Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Fraps, SSDs, WoW, and HDDs.

So I wanted to know about something, perhaps get some advice from more experienced people.
    Obviously we all know that Fraps can be hard on HDDs, especially if you have WoW on an HDD. I was wondering, what if you have WoW on an SSD, and then fraps onto that SSD. How would that work? Would it be better quality and affect frames in WoW less?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

there is no SSD big enough to use fraps with. Fraps recordings are huge. It's best to record to a second HD but having wow on an SSD is fine and wont do anything but lower your loading times.

15+ Year Old Account
    The impact from frame capture is usually a matter of CPU power, rather than drive slowness. Also, SSDs aren't really at a point where they're cost effective for storing raw video capture. It would be much more cost effective to RAID0 a few 500GB WD Caviar Blacks or F3 Spinpoints.

You aren't going to be able to fraps anything of good quality that's longer than ten minutes onto an SSD.

Agreed on all this. Except I'd put a couple 1TB Spinpoint F3s or WD Caviar Blacks in RAID0. But if you have the money, a couple 600GB WD VelociRaptors in RAID0 would be the absolute best in performance with Fraps file sizes and the subsequent editing involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by epec View Post
    there is no SSD big enough to use fraps with. Fraps recordings are huge. It's best to record to a second HD but having wow on an SSD is fine and wont do anything but lower your loading times.
    First of all, this is a load of BS. There are SSDs out there, while extremely expensive, that are bigger than enough for WoW video capturing. Trust me. You want a 1TB SSD? There's one out there. There's many.

The way I would do it, is lets say record a raid for a few minutes, oh we wipe, I instantly delete all the files to keep space open. So say I had a 400~ gb SSD. I could easily record in 60fps for several minutes and not fill it up. Now unless you're recording in some insane resolution, then what you said here is mostly BS. Using an SSD would simply be for the first stages, film, go in and edit, then save to HDD. Delete all off SSD. Boom, empty again.

---------- Post added 2011-05-02 at 02:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    The impact from frame capture is usually a matter of CPU power, rather than drive slowness. Also, SSDs aren't really at a point where they're cost effective for storing raw video capture. It would be much more cost effective to RAID0 a few 500GB WD Caviar Blacks or F3 Spinpoints.
    I just figured it would be less painful on the HDDs to do the immediate filming with an SSD. I know it's not cost effective, at least for most people, including myself, I'm just seeing what others thought about for this. Like, how much better the computer would run doing this with an SSD instead of an HDD. Right now I have WoW on one a WD Caviar Blue and fraps onto a Barracuda 1TB.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    First of all, this is a load of BS. There are SSDs out there, while extremely expensive, that are bigger than enough for WoW video capturing. Trust me. You want a 1TB SSD? There's one out there. There's many.
    OCZ Vertex 2 2.5" 400gb SSD - $1,849.00

That's real practical

Quote Originally Posted by Lolhand View Post

That's real practical
    He never said it was practical. Just said that they're there and they exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolhand View Post

That's real practical
    Yes because everyone records 400gb of fraps videos every time they fraps, right? And seriously, what would the point be in recording in 60 fps anyways? Youtube supports up to 29.97. That's a shit ton smaller file.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227530
    Buy two of these, 200gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs. $400. You could also RAID0 them.

There ya go, 400gb of SSD storage for less than half of that 400gb SSD.
    "A flower.

A good CPU (Core i5 760 or better) + 2x Caviar Black (Not in Raid) , you install WoW on HDD1 and record on HDD2, thats it (And obviously a good GPU so you dont record low detail graphic =P). Its totally enough to record any modern game, you dont need anything like a RAID setup or a SSD, you dont even need 2x caviar black , two 16/32mb cache HDD would be fine.

http://www.directcanada.com/products...anufacture=OCZ

Heres your 1TB SSD By the way!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    A good CPU (Core i5 760 or better) + 2x Caviar Black (Not in Raid) , you install WoW on HDD1 and record on HDD2, thats it (And obviously a good GPU so you dont record low detail graphic =P). Its totally enough to record any modern game, you dont need anything like a RAID setup or a SSD, you dont even need 2x caviar black , two 16/32mb cache HDD would be fine.

http://www.directcanada.com/products...anufacture=OCZ

Heres your 1TB SSD By the way!!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-517-_-Product

lol :P
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

yea but mine cost almost 2 time less and is in STOCK! =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    yea but mine cost almost 2 time less and is in STOCK! =P
    That ones 7x faster though lol
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148444
    1 grand for 512gig SSD don't know if I would buy it just for fraps thou. I would just get a 1tb raid for fraps like everybody else is saying.

Deleted
    Bear in mind, people have been making video game movies for over a decade.

Yes, fraps eats a lot of storage space, but it's not super-demanding in any other way. Recoding anything above 30 fps is a waste anyway and youtubes 1080 dpi doesn't really do it justice. 720 dps is just fine in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Bear in mind, people have been making video game movies for over a decade.

Yes, fraps eats a lot of storage space, but it's not super-demanding in any other way. Recoding anything above 30 fps is a waste anyway and youtubes 1080 dpi doesn't really do it justice. 720 dps is just fine in most cases.
    but dude , ppl were not recording in 1080p 10 years ago ... it was 800x600

10+ Year Old Account
    So I just recorded 1680x1050 29.97 fps... for 10:22 minutes.

A whopping 21.30 GB. So how much bigger would a 1920x1080 29.97 be? Anyone care to go play WoW for 10 minutes and record at those settings? (My monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050, can't do 1080p)
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't have the time right now, but it should be the same as the scaling rate of the resolution (assuming no audio capture). 1080p is 21.22% larger than 1680x1050, which comes out to a rough file size of 25.8GB.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd imagine 24-26GB for 1080p over 1680x1050.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it wouldn't hurt for some people to use an SSD, depending on how much they record and how quickly they can get to editing it and saving the finalized video to an HDD afterwards.
    "A flower.