Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

need some pc related help, which test knowledge!

hi there

as player of wow (am sure a core or hardcore) i need your help on a pc related issue

my PC's specs are
    AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core processor TK-57 1.90GHZ

2.00GB

32-bit operating system

am posting this to find out your opinion on what I should do to pimp up the specs of this laptop

THINGS I WOULD NOT TAKE

1.bad opinions for example "that PC is crap there is no way of improving that"
    2.harmful opinions for example "that cant even run a 5man dungeons haha"
    3.dumb opinions for example "just give up"
    i would really love if you please keep to the bounds in this post really i think this post is a good idea to test your knowledge on making improvements and overall pimping a laptop ;)

am a old wow player been since the end of wrath and am planning to come back but am not planning to come back with 4fps in a 25man raid xD, dw back then this pc in a 10man raid ran at smooth speed but in 25 there were abit of concerns all i want is my pc running smooth in a 25man raid and laid back in 10man.

and also i dont want negative advice saying "well these specs will work but tbh its still running at a rly bad frame rate" please peeps keep it positive xx :)

That's the problem, a laptop of that level, can't be upgraded to really help at all. It's not an opinion, much less a bad one. That's just how it is.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

we can give you some better suggestions if you include the resolution you play at and the video card in your laptop.

If you do not have a video card it is beyond hope for raiding

Deleted
    tbh it is a opinion am just saying give me your thoughts on this matter and what u would do if u were in this sate, u just looked at this post with no thought and tbh rly they are ways of improvment...for example programs etc and no "that's just how it is" tbh again i would REALLY luv it sir if u just put god dam thought into it not just "wow there is nothing u can do with it" :L sorry but i can rly feel there is no thought in your "opinion"...

---------- Post added 2011-04-30 at 01:33 AM ----------

kk tulion lol soz one sec

---------- Post added 2011-04-30 at 01:35 AM ----------

ATI radeon X1250 t

Quote Originally Posted by LOL787LOL View Post
    tbh it is a opinion am just saying give me your thoughts on this matter and what u would do if u were in this sate, u just looked at this post with no thought and tbh rly they are ways of improvment...for example programs etc and no "that's just how it is" tbh again i would REALLY luv it sir if u just put god dam thought into it not just "wow there is nothing u can do with it" :L sorry but i can rly feel there is no thought in your "opinion"...

---------- Post added 2011-04-30 at 01:33 AM ----------

kk tulion lol soz one sec
    Sorry dude but there are no magic programs to make a crap computer give you reasonable fps.
    And laptops can't really be upgraded so... you'll need a new one if you want to do better.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    1280 x 800 screen resolution

---------- Post added 2011-04-30 at 01:41 AM ----------

taekvideo am not saying there is a "magical programs" out there..knowing there are a few lol

---------- Post added 2011-04-30 at 01:47 AM ----------

ok knowing that this post has gone tits UP i would love just to know YOUR opinion of what a good pc with a reasonable price would be and to make this harder a price range of 500-585, jeez i would expect abit more detailed opinions but since half of you have gone meh like women on improving a pc i may aswell try just shift this to other shall i? jeeez :L

The age of the parts you've listed would necessitate upgrade parts that probably aren't even being produced anymore.
    Combined with the fact that laptops, in general, are not particularly easily upgraded.

Also, 500-585 what? You're manner of typing perhaps leads me to think we're speaking in something other than US dollars.

---------- Post added 2011-04-30 at 01:41 AM ----------

taekvideo am not saying there is a "magical programs" out there..knowing there are a few lol

---------- Post added 2011-04-30 at 01:47 AM ----------

ok knowing that this post has gone tits UP i would love just to know YOUR opinion of what a good pc with a reasonable price would be and to make this harder a price range of 500-585, jeez i would expect abit more detailed opinions but since half of you have gone meh like women on improving a pc i may aswell try just shift this to other shall i? jeeez :L
    That's the thing, it's a laptop. Laptops in that range cannot be upgraded in a way that will make it playable for you. There is no improvement you can do to that laptop that will help you any. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    That's the thing, it's a laptop. Laptops in that range cannot be upgraded in a way that will make it playable for you. There is no improvement you can do to that laptop that will help you any. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.
    there is the slight possibility of adding a little ram, but for the most part the OP is SoL

to the OP, as stated several times, laptops are not designed to upgraded, some are, most are not.

it is possible to do a full MB replacement, if there are compatible parts, but when you figure in the cost of the parts, and labor to a technician willing to attempt that (very few, and probably the $150 an hour type) it's probably cheaper to buy a full high end macbook, if you really want to up your performance, you really need to start shopping for a new laptop, im sorry thats not the answer you are looking for, but it's the way it is

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build
    For God's sake, stickies people! $500 build there is adequate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    you love linking that, don't you :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    you love linking that, don't you :P
    I'm proud of it. (:

Yeah honestly without knowing more about the hardware of your current system (Graphics card, type/speed of memory). These are fairly important details.

If you want to absolutely max your system you should upgrade to 4 gb system memory (I would suspect you are likely using some iteration of DDR2, and I would also suspect that that max your motherboard can handle is 4gb), you could upgrade to a solid state HD, and you could look into possibly upgrading to Win7 64 bit (if your CPU can handle the 64 bit OS). It should be pointed out that these upgrades would likely be fairly expensive and you may not be pleased with the performance increase that you see based on the following.

Even with these upgrades you would still be running into significant hardware limitations. Since you didn't mention you have a dedicated graphics card I am going to assume you don't have one. This is probably your biggest problem, and there is really no way around it. I know they used to make supplemental GPUs that you could stick into a external PCI-E card slot, but I have not seen them floating around for quite a while, and I am not sure how effective they were. Because you don't have a dedicated GPU, your processor is having to run double duty whenever you are running something that requires graphics processing, which means when you are running wow your CPU is probably absolutely maxed out.

