Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best class for gathering alts

Usually, when I roll an alt, I just give them herbalism and mining for the easy cash. I've been playing them a lot more lately, and was thinking about giving them real professions for the self-perks.

Yes, it's silly to think I'll ever get more than a handful to 85 and doing heroics, but for the mental exercise: If I want a gatherer make optimal use of his profession perks, which class is best suited for each profession?

Mining - Toughness - 120 stamina
    Herbalism - Lifebloom - 80 haste (on average) and healing
    Skinning - Anatomy - 80 crit

With some minor research, I will postulate that:

Tanks make good use of mining. 120 stam is on par with what you can get from other profession perks.

Rogues benefit the most from haste, compared to other classes.

Hunteres benefit the most from crit. (I'm not sure about that.)

Anyone ever given something like this any thought?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say Druid. Not only can you gather herbs in flight form, but haste benefits pretty much every spec except tank. If you also have mining though, than the stamina is good for the tank.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Best class for gathering?? Druids! They can mine/herb while in flight form! I hate those guys! That's why I'm making my level 60 druid a miner/herber. Swoop in, grab what you need, fly away. No mount/unmount=less time lost=more time spent gathering= more $$$.
    Lok'tar ogar! Victory or death - it is these words that bind me to the Horde. For they are the most sacred and fundamental of truths to any warrior of the Horde.
    I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.
    From this moment until the end of days I live and die - FOR THE HORDE!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rdenhov/simple

Druid
    /thread

Brain dead answer. and everyone above has got it right.

Druids are excellent, but I'll put in an honorable mention for pallies as well. Crusader Aura, 310% flight, and mount up guild perk are awesome.

I have a druid gatherer and appreciate the bonus to gathering speed. I'm asking about the exact opposite: what do the gathering perks do for the class?

Specifically, is there a class/spec that appreciates crit or haste more than the other classes?

Druids excel in herb gathering.
    However, they cannot mine in flight form. That means that if someone attacks you in mining form, you cannot fly away from damage since you cannot go in flight form in combat.
    I'd say Paladin tanks make the best miners, Paladin because of the Crusader Aura (you beat competitors to nodes) and because if someone attacks you over a node, I'd rather be a tank and annoy the shit out of them.

Hunters also rock for stealing nodes. If you see someone farming a node, ice trap him, gather that node and fly away

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    Specifically, is there a class/spec that appreciates crit or haste more than the other classes?
    Crit and haste are one of those stats that everyone wants, to some degree, but your build determines which of the two is more important. Generally, though, you want as much as you can get of both. So play what you want.

From the strict gatherer perspective, a Tauren Druid, feral if you want to gather in mines and caves, is the most efficient. As a Paladin, WoWWiki says Crusader Aura with the 310% flying will get you to 392% before guild perks, which is 10%. Druids will fly at 310% before the guild perk. If you don't play Horde, or have no reliable way to transfer the gather items on a neutral auction house, the choice is yours of whether you would rather play a Druid or Paladin. If you do play Horde, the Tauren Cultivation will make you an herb bully with no equal, aside from other Tauren Druid gatherers of course, lol.
    Cultivation Racial Passive
    Herbalism skill increased by 15 and you gather herbs faster than normal herbalists.

In the latest Cataclysm build this racial an additional benefit: The actual gathering of herbs is a 2 seconds cast, but Cultivation reduces this for Tauren to only take 0.5s.
    Yes, it really does make that much of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelleas View Post
    However, they cannot mine in flight form. That means that if someone attacks you in mining form, you cannot fly away from damage since you cannot go in flight form in combat.
    I'd say Paladin tanks make the best miners, Paladin because of the Crusader Aura (you beat competitors to nodes) and because if someone attacks you over a node, I'd rather be a tank and annoy the shit out of them.

Hunters also rock for stealing nodes. If you see someone farming a node, ice trap him, gather that node and fly away
    Of course, only applicable if you play on PvP realms. But yes, mining knocks Druids out of flight form, but at least it's instant for when you're finished mining. If you're making a dual gatherer, by this point it's just class preference, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Tanks are bowls. Healers are milk. DPS is the cereal. If you don't have a bowl, nothing's going anywhere but where you don't want it. If your milk's bad, the whole meal is instantly ruined. If there is not enough cereal, the whole meal is a failure and you aren't satisfied.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Druids can cyclone people farming nodes, and cyclone silences too so the only way to break it is with a pvp trinket.

Usually, when I roll an alt, I just give them herbalism and mining for the easy cash. I've been playing them a lot more lately, and was thinking about giving them real professions for the self-perks.

Yes, it's silly to think I'll ever get more than a handful to 85 and doing heroics, but for the mental exercise: If I want a gatherer make optimal use of his profession perks, which class is best suited for each profession?

Mining - Toughness - 120 stamina
    Herbalism - Lifebloom - 80 haste (on average) and healing
    Skinning - Anatomy - 80 crit

With some minor research, I will postulate that:

Tanks make good use of mining. 120 stam is on par with what you can get from other profession perks.

Rogues benefit the most from haste, compared to other classes.

Hunteres benefit the most from crit. (I'm not sure about that.)

Anyone ever given something like this any thought?
    I have a druid gatherer and appreciate the bonus to gathering speed. I'm asking about the exact opposite: what do the gathering perks do for the class?

For one thing, gathering professions will never match the perks of normal ones. That is in terms of bonuses and money making. The only exception to this is that the stamina bonus from mining is actually pretty sweet for tanks compared to other profession perks.

