Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

The Elder Scrolls IV vs The Witcher

*zips some morning-coffee*

Hello fellow mmo-champs.... I was planning on doing a couple of rpg titles that I've missed out on (please don't flame me because of this) and was wondering which of the two mentioned in the title I should try out. I've narrowed it down to these two, based on what many claim to be the best rpg titles for some time now. Also preparing for the sequels planned this year for both games.

*nomnoms on a "kanelbulle"*

One thing I've noticed, and that I would like someone to clarify for me - what's up with all the mods for TES IV? Do I really need to get a bunch of these to enjoy the game by today's standards or what?

*needs more coffee*

Please for the love of all that is holy, let me know if I'm crazy going back to games as old as these. People always seem to have a special place for their favourite games and therefore associate their feelings from past when commenting on a game. But as I've never played any of these games before, my first impression will be based by current standards, does this mean I'm gonna get disappointed either way?

*gets back to work.../shrug*
    Last edited by mmoc7116eda3f9; 2011-05-04 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Spelling iz hardz

Deleted
    I'm a The Witcher fan BUT it looks as an outdated Hack'n'Slash right now and you may get bored. Even if you have a good pc, even if you get the enhanced edition, the game has still plenty of bugs and looooong loading screens.
    Oblivion is overrated/underrated, depends your point of view, but is definitely a masterpiece. Mods can make it better but aren't that important.

Take Oblivion with you, since The Witcher 2 is about to come, so after this summer you'll be ready to Skyrim
    Just one suggestion: avoid the main quest, focus all to the guilds and secondary missions.

Good game ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Never tried the wticher, but yes mods for Oblivion is what makes it outperform the console version, when it comes to the pc version, not alone can you alter fight styles, you can enhance the looks of npc's or your pc, you can get new races with other benefites, you can get a ton of new spells (midas mod, check it out) which have new cool animations and effects, dragons, new quests, new weapons and armors, you can basically get so many things to improve the game.

So I would say Elder's Scroll IV: Oblivion, might wanna check out some of the mods first, btw Kanelbulle is named Cinamon bun in english I think.

And as H0lyshadow said, Do side quests, they are much more enjoyable to do before the main quest instead of after, played around 500 hours of oblivion myself, so I know what I am speaking of.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moeller View Post
    Never tried the wticher, but yes mods for Oblivion is what makes it outperform the console version, when it comes to the pc version, not alone can you alter fight styles, you can enhance the looks of npc's or your pc, you can get new races with other benefites, you can get a ton of new spells (midas mod, check it out) which have new cool animations and effects, dragons, new quests, new weapons and armors, you can basically get so many things to improve the game.
    Got any more suggestions for good mods?

So I would say Elder's Scroll IV: Oblivion, might wanna check out some of the mods first, btw Kanelbulle is named Cinamon bun in english I think.
    Riiiight... cinnamon bun, had it on my tongue but couldn't remember at the time :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well deadly reflex has always been nice, can't go that much into detail before I get home, I need my OBMM to tell you more specificly, (Oblivion mod manager, a must have)

10+ Year Old Account
    When i first played the witcher a few years ago, i hated it.. it blew my mind how people could like this crap
    then i thought: hey, maybe ive judged it too harshly, ill try it again

so i did, and a few hours later i was hooked, its an awesome game, but it is somewhat boring/confusing right at the beginning.

Ive played through oblivion a few times, but i never really felt it was "that great", also i experienced alot of bugs during quests that prevented me from completing them and with all its mods, its a good game, but i didnt feel like it was anything spectacular

Id say go with the witcher to prep for witcher 2.

oblivion>witcher!! all the way.

yeah played both, but there is just so much more possibilities in oblivion! and well... its just fucking epic!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by h0lyshadow View Post
    I'm a The Witcher fan BUT it looks as an outdated Hack'n'Slash right now and you may get bored. Even if you have a good pc, even if you get the enhanced edition, the game has still plenty of bugs and looooong loading screens.
    Lies. He must have some really crappy PC if he's got long loading screens in the enhanced edition. Yes, I agree, the original version of the game had really long load screens but in the Enhanced Edition, you hardly notice the load screens.

As for Oblivion, I found it to be a horrendous game. First of all, everything in the game was butt ugly. There is only model used in the game, be it human or elf or male or female, its the same recoloured face. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little but the game seems broken without mods and there are the awful game mechanics.
    The sequel Skyrim releasing this year looks good but I facepalmed as soon as I found out its another RPG with dragons playing a major part or theme. Anyway, I hope its not as bad as its predecessor.

As for the sequel to Witcher releasing this month looks absolutely stunning. And they say there are hardly any loadscreens in the game. I believe its going to be a phenomenon, a breakthrough and an achievement in the history of RPGs. Even in case it won't sell well bcoz of it being PC exclusive, nobody could deny its greatness. I hope I'm not wrong being all hyped about Witcher 2.

As for the conclusion, I strongly suggest you buy The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut (only that version coz its like a super patched and fixed version + uncensored) and enjoy it before the sequel releases.