Overall I would agree with what everyone else has basically said, your best option is to look into getting a new system, you could either get an off-the-shelf system and do some minor power supply/graphics card upgrades, or you can build your own system. That price range is a little light, but as Fuzzykins has pointed out it is possible to craft a system that will run alright that is within your price range. As a side note if you can spend a little more I would probably recommend getting a little bit bigger CPU then the I3 and probably a little bigger powersupply (around 500 Watts), I think you would be happier with that in the long run so you get a bit better CPU performance and you don't string out your power supply to the max.
    Last edited by lordmatthias; 2011-04-30 at 06:07 AM.

2.00GB

THINGS I WOULD NOT TAKE

2.harmful opinions for example "that cant even run a 5man dungeons haha"
    Even if you do not want to hear it, there's really no other way to put this besides outright lie.

Those specs are shit for 25-man raids, and you will not get good framerate on it no matter what you do because laptops are not upgradeable, and you will need seriously upgraded hardware.

What you can do is look through stickies, especially this one -> http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...FPS-Check-Here! for first aid until you can buy a proper computer to replace the 4 year old paperweight.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Apart from upgrading your parts you could give it a try with Gamebooster, which will close your all not needed applications.
    i dont take responsibility for anything, you need to be carefully as it might suggest you to turn of your anti virus program and such.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Most liklely the boost you will gain is minimal.

Edit: its free btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Using mildly more powerful hardware, I raid just fine in 25m content, just check recent ranking for 25 normal (i know , sad, but bad attendance week) for maloriak and magmaw on survival and marksman respectively.

Dual core amd turion 2.2 ghz

3.00 gb ram

32-bit vista

nvidia geforce 8200m

also running ventrilo and often fraps. (not great quality, but FRAPS mind you)

With: Firewall, antivirus, firefox (for alt tabbing on live updates to Worldoflogs, of course) and sometimes curse client.

15+ fps at low average.

In 25 tier 11 content, full UI, including recount. NOT FICTION.

p.s. even projected textures lol.

Poor people can raid too! (This laptop was marginally over $300 when I got it at BestBuy almost 2 years ago, and running better now than I had it set for 10 man ICC content over a year ago.)

Composing tips & tricks thread in word processor before post, complete to UI settings, OS "tweaks" et cetera, mostly done via wizards or simple to learn free tools. I'll update with links to screenshots or fraps captures ideally, with fps and performance rates visible (using a base of TukUI, with fps/latency data bar active)

Also planning to include Fraps' benchmarking rating.

Old hardware is not really a huge limiter just yet, Blizzard is fairly saavy with its minimum system requirements.
    Last edited by kemanorel; 2011-04-30 at 04:11 PM.

This is no help to the OP whatsoever considering he is looking to upgrade his laptop or even get a new LAPTOP...
    So "For God's sake" read posts before posting!!

Although, it is understandable that you may have been confused considering the OP's style of writing.
    Last edited by Jaqera; 2011-04-30 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kemanorel View Post
    Using mildly more powerful hardware, I raid just fine in 25m content, just check recent ranking for 25 normal (i know , sad, but bad attendance week) for maloriak and magmaw on survival and marksman respectively.

Dual core amd turion 2.2 ghz

3.00 gb ram

32-bit vista

nvidia geforce 8200m

also running ventrilo and often fraps. (not great quality, but FRAPS mind you)

With: Firewall, antivirus, firefox (for alt tabbing on live updates to Worldoflogs, of course) and sometimes curse client.

15+ fps at low average.

In 25 tier 11 content, full UI, including recount. NOT FICTION.

p.s. even projected textures lol.

Poor people can raid too! (This laptop was marginally over $300 when I got it at BestBuy almost 2 years ago, and running better now than I had it set for 10 man ICC content over a year ago.)

Composing tips & tricks thread in word processor before post, complete to UI settings, OS "tweaks" et cetera, mostly done via wizards or simple to learn free tools. I'll update with links to screenshots or fraps captures ideally, with fps and performance rates visible (using a base of TukUI, with fps/latency data bar active)

Also planning to include Fraps' benchmarking rating.

Old hardware is not really a huge limiter just yet, Blizzard is fairly saavy with its minimum system requirements.
    I'm sorry, but 15FPS average is unacceptable to most people (well, at least to me. 25FPS minimum, 30-40 average) as choppiness is very visible at those rates.

As for the OP - you can't (shouldn't - it will be a lot more expensive than buying a better laptop) upgrade a laptop to see a marginal performance improvement.

And if you don't game on the move - consider buying a desktop PC instead of a laptop, as you will get ~1.5x more performance for the same price.
    Last edited by Deangelo; 2011-04-30 at 05:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaqera View Post
    This is no help to the OP whatsoever considering he is looking to upgrade his laptop or even get a new LAPTOP...
    So "For God's sake" read posts before posting!!

Although, it is understandable that you may have been confused considering the OP's style of writing.
    Oh, really?

Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-04-30 at 07:32 PM.

Oh, really?
    Cool story bro. However, see what I emboldened below:
    hi there

as player of wow (am sure a core or hardcore) i need your help on a pc related issue

my PC's specs are

2.00GB
    32-bit operating system

am posting this to find out your opinion on what I should do to pimp up the specs of this laptop

THINGS I WOULD NOT TAKE

Nether of us can be proven right until the OP fully explains himself though lol

We are going slightly off topic though and I feel we should try not to belittle the OP's "style of writing" as we said. Although it is rather confusing.
    Last edited by Jaqera; 2011-04-30 at 08:22 PM.