Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    California is pretty liberal, so you shouldn't be too bad, atleast your not going to school in one of the southern states. Your accent won't be a major indicator of how well you do in high school. The high schools in the U.S., like every other countrys' high schools are pretty much the same social hierarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    California is pretty liberal, so you shouldn't be too bad, atleast your not going to school in one of the southern states. Your accent won't be a major indicator of how well you do in high school. The high schools in the U.S., like every other countrys' high schools are pretty much the same social hierarchy.
    Generalizing much. The south was like that back in the 1800s. But Texans could careless if people have an accent or not. Heaven forbid, San Antonio has a HUGE racial demographic. Anywhere in the US is pretty welcoming. Welcome to the USA, btw! I hear Cali is pretty bad ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Generalizing much. The south was like that back in the 1800s. But Texans could careless if people have an accent or not. Heaven forbid, San Antonio has a HUGE racial demographic. Anywhere in the US is pretty welcoming. Welcome to the USA, btw! I hear Cali is pretty bad ass.
    Was thinking more Louisiana/Mississippi, but yes I shouldn't of generalized

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Accents here are everywhere. People don't even speak English and still live here. He won't have a hard time at all.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    im not gonna lie and say their is no racism, if anything its even worse during your highschool days. Highschool is the definition of judgement. and when I say jugdement, im speaking of it as a verb. people LOVE to judge others at this age, mostly because of their own insecurities but whatever the reason its a constant problem during those years and its just part of growing up. coming from a generally safe area/city (was on top 10 safest cities) their wasnt much physical bullying, if any at all coming from a ~ 2500 student highschool. there is all types of people though, and like others said you should really be yourself. part of the problem i had durning highschool was that i had troubles accepting myself for who I was, i was constantly worried about what others thought of me, which caused major anxiety and depression and brought a bad state in my life. after recuperating and ultimately growing up all together, i began to realize that what others think of you or how people judge you shouldnt matter. if you are bullied at this new school, just learn to ignore it. the best suggestion would be to realize that you arent what people say you are. if you get teased about being a nerd, dont let it get to you, just shove it away from your mind as if it was you were first eating green vegetables.

i try to relay this advice to all youngsters and the ones who havent fully experienced life so they dont go through the same mistakes i did. i made some very very bad choices when i was a kid, and deepfully regret it. i tried things i shouldnt of, i did things i shouldnt of, ect ect. so just remember, learn to ignore the negative things about life and just focus on your dreams. if your parents raised you well, you should know that life isnt about money, and america certainly isnt about getting rich. its about being happy, and with happiness, comes success. success also brings money, so another point i would make is that your goal shouldnt be to get rich or to bathe in money but rather to be happy and do what you love in life.
    PM me with any questions/concerns you may have.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike235 View Post
    hello, i recently moved to the states, i will be starting 11th grade in 3 months, and i am very nervous because i really dont know any1 here, its like starting school all over again, when when i was i young used to always get bullied and picked on cuz i was the teachers pet, so i hated school so much my marks started to drop and i lost my interest in studying in general, i hated sports that revolved around team work cuz no1 will ever pick me, my parents moved me to a new school around 7th grade, i loved every1 there and i made friends really quickly, i was really happy @ that stage of my life because i found out that it wasnt me it was the community in that old school, i became very popular and every1 there was like family, my marks went a bit higher but i wasnt into studying that much, my hate for sports ended when i was introduced to bodybuilding in 9th grade it really changed my life, my parents decided to move to USA @ the end of 10th grade, it was really difficult for me to leave all my friends, but i looked forward to it, because i come from a third world country, now i finally have an oppurtunity to fulfill my dreams, now to the point and i am suprised u read that far, i am afraid that i will be bullied and picked on again cuz i will be the '' new kid from a poor country'' since i see alot of racism in the world now,i see alot of shows on tv that display the high school system here as a social pyramid like the popular ppl and the nerds etc etc any opinions? how r the schools in california? any comments? and plz be seroius
    Not sure where in cali you're going but i grew up in San Diego and it's one of the best states to be from another country and fit right in b/c it truly is a melting pot in cali. Military pressence there has brought a lot of the world together so other than some odd jerks dont let that bother you. Best advice i can give is to just be you and enjoy the changes from what you're used to