Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Should I get an Xbox 360 or wait for the Nintendo Stream?

Nintendo has announced that it is releasing it's new next-gen console "Stream" (Wii 2) in either the fourth quarter of this year(2011) or the first quarter of next year(2012). I was planning on buying an Xbox 360 but now I'm hesitant. This new console from Nintendo is said to be significantly more powerful than both the PS3 and Xbox 360 in every single way. It is also targeted at hardcore gamers unlike the Wii, meaning it will be giving us real titles to play on. Considering the graphivs are now in HD and far better than current consoles and the power is phenomenal should I wait for it or just get the Xbox 360? Both Microsoft and Sony don't plan on releasing anything new until 2014.
    Did I mention the Stream even has mini HD screens on it's controllers!!

So the question at hand is do I buy an Xbox 360 now or wait for the new Nintendo Stream?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be hesitant to believe the claims that Nintendo is going to shy away from kiddy games. It was through kids that Nintendo has made its millions, not to mention that the wii made more money than the 360/ps3. I doubt that Nintendo will drop what made them rich just so they will be taken seriously by older gamers, losing all those families/those families' money in the process. Get a 360.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageissues View Post
    I would be hesitant to believe the claims that Nintendo is going to shy away from kiddy games. It was through kids that Nintendo has made its millions, not to mention that the wii made more money than the 360/ps3. I doubt that Nintendo will drop what made them rich just so they will be taken seriously by older gamers, losing all those families/those families' money in the process. Get a 360.
    I don't know. Nintendo is a very, very large company. They could probably support development for games for two consoles. I could honestly see that happening. One console for the more mature games, one console for the kiddies / casuals.

i agree. it would be stupid from a business since to get away from kiddy games since its wht made the money for them on the wii
    *broken sig link*

Until Nintendo proves itself in terms of far more mature titles and solid online play, don't bother. Like the above poster said, get the 360.
    lol casual - Ret masochist since 05

Rullk

I agree about the "kiddy" game thing but.... OP is right. Nintendo DID, in fact, state they wanted to push into the hardcore gamer market... aggressively. They also said they have the funding, research and know-how to do it.

Feel free to Google it, although I'm surprised you hadn't read anything yet, it was headlines everywhere a few days ago.

And I mean... regardless of the system it can always have kid/family friendly games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Elohel View Post
    I don't know. Nintendo is a very, very large company. They could probably support development for games for two consoles. I could honestly see that happening. One console for the more mature games, one console for the kiddies / casuals.
    That's bad business, and it's part of the reason why the PS3 sold so poorly for a few years upon release. Price certainly had something to do with it, but Sony supported the PS2 for the most part up until as late as 2009. I mean you'll still see PS2 games made now, but it's typically only sports titles. Splitting your consoles into 2 markets is just dumb economics.
    lol casual - Ret masochist since 05

Rullk

Why can't a console have games rated E-M? There's no doubt in my mind that It's going to have plenty of third party games and include all the titles that are normally shared between the 360 and PS3. Why would they push the specs so much farther than their last console if they didn't want to market themselves toward the more mature players. a new GTA title is rumored to be a launch title for the system and even show up at E3.

Deleted
    Hey guys I was as surprised as you are. The reason I mentioned it is because the CEO of Nintendo himself said this in a statement to investors. It's questionable as the Wii blew both the PS3 and Xbox 360 out of the water with it's incredible sales. Nonetheless the rumours abut them targeting hardcore gamers instead of casuals are true. Not sure if it's the wisest business decision but that's another discussion.

Check this out:

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/22...ntly-with-wii2

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember the Dreamcast? Yeah... I'll pass on this Nintendo because history has shown they're making a huge mistake.

They're putting out a next gen console now??? Other than their own software, it'll be a waste because 3rd party aren't going to develop for them only... and lose market share.

Then, in 2 years or so, Microsoft and Sony release their own next gen - which will smoke Nintendo's as they'll have time to find even better tech. They'll make the Stream or whatever it's called a 1.5 gen console. Not a true next gen.

