Locked and Loaded for H Halfus.

Respecced from Holy to Smite Disc since most videos I watched rendered smite spam as a borderline necessity (makes the fight much easier they say). I got all my glyphs set up and even did a practice heroic, so I just need some last minute pointers since I raid in 13 minutes

- How should I heal? I was thinking of alternating Smite/Holy Fire with PoHs while penancing and shielding tanks and call it a day, don't know if there's anything else I could be missing. My priority however would be raid bubble with PoH and smite.

- Any special positioning my raid should attempt? I know there's a lot of fireballs and novas and things and stuff so pretty much people should stay spread out, right?

- Got 45% absorption from mastery, is that enough? I don't know how much more mastery I can get.

Thanks in advance, wish me luck

I would suggest you take my advice with a grain of salt. Since I am Shadow but, anyway here goes.

I'm going to assume that you and/or your guild is just now starting on H Halfus. In my last guild (when i did that fight as disc) the disc priest would set a PW: B rotation for the beginning of the fight and after the 50% mark before each set of Furious Roars. Same with PS.

How should I heal? I was thinking of alternating Smite/Holy Fire with PoHs while penancing and shielding tanks and call it a day, don't know if there's anything else I could be missing. My priority however would be raid bubble with PoH and smite.
    That should be fine.

Any special positioning my raid should attempt? I know there's a lot of fireballs and novas and things and stuff so pretty much people should stay spread out, right?
    Smart play, Not getting it by fire basically, which is especially easy for ranged. Just make sure all your tanks are within the range to benefit from the smite/holy fire heals and ya will be able to down it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is your healing and tank comp? Also, smite spec used to be a necessity before Halfus was nerfed in 4.0.6 but it should still work fine. If you are struggling you may want to try healing in the spec you're more comfortable.

The beginning of the can be very chaotic. Make sure your tanks, and you, are being vocal in vent and calling out when CDs are used and when Halfus is being traded. This will greatly increase the chances of success so you don't have CDs overlapping and being wasted. At 50% he will begin doing a Roar which will stun the group for 6(?) seconds. Watch your timers if you can. You may be able to get of a few instant casts but I would recommend getting a few precasted PoH, or if you haven't used PW:B call it out and have a few people spread out around the edge. Don't stack or you can take a lot of fire damage from the Proto.
    Now Casual Holy/Disc Priest: Summer of 2011

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for all the advice, we actually killed him after the 4th attempt. Our comp was DK/DK/Druid tanks and Disc/Holydin/Rsham healers. For the first part of the fight I focused mainly on PoHs and tank shields with penance and PW:B, while chaining my mana CDs to be above 70% mana by the time the first drake was down. By the time he had the first damage debuff on him, I started smiting and by the end of the fight (+4 debuffs) all we had to worry about was the aoe stun (which really hurts btw). But in the end we downed him with 20 seconds left on enrage timer

Our next stop is going to be Valiona next week, which from what I heard is a WAY more difficult encounter.

Congrats on the kill...but what I'm really here to say is that your name & avatar made me laugh.

Congrats on the kill...but what I'm really here to say is that your name & avatar made me laugh.
    She's my old cat. Had to give her to a friend because our new apartment didn't like pets and I think she died. So if you think about it you're looking at a creepy pic of a dead animal staring at you, watching, waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Slutty View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, we actually killed him after the 4th attempt. Our comp was DK/DK/Druid tanks and Disc/Holydin/Rsham healers. For the first part of the fight I focused mainly on PoHs and tank shields with penance and PW:B, while chaining my mana CDs to be above 70% mana by the time the first drake was down. By the time he had the first damage debuff on him, I started smiting and by the end of the fight (+4 debuffs) all we had to worry about was the aoe stun (which really hurts btw). But in the end we downed him with 20 seconds left on enrage timer

Our next stop is going to be Valiona next week, which from what I heard is a WAY more difficult encounter.
    congrats on the kill

