Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Is there a skin thick enough for tanking?

Hi I've got two simple questions.

The first one is in the thread title, the second one is simple. Why, why oh why do dps feel the need to ninja-pull mobs?!?! I don't care how imba, leet or whatever word you use to describe your 'epeen', you are, if you are queued as a dps, please let the tank do the pulling. Doesn't matter if you Trick or MD on me as tank. If I want that I'll let you know.

I did a LFD run last night on my warrior tank(lvl 72). Sure its "old" content and whatnot, but not all in the group are gogogogo crazy people.
    I got this dps who after ninja-pulling the first 3-4 packs of mobs, AFTER I tell ppl to let me pull so I can get initial aggro, starts a rant on how ppl can be so bad at playing this game so slow. I mean if you want to kill things quickly and alone, just skip the LFD and go grind some mobs.

Now some may say, get a guild. Well, how about those crazy speedy ninja pulling dps'ers get a guild too and do some crazy fast dungeons with their friends instead of bashing ppl in LFD?

I'll take the 30 minute LFD lock anyday than listening to kids rage. Which leads me back to my thread title. I got a pally, dk and druid tank in the range 83-85. I've tanked up to LK in wrath so I consider myself to have quite a thick skin. But I am currently starting to think that there isn't a skin thick enough out there. Do you?

Of course, you simply only have to care about getting the job done and be good enough to overcome the obstacles created by grouping with bad players. Tanking is in a league of its own, its a task non tanks could ever understand and it's a thankless job. However you're an integral part of any group and the better you are, the better the odds of its success regardless of how bad the company is that you keep.

I have a theory about this.

World of Proccraft

It feels so crappy to let a short term proc go to waste. This is why i chain pull errthing

Deleted
    I had a thing like this yesterday in stonecore on my priest. Mage got bored after a while because the tank wasn't doing anything, so he pulled 3 groups and left thinking he'd be the winner. Funnily enough, we ended up with a lot of XP after that pull :P. Anyway, the best thing to do it just tell them that you're going to pull at your own pace? other than that, nothing can be done as they're just playing how they want to play. If they don't like it, sit back and enjoy the free xp as they struggle to kill the mobs? :P

Some tanks really are too slow for this game, especially on the lower content where you can steamroll through it. Also a lot of tanks seem to be control freaks, I've had multiple instances where the tank would refuse to go any further because my dots where causing them to lose agroe.
    It would seem that them having to hit their taunt button/buttons is somehow hurting their ego.

Also a "clever" tank knows that after you kill the first boss your free to leave and won't suffer from the 30min lockout.
    Last edited by Chronius; 2011-05-02 at 11:51 AM.

Well, I just rejoined after 4-5 months. So I'm leveling a new healing priest. If someone acts like that. I stop healing them. When they die, they'll yell at me, and then they'll be kicked. Best advice I can give you. Just become buddys with the healer. Ask him not to heal. I also had 2 tanks and this has always worked unless they're the dps's friend. If that's the case. Guess what. You're a tank. Just leave and re-queue

Just think of it as giving lower dungeons a heroic mode with out better loot. Players just add an extra challenge to the game to test your skills.

Deleted
    Pull faster. if the dps are pulling for you, you're doing it too slow.

and if you don't find yourself comftable doing that, when will you ever get without trying.

When I am tanking (which I always am since I only play tanks) I pull so fast that there is no time for someone else to pull. If I see that my healer struggles with his mana, I slow down or take a short break. If someone else intentionally pulls while my healer is drinking or I am waiting for a certain event or a patrolling mob, I ask them friendly to stop it. I do this by whispering them directly and not in the party chat. If they go on pulling, they get kicked from my group.

Sometimes they create a new char on my server just to tell me that I am a stupid asshole who does not know how to play the game. I do not care, because for every single idiot there are ten people who thank me for tanking/leading the group.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it, if dps have time to pull mobs ahead of you it only means you're pulling too slow, step up the speed and problem solved?

