Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Mechagnome Gecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Emerald Dream
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Blind faith in big companies is just as criminal as the information theft to customer security.

    Where there's smoke there's fire.
    I couldn't agree more, and I expect some kind of rebuttal from Remilla about your post. He/She obviously is a Sony employee. Sony deserves what they get from this fiasco (I used to be a huge Sony fan, but not any more).

    Edit: wow, he/she already posted a rebuttal...

  2. #22
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    1,357
    yes he or she is a shill, the join date the defensive attitude either that or a really hardcore fanboy. Don't think there's much doubt about that, reason i'm not going to push ahead further in this

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    I couldn't agree more, and I expect some kind of rebuttal from Remilla about your post. He/She obviously is a Sony employee. Sony deserves what they get from this fiasco (I used to be a huge Sony fan, but not any more).

    Edit: wow, he/she already posted a rebuttal...
    Don't be foolish. The leap from Remilla disagreeing with your viewpoint and speaking in favor of Sony, and Remilla being a Sony employee, is a large and illogical one. Claiming such a thing makes you appear ignorant and irrelevant.

    As to Sony deserving what they get, and any praise being given to the hacker responsible, try to keep in mind all the customers who are being frustrated and inconvenienced by this. There's nothing praiseworthy about punishing consumers to stick it to a company, even less so if the hacking is motivated by greed rather then a desire to make a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyce09

    Do yourself a favor and don't comment. You are perpetuating what you seem to hate the most on this forum.
    Another post:* Cause Dyce asked me not to.

  4. #24
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    聖ミカエル女子学園
    Posts
    7,085
    For those people who keep bothering about fanboy, stop. I for one am very interested in cyber security. Why I like doing research on these types of things. It is not an easy field as once you look at how many types of attacks there are, there are so many things that can happen. Protecting yourself against every of them is not easy if you're still trying to provide a service. Easiest protection is just not even having that cable connected to the wall.

    One thing I learned about this. Transactions itself can be used as a tool to hack, and securing transaction itself is already hard due to the sheer nature of a transaction. (I don't mean encryption)

    If you're paranoid, install Linux and lock it down nice and tight.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    For those people who keep bothering about fanboy, stop. I for one am very interested in cyber security. Why I like doing research on these types of things. It is not an easy field as once you look at how many types of attacks there are, there are so many things that can happen. Protecting yourself against every of them is not easy if you're still trying to provide a service. Easiest protection is just not even having that cable connected to the wall.

    One thing I learned about this. Transactions itself can be used as a tool to hack, and securing transaction itself is already hard due to the sheer nature of a transaction. (I don't mean encryption)

    If you're paranoid, install Linux and lock it down nice and tight.
    There's one easy way around this. Don't piss random people off. Even if you're a huge corporation there's a chance that one guy you told to go fuck himself will fuck you instead until you will lose everything. Sony crossed the line when they demanded everyone's IP's. The guy who does this deserves a medal and Sony deserves to just die, in painful and expensive lawsuits.

  6. #26
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    聖ミカエル女子学園
    Posts
    7,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtrans View Post
    There's one easy way around this. Don't piss random people off. Even if you're a huge corporation there's a chance that one guy you told to go fuck himself will fuck you instead until you will lose everything. Sony crossed the line when they demanded everyone's IP's. The guy who does this deserves a medal and Sony deserves to just die, in painful and expensive lawsuits.
    Obtaining IP was crossing the line. I don't so mind going after him, but the IP obtaining wasn't called for.

    As for Sony deserves to just die, in the international commerce is not a good idea. People talk about "cause and effect" theres cause effect and result. Don't forget the last one.

    I don't mind if you hate Sony, but just don't wish destruction of the economy.

  7. #27
    The Lightbringer Eightace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtrans View Post
    There's one easy way around this. Don't piss random people off. Even if you're a huge corporation there's a chance that one guy you told to go fuck himself will fuck you instead until you will lose everything. Sony crossed the line when they demanded everyone's IP's. The guy who does this deserves a medal and Sony deserves to just die, in painful and expensive lawsuits.
    He does not deserve a medal, he screwed with millions of peoples entertainment. Who is he to decide that for me? I would break his legs given a chance.

  8. #28
    Large corporations like this generally have people working for them that spot and flag security problems. Sometimes those issues are dealt with, sometimes they are not. A company will make a decision to fix a problem based on three things: how much it costs them to fix it, how likely a breach of security is and how much the fallout will cost them if the breach happens. If the likelihood and the cost of the breach are not high enough, or the cost to fix is ridiculously high compared to them, they won't do shit.

    Sony didn't do shit, and on the big wheel of life, their number came up. Now they have to pay.

    I don't like Sony, so I'm glad they're being kicked in the balls. They deserve this, and they needed taking down a few pegs.

    The real problem now is that unless the management that swept the problem under the carpet is found culpable, the people at fault won't actually get punished.

  9. #29
    The Patient Docdruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lisboa, Portugal
    Posts
    272
    This companies forget a very simple fact... The Internet is alive and very hard to domesticate.
    This hackers groups are the reason we still have some freedom over the web, trying to take them out will be a bit like when England tried to take out the Forefathers, it will be messy.
    If I was in charge of let's say a Security service like NSA, I would try all my best to keep the Web as free as possible, while developing tools to access any one computer, see free webs will make you less paranoid and more willing to share info over it. Many companies bitch because their movie was shared over the web, so 100k ppl that would most likely never go to the movies anyway saw it and the other 100k will go see it in the movies anyway, because let's face it it's much better to watch it at a movie theater, what they don't realize is bad guys, terrorists, pedophiles they use the web as well, keep it free and it will be much easier to police it, it amazes me how all this smart people haven't figure this out already...
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."~Evelyn Beatrice Hall
    "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you to their level and beat you with experience." ~Anonymous

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •