Writing Addons for WoW?

I am curious what tools etc people use to write the various addons for WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not totally sure but I believe alot of it is LUA scripting / writing it and editing blizzards LUA code or something. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A really good text editor that can handle many languages like Notepad++ with syntax highlighting, and line count, etc is a must.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chris1554 View Post
    I'm not totally sure but I believe alot of it is LUA scripting / writing it and editing blizzards LUA code or something. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    you're right and wrong: wow addons are written with LUA code, but are built without editing any of blizzard's codes. i think a common editor is notepad++ since it's free and has a really large amount of features. you can of course use windows' own notepad, but it's really ugly

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruzux View Post
    use windows' own notepad
    For any larger project I would NOT recommend the basic Notepad.

well if you are talking about just the "tools" ..

Editors: http://www.wowpedia.org/Lua_editors
    WYSIWYG Editor: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...IDesigner.html
    WoW syntax highlighting: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18172

-- resources
    FrameXML: http://www.wowpedia.org/Viewing_Bliz...interface_code
    API: Wowpedia, wowprogramming

-- "addons"
    DevTools: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/cat35.html

Myself I'm using Notepad++ as the text editor

Edit: If this is just about text editors / IDEs, I might as well link to this WowAce thread
    Last edited by Ketho; 2011-04-30 at 03:55 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm a fan of PSPad - it comes with a Lua highlighter, and is free.

I have used ConTEXT for any addons i have worked with. It has lua syntax highlighting etc and can create projects combines all the lua and xml files you might use for your addon

Notepad++

Supports a large array of programming languages and has highlighting.

Deleted
    I've used Notepad++ (freeware) for writing my AddOns so far. I also once saw a development environment which reminded me a lot of Visual Studio and allowed drag-and-drop of graphical UI components if I remember correctly. You might want to look for that if you are planning on making an AddOn with graphical components. For basic slash command executing AddOns Notepad++ is sufficient. Also having a good API documentation of lua and wow specific functions is a must have. WoWWiki has all I've needed so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll want something capable of both LUA and XML for highlighting. LUA is the functional end and XML covers layout and frame rendering. It's not hard to get started in addons but it can get complicated quickly if you've never programmed before so do your homework on the WoW api and LUA/XML in general before diving in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by madyrn View Post
    XML covers layout and frame rendering
    Just going to throw that out there, Lua can do that too, and dynamically.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm with Treeston - anything you can do in WoW's XML can be done in lua instead, and be easier to look at and fix to boot, since you're not having to swap between two entirely different ways of organizing code.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can anyone recommend a good guide on how to get started with writing your own addon? Something I'm interested in trying...

Quote Originally Posted by Indiglo View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good guide on how to get started with writing your own addon? Something I'm interested in trying...
    Last edited by Ketho; 2011-05-01 at 03:27 PM.

Deleted
    And most importantly, if there's something you can't figure out how to do, read other authors' addons that do similar things.
    Most authors will be happy to offer explanation over PM/IRC regarding their code if you're unable to grasp what it does right away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very awesome, thanks bud.