Everything below lvl 85 heroics is an aoe grind fest, the only job you have as a tank is to make sure your group gets through them as soon as possible, that means pulling as many mobs as you can tank and keep aggro on, when they're almost dead you pull the next pack and so on. Do not EVER stop unless your healer specifically tells you that he needs a mana break (good healers won't need breaks but bad healers will).

A lof of tanks in lowbie instances have far too little speed on, you want to keep the dps occupied at all times, that means no one has time to whine and the dungeon gets done fast = everyone's happy.

i'd rather have my tanks pulling things too slowly then too quickly, as i've had a few go a little too fast and pull with an oom healer. that never ends well.
    also, when i tank, if a dps pulls something i make them tank it. they learn pretty quick that its not all that good of an idea.
    insanity: less expensive then drugs, and much more fun!

My friends macro says " We are here to help those that need it. I will be pulling at my own pace, if you do not have patience, then you are free to leave now." He's the tank, I am the healer, and my brother is the hunter. This ensures no vote-kicks. The reason we do this? Well, that's simple. We are nice people. We help those that have low dps/don't understand boss mechanics/etc. If they don't want to be taught or just act like an ass, we have the numbers in our favor for vote-kicks. We still have yet to see anyone leave the group after we have already started. We have also seen quite a few people leave after we show the macro. The three of us have made it our mission to try and educate those that wish to learn. If people can't get with that, there are a ton of really bad tanks and healers available to them.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Quote Originally Posted by superbattler View Post
    also, when i tank, if a dps pulls something i make them tank it. they learn pretty quick that its not all that good of an idea.
    Oh this so much.

Deleted
    Well, my new Dwarf is going to get Tanking too as a main spec starting from level 60, and I have no doubt that things like this will happen...
    For that though, I have a simple rule: The one who pulls is the one who tanks. If a DPS player decides to pull a pack, just stand in a corner and wait for him and any people dumb enough to try and help him to die.
    They may rage at you, may leave the group, or may kick you from the group -- But who cares? You're a Tank, so you'll have a new group in a matter of minutes, with hopefully less idiotic people. Or, you may get lucky, and the DPS actually learns his lesson.

Like a Dutch saying goes, "Wie niet luisteren wil, moet maar voelen". He who won't listen will have to feel instead.

Let the DPS die. Tell the healer to stop healing. Refuse to pull any more and let the group kick you. You have lots of options.

As much as tanks aren't a special flower in this game, neither are DPS. If the DPS player thinks they're uber enough to solo the instance, let them. No skin off your back.

tl;dr Welcome to life. People are doucehbags. If you can't handle the ignorant masses and their attitudes, don't play a multiplayer game.

Quote Originally Posted by superbattler View Post
    This, this a thousand times.
    I also had the most fun tanking guild group experience when ZA first hit live, one of our guild boomkins kept pulling threat on every, single, pack of trash. He must have died about 15 times in that dungeon He also got jumped by the invisible cat packs even when we told him they would probably be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    A lof of tanks in lowbie instances have far too little speed on, you want to keep the dps occupied at all times, that means no one has time to whine and the dungeon gets done fast = everyone's happy.
    Why is it the tank's job to keep the DPS occupied/entertained? You make DPS sound like mentally handicapped children that can't be allowed a single moment of downtime lest they start eating paste and paint chips.

10+ Year Old Account
    dps sit in queue for 20min... of course they want to go quickly, stop wasting their time because you want to treat trash like it is difficult.

When I tank I pretty much chain pull, if the healer needs mana I stop, if a DPS pulls ahead then I dont do anything until they die. Then I'll get the aggro, hoping they've learnt their lesson

Quote Originally Posted by Lansow View Post
    Why is it the tank's job to keep the DPS occupied/entertained? You make DPS sound like mentally handicapped children that can't be allowed a single moment of downtime lest they start eating paste and paint chips.
    Tempted to say that oftentimes this is the case. I've had DPS that I've been absolutely 100% sure need to be referred to doctors clinics for ADHD.