Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    I wish I could go back in time and not say that damn thing every day. We need to get together as a nation and fix the thing. It cant be that hard to return it to its original state.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

I like the pledge. Maybe you don't have to do it every day, but lets say do it every Monday or something.

---------- Post added 2011-05-02 at 10:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bugzilla3 View Post
    I say it because I am proud to be an American! Also, you're welcome for our soldiers killing all those terrorists for you guys!
    It's not only Americans whos killing terrorists you know. There are a lot of other countries with you in Afghanistan, Iraq and now Libya. I for example has been in Afghanistan and I'm no American.

10+ Year Old Account
    Such things are and will become significantly more trivial and useless as , lets say, country wide borders and entities are being replaced with continental and , perhaps in the distant future, world wide ones. You'll be pledging yourself to mother earth instead of USA.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only pledge i have ever done was during army day where they do tests to see if your fit for armed forces then sent you home with reserve status. Never swore to my country's flag since then

Quote Originally Posted by Slutty View Post
    Be glad you weren't born in Mexico.
    Believe me i am, but not because of that.

mostly because its barely a second world country.

we said the pledge only in kindergarten and elementary school but that was like 20 yrs ago lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

10+ Year Old Account
    My old school didn't say the pledge due parents complaining about it.
    My new school does. It shows respect to your country, but it should not be enforced. It's basically like Religion in school, shouldn't be enforced. Well, that's what the reason why we don't stand/say the pledge at my old school heh.

I said in an Elementry School. I'm not sure precisely when we stopped, but I distinctly remember not doing it in High School. People that didn't want to recite the pledge were permitted to simply sit there quietly.

I can definitely see why an outsider would find it rather creepy, but the truth is it was mostly something to say and was rarely taken seriously. Plus it was something based more in patriotism rather then nationalism. So if British people can rally around the Monarch regardless of political affiliation, Americans should be able to rally around the Flag and the general idea of America in much the same manner.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Negrido View Post
    I wish I could go back in time and not say that damn thing every day. We need to get together as a nation and fix the thing. It cant be that hard to return it to its original state.
    You mean mass resurrect the natives and give them their land back? Why must we get together as a nation to remove it? If we could get together as a nation we wouldn't need the pledge...

AM I the only one here who takes pride in saying the pledge? Damn, this is crazy. Since when did patriotism become "un-cool?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pos View Post
    WoW is my shameful secret. Like a mistress. or a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruul View Post
    My question is, what happened if you didnt want to stand and take a forced pledge? cause i know if i was a kid taken to live in america i absolutely would of refused to pledge my loyalty to some country
    Nothing. At least not in any school I ever went to. I don't recall it being done after grade school. And I went to school in the south, so it's not like I was in some liberal section of the country by any means.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruul View Post
    America being america. Aussies have the national anthem but usually only sung during assemblies / memorials things like that. That pledge of allegiance thing seems so brainwashy to me its kinda scary.
    Yep. Feels scary.

10+ Year Old Account
    I swear to god, I thought I saw this topic on the escapist just last week...
    "Come, face me! Give in to your Pride! Show me your Greatness!"

mfw every day | Nujabes - Horizon