Does your group have a rogue? If not, i really don't suggest doing Valiona second. Even with a rogue Valiona seems to be on par with Maloriak Atramedes, and maybe even Chimaeron ( Chimaeron can be a random fucking fight though)

I'd reccomend a haste based gearset for attonement builds, at least for halfus. Id def reccomend hitting up pretty much any BWD heroic besides omni/nef before hitting V&T, if only because the long run back makes quick attempts tough.. We went Halfus -> Chim -> Atramedes -> Mal -> Magmaw -> V&T in my 10, though realistically depending on comp you can easily swap chim/atra and mal/magmaw in terms of difficulty. While V&T may not be a whole lot different from normal (besides your downstairs team/rogue), alot of deaths while learning the fight will simply be one shots (dazzling destruction in twilight realm, deep breath, etc) and it can be a bit of a learning curve until you have your positioning/timig down.

She's my old cat. Had to give her to a friend because our new apartment didn't like pets and I think she died. So if you think about it you're looking at a creepy pic of a dead animal staring at you, watching, waiting...

omg thats both so sad and funny at the same time.. lol

Shielding your life since 2007 yo

congrats on the kill
    Thanks

Does your group have a rogue? If not, i really don't suggest doing Valiona second. Even with a rogue Valiona seems to be on par with Maloriak Atramedes, and maybe even Chimaeron ( Chimaeron can be a random fucking fight though)
    We do not in fact I also didn't consider it necessary since I haven't even looked up the fight. The lack of written information about it on wowpedia doesn't help either :/

I'd reccomend a haste based gearset for attonement builds, at least for halfus. Id def reccomend hitting up pretty much any BWD heroic besides omni/nef before hitting V&T, if only because the long run back makes quick attempts tough.. We went Halfus -> Chim -> Atramedes -> Mal -> Magmaw -> V&T in my 10, though realistically depending on comp you can easily swap chim/atra and mal/magmaw in terms of difficulty. While V&T may not be a whole lot different from normal (besides your downstairs team/rogue), alot of deaths while learning the fight will simply be one shots (dazzling destruction in twilight realm, deep breath, etc) and it can be a bit of a learning curve until you have your positioning/timig down.
    Thanks, I'll be reforging all my crit off then. The problem is that we're just starting on Nefarion and frankly, we don't seem to be making any progress. How hard is Ascendant Council on heroic?

Thanks, I'll be reforging all my crit off then. The problem is that we're just starting on Nefarion and frankly, we don't seem to be making any progress. How hard is Ascendant Council on heroic?

More guilds have killed Cho'gall Heroic than Ascendant Council on HC (that should say it all) - way more difficult than most HM's, actually by the kill meters it's the second hardest... involves a lot of cooldown rotation in the tanks and it has a huge learning curve (bigger than Omnotron HC?), that's all I read though
    Kaeldin the Flamebreaker, lvl 85 Blood Elf Priest [Grim Batol EU]

There is never enough haste to compensate for bad DPS or a stupid tank.
    You can't heal stupidity.

Council is mostly individual raid awareness, and a single person's mistake is an entire raid's wipe. It is one of the few heroics that is noticably easier in 10man, because there is more room to spread, less opportunities to mess up. However, it's also ruthless and healing-wise you will find yourself strained in the last phase to breaking point, and if your DPS isn't up to scratch there's pretty much nothing you can do to counter it. It isn't necessarily harder than Cho'Gall, it's just a lot more frustrating to wipe on.

Well then, guess we're kinda boned until we down Nefarion >_<

Hopefully we'll get him down tonight, thanks for all the replies.

Specc Holy. Tell your other two healers to keep the tanks up. Throw a heal (and shields) in on the tanks once in a while. Do the raid healing.
    Tell your guild to release 2 Dragons (Nether Scion, Storm Drake) and Whelps at start. Get a Demo Lock to bomb down those adds pretty damn fast.

That's how we do it with me as a holy averaging ~15-18k hps on the whole fight.