However, if you want to have 2 gathering professions, I would suggest the following:

Rogue - skin/herb. More melee haste and crit.
    Feral Druid (dps) - skin/herb. Same as above.
    Feral Druid (tank) - skin/mining. Bears love some crit.
    Hunters (BM, MM, or a Surv build using Go for the Throat and Sic 'Em talents) - skin/herb. Hunters have a lot of talents that benefit from crit.

Basically, physical dps specs or classes benefit more from gathering professions than others. Tanks in general benefit from stam, but crit is really only useful for Druid bear tanks. Haste is also on the low end of the totem pole for tanks.

Caster dps and healers benefit from haste, but crit is not really gemmed or reforged for. Crit is actually often reforged into hit, haste, or mastery.

Regarding professions, if you are interested in a combination of PvE/PvP utility and profitability (gold making), I suggest pairing a gathering prof with its associated production prof.
    Opulence. I has it.

Deleted
    Unless you are night elf and Shadowmeld (which breaks you out of combat) and then activate flight form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Druid.
    Worgen Druids are their own mounts, literally.
    Night Elves have Shadowmeld
    Tauren Herb faster than normal herbalists.
    Troll.... they look cool?

I'm gonna toss in DKs for dedicated gatherers since they start at high level, can protect themselves very well plus On a Pale Horse and unholy presence for speed boosts.

Deleted
    haha I was just gonna add what Lucyrotten said for exactly the same reason.

DK farmbot saves you 55 levels worth of leveling, which granted with full heirlooms doesnt take too long. Tho I would haev chosen a druid to gather with had my main not been a driud .

Quote Originally Posted by llcjay1 View Post
    For one thing, gathering professions will never match the perks of normal ones. That is in terms of bonuses and money making. The only exception to this is that the stamina bonus from mining is actually pretty sweet for tanks compared to other profession perks.

However, if you want to have 2 gathering professions, I would suggest the following:

Rogue - skin/herb. More melee haste and crit.
    Feral Druid (dps) - skin/herb. Same as above.
    Feral Druid (tank) - skin/mining. Bears love some crit.
    Hunters (BM, MM, or a Surv build using Go for the Throat and Sic 'Em talents) - skin/herb. Hunters have a lot of talents that benefit from crit.

Basically, physical dps specs or classes benefit more from gathering professions than others. Tanks in general benefit from stam, but crit is really only useful for Druid bear tanks. Haste is also on the low end of the totem pole for tanks.

Caster dps and healers benefit from haste, but crit is not really gemmed or reforged for. Crit is actually often reforged into hit, haste, or mastery.

Regarding professions, if you are interested in a combination of PvE/PvP utility and profitability (gold making), I suggest pairing a gathering prof with its associated production prof.
    Thanks for the input, and for addressing the actual topic (lol). I had been thinking that I should only sacrifice one profession slot to gathering, if it comes down to it.

I disagree with the majority of posters who taut druids as the best gatherers. Druids are sub-optimal gatherers due to their lack of increased speed. Druids can only attain 310% flight speed while Paladins can attain 330% with Crusader Aura and Death Knights can attain 330% flight speed with On a Pale Horse. All classes can acheive a slighter faster flight speed with the guild level perk Mount Up however, these flight increases do not stack with other effects. One may argue that the druid's advantage is not having to re-mount after gathering however, I have found the flight speed increase to more than make up for that. IMHO the best gatherer is an Unholy Death Knight due to the increased flight speed and the permanent ghoul pet which allows him to gather while warding off aggroed mobs.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    if you're horde Tauren Drood obviously

but in ally i've found dk doing better, both unholy or frost works good (i prefer frost because i can "trap" all mobs around the spot instantly and burn them in 2-3 GCDs after i got my herb/ore)

Herbalism goes
    Tauren Druid > Any other druid > Tauren Paladin/DK > any other Paladin/DK >everything else. Not having to dismount not only means less downtime, but it also means you can herb any node guarded by a melee-only mob, and you can generally herb and fly away even if the mob is ranged.

Pally/DK is on top for the other two because of the mount speed thing. Worgen for skinning, you can ninja directly from other people with it since your skinning only takes .5 seconds. Even if the other guy is spamming the skinning button after he loots you'll still take it. This will make you a jerkface, but it's also a nice perk even if you're not a jerkface.

I do like my mining rogue, going into places like the elementium depths. Spelunking is best with a rogue because you can stealth and sap and mine and restealth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worgen druid skinning cast time: 0.5 seconds. just a nice tidbit for those who'd care to flight form poach other's kills lol.

worgen druid skin/herb by far, the prices on ores are dropping rapidly on my server at least, I only dropped on my tank dk jewelcrafter so that i could level as inscription and skip therazane rep round 3

tauren druid herbalism buff is marginally helpful at best once you're profession capped, and the skill increase is replicable with a "gatherer" or "advanced herbalism" glove enchant if i'm not mistaken as well.

Mining with pvp frost spec is fun with the aoe stun ability and mount speed talents, as well as various other perks, as well as the fact that you'll be hitting the ground capable of 375 gathering from the moment you get out of phased start zones.

But it really comes down to farming style, guerilla or face-first. Some will favor the heavy hitting high survival farming (dk's/ paladins mostly) while others opt for the stealthiness and such offered by hunters, druids and rogues.

I'm fond of either a druid or a pet class for a easy sacrificial time-buy whilst i make off with the goodies. Slows, CC, et cetera are of course pluses hands down.
    Last edited by kemanorel; 2011-04-30 at 03:18 PM.