Thread: Support TukUI!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xionkarl View Post
    That Blizzard employee has clearly never been on the internet before, nor does he possess any kind of reading comprehension. To my knowledge, Erik has never charged anyone for Tukui, not even a premium version.

The only thing offered as far as premium goes is your membership to the "website". Paying or donating for a premium membership to the community does not grant you some form of Premium Tukui.

I'm sure this will get settled when a Blizzard employee who has successfully completed the first grade sees this.

The premium membership is only for the Tukui community website and forums, and has no effect on the UI or it's in-game performance.
    still sound fishy to me, blizz are probably right to stomp out this before tukui start really taking the piss

Deleted
    I didn't even know that there was a premium feature of this UI. Well, it's their own fault for not following the ToS. Usually, if you create an addon and want support you create a "donation button" instead of a "buy a premium account button".

Deleted
    curse premium really cant be compared to tuk ui premium - Curse provide a service for a number of games, the idea being a copyrighted installer for addons, the curse installer thing is outside of wow, i believe can be used for a number of diffrent games - they are providing a service, to promote the latest addons and help people install them - that is their business - Tukui on the other hand is an In game addon - the premium service would not be considered if tukui wasnt being used IN game, blizzard could just make a reskin of tukui in there game and totally kill the business of tukui premium as no one would need to go there - were as they couldnt do this to curse

10+ Year Old Account
    to the best of my knowledge, the initial addon for Tuk UI is still free. the Tuk UI premium, does not influence blizzards products.
    hence they are not making any profit off of blizzard merchandise.

meaning whatever blizz employee feels just to try and stop them from developing free of charge can take his/her hogwash in court and lose.
    Last edited by The_Butcher; 2011-05-01 at 08:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    How hard it maybe seems ...
    charge for services related to the add-on,

That small line immediately makes what erik is doing illegal. He is allowed to ask for donations but he cant give people anything in return for it. So if people donate they should not get a higher rank on his site/ premiun services.
    It is maybe harsh for some people but blizzard is completely right with this email.

On the note from people saying curse premiun is illegal to no no it is not. The reason being that the thing curse premiun provides has nothing to do with blizzard they provide a outside program to help you install addons. This has no ties with anything from blizzard. And because of that doesnt have to listen to the rules from blizzard.

And i just read http://www.tukui.org/premium.php this is extremely illegal in blizzard's eyes trying to get people to pay a monthly subscription i guess that was the reason for blizzard to step in and say ..... oh no you dont.
    Last edited by schippie; 2011-05-01 at 09:08 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schippie View Post
    That small line immediately makes what erik is doing illegal. He is allowed to ask for donations but he cant give people anything in return for it. So if people donate they should not get a higher rank on his site.
    He can charge them for a higher rank on his site or offer other premium services not related to the game or add-ons. But he can't charge people money for a premium membership that in turn gets them a more up-to-date version of the UI. The pre-release versions of the UI have to be made available free of charge to whoever he decides to offer them to. He's free to pick and choose who gets it as long as they get it for free.

It really should not be so hard concept to understand for people defending TukUI and Tukz on this:

- Playing in beta/PTR is considered to be mandatory part of high end raiding currently, therefore
    - Having working addons in beta/PTR is mandatory to be able to play in the same way as you're used to, and so
    - Paying to have addons that work in beta/PTR is a strict no-no.

Also, if PTR version of the addon works from day one and the final release comes out even one minute after the realms are up, the person who has the PTR version has a better paid-for version of the addon. Or in some cases if you didn't pay, the addon will not work at all. 4.1 is a good example where many addons blew up because of last minute change, and without setting Curse Client to download alpha/beta quality addons (which would be paid for in case of TukUI) you wouldn't have working addons at all.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    couldnt he just call his "premium" membership thing something else and rewrite the features you gain?

not like that would take long time

Deleted
    Tuk UI is super awesome!

On patch days my friends are always complaining about addon malfunctions, i always tell them to get TukUI because its updated so often!

I hope Tuk UI lives as long as WoW does <3

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    you have the support of me and my entire guild.. most of us use tukui for our interface, none of us have EVER been charged for the use of the add-on... Blizzard need to pull there head out of there ass and atcually look at what people like Tukui are doing and sort out their own shitty interface.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a completely free addon that only mentions a fee if you want to pay to keep something like the website and forums going.