If you're a die hard Nintendo fan, sure, go ahead and buy it. Just realize it's doomed.

I could always be wrong, but since both Microsoft and Sony are just now only in the "concept" stage, I don't think I am.

I highly doubt they will drop kiddie games at all, I do not think that is the plan. There plan is to involve them self in more adult themed titles. Which is believeable I mean they had house of the dead and some resident evil shooters. so I can see it coming, plus they also plan to have the next GTA title on there system.

as for the poster, I would go ahead and get a 360, they are only 200 bucks now(get the new slim one) . If you like shooters gears of war 3, or halo, CoD you will like the xbox enough Im sure.

Deleted
    Depends why you want the 360. You could always get both, money permitting

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get a ps3, noob. It does everything

Elysia's epic sig skillz

I would honestly go with the 360 cause you know what to expect out of the console and it already has a nice set of games behind it. I mean Nintendo might be able to try and move toward more adult games but until I see it I won't believe it. And you know that there will always be a new round of shooters or sports games for the 360 until it is eventually replaced.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nobody ever made money for very long by playing it safe, the market is all about risk. Nintendo has shown time and time again that they're willing to take risks, I think the Wii-mote was a huge risk but it panned out. Nintendo has established franchises and an entrenched fan base, but that doesn't mean the company wants to stagnate and put out the same thing with a shiny new coat on it, then they'd shrivel up like Sega.
    Mímir, 100 Night Elf Hunter, Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Yea including, letting people (hackers) steal your informations... i most def want a ps3!!!!

I got a 360, and love it, i was gunna go with the ps3 but all my friends were on xbox live. I like nintendo products, its really all about personal choice, and which ones your friends have. IF you want to play games with em :P
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind that the wii has "Low graphics" Actually they look fine to me. The only thing I really really really hate about the wii is that it doesn't support hdtvs... It only goes to 480p. If the wii went to 720p at the very least my god I would love it to death! But we live in a time where almost every household has an hdtv and hardly any 480i tv's... Would you rather play on a 19 Inch tv that is 480i or a 42 inch flat screen hdtv... I love the wii it just really needs an hdmi port on the back of it. No need for any "High end" console for nintendo. They are working fine right now and has plenty of titles!

Because it's totally, absolutely impossible to make "kiddie-friendly" games while also making "gamer-friendly" games?

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    Remember the Dreamcast? Yeah... I'll pass on this Nintendo because history has shown they're making a huge mistake.

They're putting out a next gen console now??? Other than their own software, it'll be a waste because 3rd party aren't going to develop for them only... and lose market share.

Then, in 2 years or so, Microsoft and Sony release their own next gen - which will smoke Nintendo's as they'll have time to find even better tech. They'll make the Stream or whatever it's called a 1.5 gen console. Not a true next gen.

If you're a die hard Nintendo fan, sure, go ahead and buy it. Just realize it's doomed.

I could always be wrong, but since both Microsoft and Sony are just now only in the "concept" stage, I don't think I am.
    Cool assumptions and opinions stated as facts, bro. Just like the people that are QQing that Firelands will suck, please don't talk about things you know absolutely nothing about, and make all sorts of doom-and-gloom assumptions and state them as if they're facts.

And don't be dissin' the Dreamcast. The only reason it got blown out of the competition is because lots and lots and tons and shitloads of hype were already built up for PS2, as well as Nintendo with the Gamecube and Microsoft hyping up the Xbox.
    Last edited by Vook; 2011-05-01 at 04:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Until Nintendo proves itself in terms of far more mature titles and solid online play, don't bother. Like the above poster said, get the 360.
    I dunno, they have a decent enough collection of M games. However, I'll agree about the online play (not that I could reasonably disagree... only a few games I've played for Wii had decent online).

And somehow only M games = good? I dunno, quite a lot of M titles for each console are very craptastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Except provide a secure network.

On topic though, go with the 360. Let the nintendo console launch and prove itself, then decide if it's worth purchasing.
    Last edited by oplawlz; 2011-05-01 at 04:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.