the better the game will work. While WoW is an old game they've added a lot of "modern" engine upgrades to the game making it more and more demanding. You can't expect maximum output from a 2007s mid-low end video card coupled with the processor and ram that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    You are wrong, DDR2 is much cheaper than DDR3. All the local shops in my country sell DDR3 for about 30% higher price than DDR.

Here's some price examples:

1) DDR2
    2) DDR3
    If you try to make a point and claim somebody's wrong, don't make too many amateur mistakes (I'm being generous here and assuming you didn't do it on purpose). The DDR3 kit you listed as an example is ECC RAM meant for servers.

Here's Newegg's prices of DDR2 and DDR3 2x2GB RAM kits which are the current mainstream purchase for gaming computer. Sorted in order of lowest price first for your convenience.

TL;DR version: DDR3 kits start from $40 and DDR2 kits start from $55.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Here's what you could buy to replace the video card:
    XFX Radeon 6950 2GB/ 256 bit GDDR5
    or
    MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB/ 256 GDDR5

Either of these babies will grant you a minimum of 60 FPS in 25man raiding.
    Neither of those babies will grant you a minimum of even 6 fps when both will be bottlenecked by 5 years old CPU, especially when WoW is not like other games. 25-man raids are CPU capped, not GPU capped. It's bit more effective than dropping money down the toilet, but not much since you'd get same results with $100 card.
    Trolling should be.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I used to have Athlon 64 x2 4200+ and Radeon 4850 with 1680x1050 monitor and medium-ish settings. I ditched that piece of shit when I was running at 5-15fps in ToC25 hardmodes for PhenomII x3 which bumped the framerate to more usable 25-35 with same R4850 card. And even PhenomII x3 is two years old tech now. Current computer (listed in sig) does 40-50fps happily in high settings on 1920x1080 resolution even while frapsing.

But I would still suggest checking your motherboards CPU compatibility list. The reason I said fortunately you're on AMD is because they did a lot of backwards compatibility while moving up generations. Many branded AM2 motherboards will actually take AM2+ processors with bios updates. They will run at AM2 spec which will have a slower HT bus and fewer power lanes so you won't be able to upgrade to a power hungry beast. But there could be a possibility of a quad core cpu that is compatible. Possibly even a cheapo tri core. Worth a look.

Edit: Sorry can't recall if there were tri core AM2+ they did come later. So they may be AM3
    Last edited by dicertification; 2011-05-05 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    But I would still suggest checking your motherboards CPU compatibility list. The reason I said fortunately you're on AMD is because they did a lot of backwards compatibility while moving up generations. Many branded AM2 motherboards will actually take AM2+ processors with bios updates.
    Athlon 64 uses socket 939 board, not AM2, so the upgrade options are pretty close to zero.
    Trolling should be.