[Pokemon] Need help with EV training!

Hey, so I'm going to start up Pokemon Black again, and need some advice on EV training. I read up quite a bit about it back in diamond/pearl, but never got around to creating a team all ev trained.
    For the moment, I'm just wanting suggestions for a strong line. I know lines can get a lot more specific, based around certain types, but this is just an average line.

Listing just pokemon, no items/skills atm, I'd like a strong set up and then I will move onto that.

Here are the 6 pokemon I am thinking of using,

Skarmory
    Milotic
    Jolteon
    Blissey
    Honchkrow
    Alakazam

Please tell me which don't fit, which pokemon would work better where, are my choices dumb? is it not bad?

Keep in mind, these will all be EV trained and capped at 100 so I'm looking for a serious team!

Thank you very much :3
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I'm personally using the new pokemon...

Volcarona
    Cofagrigus
    Samurott
    Sigilyph
    Hydregion
    Ferrothorn

might have too many special sweepers tho...

Quote Originally Posted by suspendedstasis View Post
    I'm personally using the new pokemon...

Volcarona
    Cofagrigus
    Samurott
    Sigilyph
    Hydregion
    Ferrothorn

might have too many special sweepers tho...
    I'm interested in Pokemon from older generations, anything but the current.

Also, could you explain like the whole sweeper deal? I remember reading a long time ago about crobat being good for some certain 'role'.

it's all forgotten though.

So you ask for competitive battling in Gen 5 but refusing to use yourself #494-#649?
    I would recommend smogons OU Analyses for Gen 5, not yet finished but good to read.
    The Anaslyes (EVs, Movesets, Usages, Counter, Partner) for some of your mentioned pokemon are:
    Blissey
    Jolteon
    Milotic
    Skarmory should get a rewrite soon, Honchcrow and Alakazam aren't competitive anymore in Gen5 OU for now, the UU Analyses haven't started yet.
    Honchcrow isn't strong enough, way to slow and stealth rock weakness doesn't help either.
    Alakazam isn't overwhelming too, especially without his (not yet released) dream world ability (Magic Guard). But at least he became a new toy with Psycho Shock.

If you don't care about Gen5 as a whole, than here are the Gen4 Analyses of all 6:
    Milotic
    Honchcrow
    Alakazam
    Jolteon
    Chansey
    Skarmory

Hope it helps anyhow.
    Edit: And because you asked about roles, I recommend this article.
    Last edited by Mistral; 2011-04-30 at 11:49 AM.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

As mentioned, Smogon is a good site to read up at. This was for Gen IV, but, I think it will help you out a lot:
    http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon

My advice would be to download Pokemon Online and build your team there (auto-maxxed EV's).
    Test the team out against other people playing with their teams. That way you don't waste hours and hours of game time leveling a Pokemon in game you will end up needing to replace once you find out it sucks.

EDIT: Hell, any of these articles will help you out (again, they were written for D/P, but, still worth a look if you are are looking to get your feet wet):
    http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/
    Last edited by ixirawr; 2011-04-30 at 03:26 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be competitive in G5 you're going to have to have a counter to the new dragons (Hydregion, Haxorus, Archeon) by either using them or finding something else pretty strong with some dragon or ice moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyolith View Post
    To be competitive in G5 you're going to have to have a counter to the new dragons (Hydregion, Haxorus, Archeon) by either using them or finding something else pretty strong with some dragon or ice moves.
    Even if it is never bad to have a dragon slayer (p.ex. Weavile), I must nitpick that Archen/Archeops isn't a dragon. It is actually Rock/Flying.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

thanks for reply mistral, i'll be sure to check out that article asap.

if the 5gen are really that necessary, I will end up getting them. just keep in mind, this is my first time working with an ev team on a some-what competitive level, but mainly just trying out first with friends.

nothing super competitive yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cineplex View Post
    thanks for reply mistral, i'll be sure to check out that article asap.

if the 5gen are really that necessary, I will end up getting them. just keep in mind, this is my first time working with an ev team on a some-what competitive level, but mainly just trying out first with friends.

nothing super competitive yet.
    Follow the Smogon things for EV's and such but don't take it all for Law, the game of Pokemon is a flexible one, try to cover your base weaknesses first in a major buildup of your team.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Follow the Smogon things for EV's and such but don't take it all for Law, the game of Pokemon is a flexible one, try to cover your base weaknesses first in a major buildup of your team.
    Indeed, this anayses are good for an overview what distinct pokemon are capable of and how you could play them, but shouldn't followed mindlessly.
    Some things, like breeding for an certain IV-Combination for an certain Hidden Power Set are just mind-destroying enervating and not so recommendable for building a "real" (offline) Team.

And no the Gen5 sepecies aren't mandatory if you don't like how they look or sound or whatever, you could stay with the older ones without problems. P. ex. Starmie, Zapdos, Snorlax and Gengar are used in the competitive OU-Tier back since Gen1.
    With any new generation the veterans learn some new tricks too. Use what you like, just make sure that your team is balanced.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

I downloaded Pokemon Online and I'm going to be experimenting with different lines I guess.

So much to know, personality, hidden power, items..

Pokemon is so much more complex than people give it credit for -.-

i wish you the best of luck in EV training and competetive gaming if thats what your aiming for, i will just write how my jolteon works,
    he is one of my best sweepers; Timid Jolteon @ Life orb EV train speed and Sp.att. and place the last point in what suits you.
    his moves are; thunder bolt, ghost orb, hidden power grass, substitute (this and hidden power grass may be replaceable).
    altough i am not very pro i have had much succes with this, once again good luck!

thanks!

atm i'm just screwing around with pokemon online..

1-1 :3

Deleted
    Endgame pokemon raiders? oO

Quote Originally Posted by cineplex View Post
    Hey, so I'm going to start up Pokemon Black again, and need some advice on EV training. I read up quite a bit about it back in diamond/pearl, but never got around to creating a team all ev trained.
    For the moment, I'm just wanting suggestions for a strong line. I know lines can get a lot more specific, based around certain types, but this is just an average line.

Listing just pokemon, no items/skills atm, I'd like a strong set up and then I will move onto that.

Here are the 6 pokemon I am thinking of using,

Skarmory
    Milotic
    Jolteon
    Blissey
    Honchkrow
    Alakazam

Please tell me which don't fit, which pokemon would work better where, are my choices dumb? is it not bad?

Keep in mind, these will all be EV trained and capped at 100 so I'm looking for a serious team!

Thank you very much :3
    thats your problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysmic Skyris View Post
    thats your problem.....
    thanks for contribootin

If you want to practice, battle me on pokemon online. Let me know and I can sign in now.

I'm not some major expert though, I don't consider myself bad but I don't consider myself good either. Anyway, I'm sure I'd be able to help you with a little bit and be sort of a "sparring" partner.
    My sig was stolen, if you find it please contact me. Thanks.