Don't see how a domain and hosting fee would be seen as bad...

As previously stated, by that note, Curse members who pay for 'premium' services, ie. allowing them to download more than 2 addons at once through the curse client (well, it's "related" to the addons after all!) should be banned.

Both are stupid reasoning, both should be disregarded.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

Quote Originally Posted by Fierae View Post
    It's a completely free addon that only mentions a fee if you want to pay to keep something like the website and forums going.

Don't see how a domain and hosting fee would be seen as bad...

As previously stated, by that note, Curse members who pay for 'premium' services, ie. allowing them to download more than 2 addons at once through the curse client (well, it's "related" to the addons after all!) should be banned.

Both are stupid reasoning, both should be disregarded.
    yes its a free addon. but only premium users got access to the beta and thats whats causing blizzard to say no.

I do admit that it has been sometime since I have played WoW, and therefore actually been on the Tukui website. I was assuming premium account = donor account.

I see now that he has actually created a premium membership. Although all he has to do is either allow access to beta/ptr versions for everyone, or don't give anyone access at all, and he will be back in line with the ToS.
    Mike Morheim: Rift is totally gonna fail
    Ghostcrawler: Yeah good thing we made healing harder!
    Metzen: Guys, what soul should I get to go with Paladin and Beastmaster?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhh an honest mistake that gets blown out of proportion by the community. It would be funny if this didn't happen every time blizzard did so much as blink. It will get cleared up. If not oh well these things happen. I'm sure 90% of people up in arms over this will continue to play and will just get a different add-on pack in the future.

EDIT: Also I don't use this UI so I can't say but if it has so much as a link back to his website it can be considered soliciting. They had all add-on developers take out donation buttons from their UIs ages ago.
    Last edited by Pshaw; 2011-05-01 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Sounds like a slight misunderstanding.

Hopefully it gets fixed so everyone can get on with their lives.
    Indeed, sounds like a misunderstanding. I'd be amazed if it was anything but.

People need to actually read the thread before replying.

Premium membership for Tuk UI allows you exclusive access to beta/PTR versions of the addon. This is what Blizzard are against. If it was purely a forum thing, I doubt they would care (look at Curse). He'll have to change this, it's really that simple.
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aestu View Post
    Personally I think Blizzard's real motive here is to completely disassociate revenue from mod creation (forcing website admins and mod programmers to bear any and all costs, however great) so Blizzard can appropriate the concepts and code if and when they feel like it without being sued for violating intellectual property rights or causing legally actionable financial damage.

---------- Post added 2011-05-01 at 02:35 PM ----------

People keep saying it was an "honest misunderstanding" or an "honest mistake". How do we know that?

You do realize Blizzard is a business out to make money? What, you all think businesses always play fair?
    blizzard are the ones playing fair - they have said people can make addons but cannot charge - ie profit from them
    this tukui guy is trying to make a quick buck from selling a diffrent user interface - one that blizzard could implement free of charge if they wanted - its not right that someone can make money from a simple reskin - blizzard will not allow this and neither would anyone here

its like if you own a house and you pay the bills, but then someone puts a sign outside the downstairs toilet saying £3 per use - it cant be done

its the law,

Quote Originally Posted by Caylis View Post
    you have the support of me and my entire guild.. most of us use tukui for our interface, none of us have EVER been charged for the use of the add-on... Blizzard need to pull there head out of there ass and atcually look at what people like Tukui are doing and sort out their own shitty interface.
    Have you actually bothered to read this thread?

TukUI offering a premium service for forum access and other benefits is not the problem.

The problem is that they are charging people to get the PTR updated versions in order to use it.

@people bitching about Blizzard taking action against TuKUI and other addon developers, use your freaking brains and stop being stupid.
    A legal team would handle this, not the game development team.
    Sonics - Argent Dawn EU
    Mahurum - Argent Dawn EU

Quote Originally Posted by Aestu View Post
    Curse Premium:

Blizzard is being a bully because Curse is part of ZAM and has the resources to defend itself and Tuk doesn't.
    Except a Tuk UI membership gives you exclusive access to beta / PTR versions. You don't get access to any new addons with a Curse subscription, just a couple of website features. Curse premium members can't download any addon that I can't as a free member. Stop comparing apples to oranges.
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.