"King Varian, you wish to make war on my people!? You shall have your war, human. You will see the fury of the Horde rage through your cities. You will see your throne split in two! This I swear!" -Thrall, patch 4.2.0

The Witcher is so much better than Oblivion, in my opinion, but they're both really great games so you can't go wrong with either one. =)

Oblivion has no invisible walls, but Witcher's combat is even more stupid that Oblivion's, as if it's only possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it funny how people are dissing oblvion, yet we who like oblivion have yet to diss the witcher, anywho, as I mentioned before, mods can fix most problems with oblivion if you are really into it, like me, I thoink I have spent an averege of 20 hours on fixing, getting the right mods and installing them, a long process, which I rather enjoyed, but the game is now awesome.
    oh and Neoscorpio, don't get too hpyed about the witcher 2, it might go down a sink drain like everyother overhyped fps or rpg out there, just saying.

Still I prefer dragon age when it comes to rpg, I got a strict story line to follow, which is cool, but I can still mod my game + it looks absolutely great

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moeller View Post
    Still I prefer dragon age when it comes to rpg, I got a strict story line to follow, which is cool, but I can still mod my game + it looks absolutely great
    Are we talking Origins or DA2?

10+ Year Old Account
    I gave The Witcher a try a while back and I found the combat system to be hideous. I simply couldn't stand playing it. The rest of the game looked pretty promising though.
    Oblivion on the other hand is pretty straight forward and sandboxy. I won't compare the games any further since I never played more than an hour of The Witcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astralvibe View Post
    One thing I've noticed, and that I would like someone to clarify for me - what's up with all the mods for TES IV? Do I really need to get a bunch of these to enjoy the game by today's standards or what?
    Oblvion has mods for everything and anything, some which enhance the gameplay substantially and some which are just plain stupid and bad. Personally I prefer playing with as few mods as possible, having too many can get very unorganized and frustrating. OBMM is a tool that helps install and organize mods, it's a must have if you plan to get more than a few mods.

Some I recommend are:

• Deadly Reflex, which Moeller mentioned.
    • Unique Landscapes, adds a lot of fantastic little places to the wilderness.
    • If you plan to do more than one playthrough; get a Alternative Start mod. The "tutorial" should be done the first time playing since it has story elements, but believe me, you'll learn to hate it.
    • Weather - All Natural. There are a few mods that enhances weather effects, but this is in my opinion perhaps the best.

Oblivion as-is is pretty famous for being buggy, it's recommended to get the patches, both the official and the unofficial official, some mods even require it.
    Lastly, as I said, there's probably more mods than you could dream of. Head over to TESNexus, you should be able to find all I listed and many more there.

Quote Originally Posted by Astralvibe
    Please for the love of all that is holy, let me know if I'm crazy going back to games as old as these.
    You make it sound like sound like Oblivion is several decades old. D:
    Last edited by Dosa; 2011-05-04 at 11:45 AM. Reason: tidytidy

If you want RPG with rather plenty of C&C and interesting world, The Witcher

If you want to adventure randomly in a generic forests and tunnels that are identical to one another, Oblivion is the way to go.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    oblivion is almost perfect. the expansion "the shivering isles" might be a little bit short but overall quite great.

so i hope the tes 6: skyrim will be as great as oblivion. available screenshots of skyrim look pretty good

I'd say go with The Witcher.

While I did pump 90 hours into oblivion (unmodded right when it came out), I was bored out of my mind the whole time. Why did I even play past the first few hours, you ask? My love for RPG's and partial OCD allowed(forced) me to numb the boredom and just grind my way through it (oh and I became a vampire which I will admit jumping from roof top to roof top was fun for a while). Combat was tedious and you never really got stronger (monsters level with you) which I loathed.

The Witcher, however, I enjoyed the main story thoroughly (found the side quests uninteresting cheap extensions of the game, though I completed them all). Combat was (more) enjoyable for the most part and you got to really make use of those potions (What was that one...I think Blizzard or something that slowed down everything (enemies were slowed more than you, as the point was to make you faster than them)) which added to the fun.

Bottom line, I view Oblivion as a subpar, dull game and The Witcher as a moderately fun game with a much more enjoyable story (and I actually like when you play a (partially or fully) pre-defined character in RPGs)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirago View Post
    oblivion is almost perfect. the expansion "the shivering isles" might be a little bit short but overall quite great.

so i hope the tes 6: skyrim will be as great as oblivion. available screenshots of skyrim look pretty good
    it's number 5 actually, unless I missed an elder's scroll?!

They're quite vastly different games... honestly, I don't even know if, outside of their alchemy metagames, they're at all similar really. Kinda hard to compare them.

If exploring is really your thing, Oblivion will absolutely fit the bill. The world is gargantuan and quite rich in its lore, though I do recommend using a mod that takes out the godawful system in which monsters level with you and match your level. They're thankfully ditching that system for Skyrim.

The Witcher is a very cerebral game, with a lot of very grey moral choices. Something that seems right might not truly be the morally right choice, when viewed later again and with more knowledge of the situation. It has a very enjoyable story and a very fleshed out cast of characters, as opposed to Oblivion which focuses much more on the world and less on its inhabitants.

Both are excellent games in their own right, and I recommend trying to play both if you do eventually have the chance.

EDIT: And no, you certainly are not crazy for going back to old games. I recently played the entire Xenogears saga (OLD GAMES) because I'd managed to miss them all while focused on school/college.

I'm gonna have to say both.In fact since Witcher 2 is almost out,you could start with the Witcher so you get some continuity and after you're done with both get Oblivion (with the Shivering Isles).Depending on how much time you invest you can be done with all these games by November for the Skyrim release.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought oblivion was bad and the witcher was pretty damn great.