Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Played the game for the longest time.. then the guild died and i stopped. Picked it back up recently been farming a lot of raptors. Its kept my attention for more than a week, which is pretty hard to do.

And the girl in the red cape blamed me for everything.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    urr, tried trial... naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I'll better wait for GW2
    World of Warcraft wiki
    http://wowwiki.com
    World of Warcraft database
    http://thottbot.comhttp://wowhead.comhttp://wow.allakhazam.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    I don't recommend spending money on Guild Wars, especially several years after the devs stopped giving a shit (and even when they gave a shit they were... well, Gaile's talk page has always been a great laugh), but if you insist on it, get all the campaigns and the expansion. If you don't get Prophesies, you don't get a bunch of good skills; if you don't get Factions, you miss out on two broken professions; if you don't get Nightfall, you don't get two broken professions, a ton of broken skills, or the majority of the heroes; if you don't get Eye of the North, you don't get the closest thing they have to PvE content.

By the way, that little girl with the flute and the red cape? Stay the fuck away, she'll light you on fire and giggle.
    actually lately they have started adding quite a lot of new, challenging pve content. And there are still balance updates.

IMO, if you want to play it, try to buy a cheap all-in-one pack. any of the 3 main games is worth a lot more than it actually costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    No, and there's a very good reason for that.
    I left the game for a long time as well. I came back to a great surprise: two new end-game campaigns and several humongous balance patches. They completely renovated the Dervish about a month and a half ago. The two new end-game mission sets are quite challenging and boast a lot of new content: daily quests, new minis, and new prestige weapons, and even a new hero.

I encourage you to take a look at it if you've still got the game installed. It really took me by surprise.

I was thinking about that a lot, I have Nightfall on the shelf, but I bought it while I was still in the throes of WoW.
    So now I've cancelled both WoW accounts, and have been trying Rift which I basically like but it's so similar to WoW already...kinda torn between Eve, or waiting for GW2....
    -Styopa

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by styopa View Post
    I was thinking about that a lot, I have Nightfall on the shelf, but I bought it while I was still in the throes of WoW.
    So now I've cancelled both WoW accounts, and have been trying Rift which I basically like but it's so similar to WoW already...kinda torn between Eve, or waiting for GW2....
    Rift is pretty much a straight wow clone when it comes to visuals, a few skills, and talents.

Eve's pretty alright. I enjoyed playing my 2 week trial of it, but if you've got nightfall, I suggest you at least try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    I left the game for a long time as well. I came back to a great surprise: two new end-game campaigns and several humongous balance patches. They completely renovated the Dervish about a month and a half ago. The two new end-game mission sets are quite challenging and boast a lot of new content: daily quests, new minis, and new prestige weapons, and even a new hero.

I encourage you to take a look at it if you've still got the game installed. It really took me by surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    actually lately they have started adding quite a lot of new, challenging pve content. And there are still balance updates.
    If you mean WiK and HotN when you say "challenging pve content", you must not know how to play GW PvE. When you can agro almost everything in temple of tolerance and not die because paragons are so fucking broken (and have been for several years), there's a problem.

There's skill updates, I'll grant you, but I debate your point that they are "balance" updates. The mesmer and dervish updates both show that the tiny GW live team can't get out quality balance updates, and all the skill tweaks they've made in between those updates shows they really just don't know what they're doing (adding a recharge to "Coward!" instead of making it scale with strength? Barbed Signet in general? Changes to essentially balanced skills such as Crippling Shot? Seriously?) and, worse yet, aren't willing to look over the feedback section of the wiki at all. It just... irks me... that people like Wyn, Poke, and Erasculio spent so much time getting the feedback namespace set up, and they've done absolutely nothing with it ever. Yes, most of the suggestions are bad, but there are a lot of people who know what they're talking about, and even a few that are on giant "balancing crusades", intent on writing up suggestions to rebalance every skill for PvP. (I've quit mine, but Raine's is still going strong, and there's probably a few other people that've started since I stopped caring enough about the game.) It's not hard to know who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't, either, if you're on the wiki for a while - they make themselves known on the staff talk pages all the time.

I also take issue with the ridiculous number of bugs that make their way into the game. I don't care if you only have four people on the live team; you have a test krewe, regardless of previous NDA issues that have come up, so use it to not let major bugs like "we can't pick up the flag" or "body blow inflicts deep wound at 0 strength" or the infamous "BUH resurrects everything ever!".

There's a huge problem with their inability to admit their own failures. The dervish and mesmer updates were essentially large buffs to two classes that really didn't need them. Instead of saying "hey, we messed up, we need to tone all this down", they insist on tweaking a few skills at a time and pretending it's solving anything. What they don't realize is that the game's had power creep problems since Factions, and major ones since Nightfall. Until they admit that they've screwed up the point of balance, that melee does too much damage, that casters shouldn't be able to do 100+ aoe armor ignoring damage while removing enchantments (verses health pools of ~600), that everyone who's not melee is far too good at preventing melee from doing anything (which leads to an incredibly frustrating play experience as you can't build up adrenaline, and then if you finally do you waste it - the shorthand for this is CRIPPLE GUST BLIND BLURRED GUST OH I HIT EVISCERATE GUARDIAN), that removing heroes from PvP was a good idea but adding in henchmen with equally broken builds is a problem, that PvE-only skills are, and have been far beyond the level of broken one would expect from a game based on skill, and that hard mode has never been properly designed, the game isn't going to get my money.

Mercenary heroes were a good idea, but I'm not willing to pay for them (I compensate by knowing people who've spent over a hundred dollars on microtransactions, so the median is maintained).

The worst part is, even if they did manage to fix up the game to be fun, interesting, and most importantly balanced, everyone's gone - I don't think any of the guilds that legitly got gold capes play anymore, [iQ] and its smurfs have finally disbanded, EvIL's reform failed hard, and everyone else who knew anything about anything has quit by now. ANet can't afford world championship tournaments anymore (where was GWNC? Where was EotNWC? GWFC was pretty amazing for its time, even if in hindsight it was just foreshadowing of all the problems we'd start to face), and the community's degraded into hexes on jade, no-elites PvErs, and people who think <title> proves something.

And that's why I don't think you should spend money on GW. If you have a friend that'll let you use their account, give it a shot - GW appeals to new players anyway, for the most part, so if you can get the play without any (or at least much) of the investment, you're golden.
    Last edited by Armond; 2011-05-02 at 09:55 PM.

Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 will not require you to pay a subscription fee.