Major Networking Help

Hello All, Thankyou for taking the time out of your day to click on my thread.

Long story short, I have a roomate who is on skype all day long with his wife, NONSTOP, All Day everyday.

And it is killing my WoW Latency skyrocketing up to 3000 ms,when he's not on skype its 22-100 ms witch is playable.

Btw I pay for the Internet.

What i want to know is,is there a way using firmware or or a program that is easy to use that i can limit or disable his bandwith usage

I have a Linksys e1000 Router and Comcast Internet.

The whole reason behind this is that I recently was given the Oppurtunity to prove my self on the 10th best guild on my server ( Mal ' Ganis)

And I dont want latency to be what decides people's opinions of me as a player.

Easy. Tell him that he needs to start paying for his share of the Internet bill. He also needs to respect you and your needs. Really, if he's not paying for the Internet, he has absolutely NO room to argue and needs to free up YOUR bandwidth. Make sure he knows of your situation and if he doesn't comply, then pushing is coming to shoving.

You can download NetLimiter (http://www.netlimiter.com/download.php) and use that to limit his upstream bandwidth (it's the fact that Skype is using every ounce of upstream bandwidth that's causing the issue) to 50% of the total upstream bandwidth. It would have to be installed on his computer, though, as far as I know.

Push comes to shove, if he's using wireless, enable MAC Filtering and block his MAC address.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    Easy. Tell him that he needs to start paying for his share of the Internet bill. He also needs to respect you and your needs. Really, if he's not paying for the Internet, he has absolutely NO room to argue and needs to free up YOUR bandwidth. Make sure he knows of your situation and if he doesn't comply, then pushing is coming to shoving.

You can download NetLimiter (http://www.netlimiter.com/download.php) and use that to limit his upstream bandwidth (it's the fact that Skype is using every ounce of upstream bandwidth that's causing the issue) to 50% of the total upstream bandwidth. It would have to be installed on his computer, though, as far as I know.

Push comes to shove, if he's using wireless, enable MAC Filtering and block his MAC address.
    MAC filtering works on wired to. You could also turn DHCP off on the router and just assign your devices with a static ip.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonlockMG View Post
    MAC filtering works on wired to. You could also turn DHCP off on the router and just assign your devices with a static ip.
    Actually, my router only does Wireless MAC Filtering... it's pretty lame.

Most residential routers only do MAC filtering on Wireless. For some obvious reasons too.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Easy, set up a WEP key and never tell him what it is.

Problem solved!

Deleted
    If he's on wireless a lot of good routers let you unscrew the arial. I used to do this and claim ignorance as to why they couldn't get a connection.

At the end of the day if he is taking the piss on a connection you pay for either tell him to stop or physically make him stop. It can be quite difficult to limit bandwidth on a home connection without installing software on the machine you want to limit.