From Prot to Ret

Hello all, im part of a small 10 man raid guild that has lost one of our mellee dps recently, normally im a tank that dps for us on one tank fights, but now i might be switching to ret full time. Before as a tank i didnt worry as much about maxing out my dps/gear ect but now that i will be making the change i was hoping to get some feedback from the experienced rets here, on my gear/reforging.

my armory is: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...edreamz/simple

I know i have kind of an odd set, with some real nice items and some others that are not so good, not to mention a bunch of pvp stuff, any tips about gearing the right way would be much apreciated, also i have the alchemist trinket, not sure if that is better than either of the ones i have equiped. thx for the time, and any help.

10+ Year Old Account
    From my understanding of ret, you only gem Strength Gems.

I use this thread for checking pre-raid gear: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1827524118

This thread has nice ret info, including a rotation/spec/glyphs: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2112233498

Mastery is very close to crit in terms of weight with mastery being the better baring huge differences between the two.Mastery becomes much better than crit as your weapons get better . Haste is faaar below em both. I'll suggest http://wowreforge.com for optimizing but just a quick thing I spotted is that you reforge the crit of your chest to mastery instead of the haste which you definitely don't want to do .

tl;dr stats : Mastery > Crit > Haste.

---------- Post added 2011-05-04 at 04:44 AM ----------

Here's what I picked up from wowreforge for ya:

Neck : HitRating -> CritRating
    Shoulders : ExpertiseRating -> MasteryRating
    Back : MasteryRating -> HitRating
    Chest : HasteRating -> MasteryRating
    Wrists : ExpertiseRating -> MasteryRating
    Waist : CritRating -> HitRating
    Legs : HasteRating -> MasteryRating
    Feet : ParryRating -> HitRating
    Ring1 : HasteRating -> HitRating
    Trinket1 : ExpertiseRating -> MasteryRating
    WeaponMainHand : ExpertiseRating -> MasteryRating
    Range : CritRating -> MasteryRating

---------- Post added 2011-05-04 at 04:52 AM ----------

Make sure you have all your respective reputation enchants and the like, even on blues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like was said above always gem strength, except in cases that the socket grants a bonus of 10 or more strength. Then it is ok to gem strength/mastery.

Stat weights are as follows

Exp & hit (till cap)
    Strength
    Mastery
    Crit

Haste
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Deleted
    it's really strange, i know all about stats priority but I tried to use haste mastery combination over crit master (after hit and expertise cap obv) and my dps is increased....

10+ Year Old Account
    Was it so hard to look in the sticky? These sort of questions have been asked and answered 1000 times at least. Also "to my understanding ret paladins gem str" is not gonna anwser his question. It's same as me going in the rogue forums and saying to my understanding for mutilate you need dagers.

thanks for the responses, especially mr floross, i re did my reforging as u recomoneded, forgot i didnt have a shoulder enchant either, so ty much

Quote Originally Posted by Siral View Post
    it's really strange, i know all about stats priority but I tried to use haste mastery combination over crit master (after hit and expertise cap obv) and my dps is increased....
    Can you please stop with these posts? Target dummy results with a limited sample size don't prove anything. This is not the first time I've seen you post this. You aren't helping anyone out. Until you can provide real data supporting your claim, please keep it to yourself. The "real data" needed is a whole lot more than a few minutes on a target dummy.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD