Deleted

sheffield utd have just got relegated...hurrah!!!

up the owls!!!

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know anything about English football. But,, what happens to the money the players make when their team is relegated?
    Surely the revenues must be less.
    Last edited by kunah; 2011-05-01 at 12:21 AM.
    Operation Red Wing

Deleted
    utd squandered £20 million+ on new players to try & get promoted back into the premier league, only for 3 yrs later to go down yet again. i imagine they will have a clear out of big wage earners & will have to tighten their belts. where as sheffield wednesday had debts of over £30 million for the past 15 years, had no money to spend on players in most of that time & brought in mostly loan players & free transfers. we now have a new multi million pound owner who has cleared all the debts when buying the club, has a reputation for being a winner & is prepared to spend good money to get this once big club back in the premier league. we also have a very good manager, who used to watch the wednesday from the terraces & used to play for the club. i hope that answers your question & some
    Last edited by mmoc4e24d898ce; 2011-05-02 at 09:33 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    thanks Twisted,
    Always liked that promotion/relegation system you have over there and wondered what happens to TV money and sponsors of a team the gets relegated from the Premier league. Must be rough.

btw, Unrelated to Sheffield United,, Why is Sheffied Wednesday called,,,, "wednesday".

Off Topic.
    Lived over there for a couple of years and one of the things I missed English Football. If Americans could attend a few matches and see how infectiously fun it is,, it would take off like a rocket over here.
    Went to some Wolverhampton matches and a couple of big premier matches at Wembley. Had a f'ing blast. Fans were like life/death intense.
    I need to adopt a club and start following them. I think I can buy Premier leagues coverage packages on cable these days.
    take care
    Last edited by kunah; 2011-05-03 at 02:15 AM.
    Operation Red Wing

Deleted
    np`s, mate. apparently getting into the premier league is worth £80 million+ to the promoted clubs in tv revenue alone. the clubs that get relegated get parachute payments worth 10`s of millions of pounds for a cpl of seasons to help with the loss of revenue for being relegated & a loss of income. which is slightly unfair on the clubs trying to get promoted. clubs outside the premier league get next to nothing in comparison. sheff weds are called wednesday after the cricket club that played their matches on a wednesday founded a football club of the same name. hence the name, sheffield wednesday lol

football is pretty intense over here, your right lol its defo a life or death experience to most passionate fans if your club wins or loses lol im glad you had the chance to experience a few games while you were here. there really is nothing quite like taking in the atmosphere of a good game when the crowds are in full flow. all the best to you & tc also
    Last edited by mmoc4e24d898ce; 2011-05-03 at 07:10 AM.

Deleted

Owls

Nice start to 11-12 season owls, hope you can keep up the good form.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr S View Post
    Nice start to 11-12 season owls, hope you can keep up the good form.
    oh god they get everywhere!

UTB

Deleted
    In reply to kunah, they are called sheffield wednesday because they were formed by shopkeepers who only had wednesday off work.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah-ha!! Thank you Mr S
    Operation Red Wing

Quote Originally Posted by kunah View Post
    Don't know anything about English football. But,, what happens to the money the players make when their team is relegated?
    Surely the revenues must be less.
    There is less money involved in Division 1 than in the premier league, but still quite a bit (far more than the money the Scottish Premier League gets) because of all the advertising and television coverage. The money the players personally recieve relies on how much the team makes, if they're strapped for cash they'll probably have to let some of the big players go or a lot of the mediocre ones and hope the big names can carry them back up (They could potentially sell for quite a bit of money as well on top of not having to pay their fee's)

P.s. if you want life or death intensity, watch any Old Firm match (Celtic Vs Rangers) the latter ones have been pretty intense.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2011-08-12 at 03:17 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    up the owls!!!
    Deep,heartbreaking history in that stadium of yours.

jft96
    Last edited by mmoc4984f07cc4; 2011-08-12 at 06:35 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    There is less money involved in Division 1 than in the premier league, but still quite a bit (far more than the money the Scottish Premier League gets) because of all the advertising and television coverage. The money the players personally recieve relies on how much the team makes, if they're strapped for cash they'll probably have to let some of the big players go or a lot of the mediocre ones and hope the big names can carry them back up (They could potentially sell for quite a bit of money as well on top of not having to pay their fee's)

P.s. if you want life or death intensity, watch any Old Firm match (Celtic Vs Rangers) the latter ones have been pretty intense.
    Thanks. I do like that relegation/promotion system and I wonder if it would work for American sports. Especially colleage sports. It seems to me last year there were just as much excitement/suspense for the bottom 3 EPL teams as the top EPL teams. Wolverhampton fans would probably agree when it comes down to the last match of the season to see if they are relegated.
    Operation Red Wing