Deleted

Melee damage going down when I get new weapons.

Hello, I'm currently leveling a rogue and I'm 82 at the moment.
    I'm leveling as sub and I'm really enjoying it.
    So, I got a new dagger as questreward and i equipped it in my mainhand and i noticed my melee damage got reduced to 1021-1286 from 1318-1520 but my attackpower was increased by about 100 or so.
    Before I got the new dagger I had a heirloom sword equipped in my mainhand with 2.80 speed and now I got 2x daggers with 1.80 speed.
    Should i use the sword in my mainhand even though I will lose 60 agility, and should I also get myself another sword?
    I don't understand this as the dagger upgraded every stat alot except 29 critical rating.
    It's really been bugging me the whole time while leveling because always when I've gotten a new weapon my melee damage has been lowered.

I was waiting for a new dagger for a long time as I was pretty sure my heirloom sword would be bad by now.
    What weapons should I choose, if it melee damage even matters as I get more attackpower from the new dagger.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMTIMf3 View Post
    Hello, I'm currently leveling a rogue and I'm 82 at the moment.
    I'm leveling as sub and I'm really enjoying it.
    So, I got a new dagger as questreward and i equipped it in my mainhand and i noticed my melee damage got reduced to 1021-1286 from 1318-1520 but my attackpower was increased by about 100 or so.
    Before I got the new dagger I had a heirloom sword equipped in my mainhand with 2.80 speed and now I got 2x daggers with 1.80 speed.
    Should i use the sword in my mainhand even though I will lose 60 agility, and should I also get myself another sword?
    I don't understand this as the dagger upgraded every stat alot except 29 critical rating.
    It's really been bugging me the whole time while leveling because always when I've gotten a new weapon my melee damage has been lowered.

I was waiting for a new dagger for a long time as I was pretty sure my heirloom sword would be bad by now.
    What weapons should I choose, if it melee damage even matters as I get more attackpower from the new dagger.
    Fail troll is fail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacu View Post
    Fail troll is fail.
    Troll? Why would I troll?
    It's a question that I hope someone more experienced could answer.

The shown melee damage is per swing.
    You should be able to figure it out yourself, i hope.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

10+ Year Old Account
    slower weps do harder damage. faster weps do less damage but swing faster.

weapon damage is generally more important than +-60 agility or a few stats

just remember the low end weapon damage is just as important as high end for sustained dps

I lol'd Irl, 1/10 ... try harder

But incase of the slightest chance you arent trolling and are genuinely clueless about weapons

Slow hard hitting sword = Slow swings and Hard Hit which in turn = higher melee damage

Fast hitting dagger = Fast swings and Normal Hits which in turn = Lower melee damage

Deleted
    Ok so, for sub you should use daggers.
    You said that the daggers had lower dmg then the sword but since they have faster attack speed their overall dps is higher.
    Try to compare the DPS of the weps rather then dmg (1021-1286 etc).
    As well, your main abilitys in Sub is things like ambush and backstab which gains increased dmg when used with daggers, another reason there.
    Hope this was to any help

Whether or not you're trolling, I'm sure there have been players wondering this as well.

Weapon damage is not imporant; DPS is. To keep say.. a 1.4 weapon speed dagger from being too strong compared to a say.. 2.6 weapon speed sword, the 1.4 speed dagger will be doing less damage per swing, but more DPS. The DPS is what you want to look at though. Generally, the weapon with the highest DPS will be better.

If a 1.4 speed weapon did as much damage as a 2.6 speed weapon, and they were about the same ilvl, then the 1.4 speed weapon would make you do nearly 2x as much damage which is a crazy upgrade that I don't think you'll ever experience unless you either don't upgrade you weapon for like.. 10 levels, or you're 85 and you go from an ilvl 333 or so weapon to like.. an ilvl 372 weapon. Even in the last example though, I don't think you'd be doing literally 2x as much damage.

See what I'm getting at?

I dont understand why people always assume that it's a troll post, some people are new and they try to understand the game.

they should try harder

Deleted
    Alright, thanks alot!
    Only been playing Paladin before which uses 1 weapon for dealing damage, and once a new weapon dropped, I checked if the stats was a upgrade and it was an upgrade in melee damage aswell.
    I guess mixing a slow/fast weapon makes it harder to see if it's an upgrade :P
    I'll start reading more on rogues when I'm level 85, thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimuid View Post
    I dont understand why people always assume that it's a troll post, some people are new and they try to understand the game.
    Because it's hard to believe he leveled to 82 with a sword as subtlety.
    But I guess it's just someone who didn't understand the subtlety-spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Couple that with almost 500 posts and 13 months on MMO-champ, guy has been around a bit. Maybe he only played casters before though

Besides, sub is fine w/o daggers, especially leveling. Backstabbing is a hassle when you're solo grinding and Hemo works with any weapon.
    Last edited by Herrenos; 2011-04-30 at 10:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    > ecause it's hard to believe he leveled to 82 with a sword as subtlety.
    But I guess it's just someone who didn't understand the subtlety-spec. <

Maybe he likes the old way of playing Sub > Hemo

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    There will always be new players, give them a break and stop trolling them.
    Forum trolls are so 2008.

OT:
    You have the answer up there.
    Faster weapons deals lower damage but more often, slower deals higher damage but slower.

And unless you are going combat, you want a 1.8 Speed in your Main Hand and a 1.4 Speed in your Off Hand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    Because it's hard to believe he leveled to 82 with a sword as subtlety.
    But I guess it's just someone who didn't understand the subtlety-spec.
    I did not play with the sword from level 1. I found the sword on my Paladins bank when the rogue was level 70 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrenos View Post
    Couple that with almost 500 posts and 13 months on MMO-champ, guy has been around a bit. Maybe he only played casters before though

Besides, sub is fine w/o daggers, especially leveling. Backstabbing is a hassle when you're solo grinding and Hemo works with any weapon.
    I've been playing a Paladin since I started playing WoW which is somewhere in the middle of WOTLK. I got told I should use a slow weapon and i fast realised all 2h weapons are slow, so I was generally just looking at stats while upgrading my 2h weapon and "forgot" about speed etc since all 2h weapons are slow.

Quote Originally Posted by zetitup View Post
    There will always be new players, give them a break and stop trolling them.
    Forum trolls are so 2008.

OT:
    You have the answer up there.
    Faster weapons deals lower damage but more often, slower deals higher damage but slower.

And unless you are going combat, you want a 1.8 Speed in your Main Hand and a 1.4 Speed in your Off Hand.
    Thank you, I've read through all the posts and my question has been answered!