Deleted

New computer, a little help needed :D

Hey guys, I've been reading these forums for a while now, but now time has come to register since I need your help
    Im planning on getting myself a new computer and wanted to ask all of you who know what they're doing, whether this system is ok or not. (not only for WoW, playing pretty much everything )

So here are the specs:

CPU: i5 -2500k
    MoBo: Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev.3
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 Dominator DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-10667U CL7-7-7-20 @1333Mhz
    GPU: MSI Nvidia 580GTX Lightning
    PSU: Corsair 650W TXV2
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OR Scythe Ninja 3 (which one is better in Terms of Overclocking the 2500k on air?)
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB
    Case: Thermaltake Element G (pretty neat since its got Cooling implemented?!)

So here are my questions:
    - Since the Thermaltake is a Midi Tower, will it be big enough (especially since the GTX580 needs ± 3 Slots as I heard?)
    - Is the Lightning GTX worth it?
    - Does anyone have any experience with the Element G Series (are the fans ok?)
    - Should I take RAM @ 1600 Mhz?
    - Should I take the Sabertooth instead of the P8P67?
    - And of course, do all those components play together well? I'm gonna order it in parts and build it together on my own so I don't want to risk any mistakes there
    I want to play with Nvidia 3D Vision aswell, but that shouldn't be that much of a deal, right?
    Feel free to comment on anything you think doesn't really fit in there, or is too much or whatever!

And maybe something on the price: I'm in Austria, paying 1250€ for the setup (including a Samsung DVD drive, but ok ) Do you think its too much?
    I guess there are enough threads on the i5 vs i7 thing, I got convinced to buy the i5 since I do no video editing and my music stuff is on my Mac, so I guess i5 is just the better choice.

Thank you very much
    Klobischt
    Last edited by mmoc24dc7777a3; 2011-05-04 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klobischt View Post
    - Since the Thermaltake is a Midi Tower, will it be big enough (especially since the GTX580 needs ± 3 Slots as I heard?)
    Amount of slots it takes dont mean much, the length of the card is what's the problem with some cases. Not sure about the case you picked but the manufacturer's site should have info of how long card you can use with it, and then cross-check with the length of the card from that manufacturer's site.

- Is the Lightning GTX worth it?
    I would say no. Talking about totally reference clockspeeds here, the GTX580 runs about 15% faster in games than GTX570, but costs 50% more. That's really bad price/performance ratio what you'll be paying for a top of the line card.

- Should I take RAM @ 1600 Mhz?
    If the price difference is small, why not. But it's not worth paying much extra for it. RAM speed does not make much difference unless you're into overclocking or using the computer for serious hours/days long 3d rendering jobs.

- Should I take the Sabertooth instead of the P8P67?
    Sabretooth has less features than P8P67 Deluxe, so why bother? It's just in a fancy package. Also unless you need the USB3 panel in front and the 2nd NIC you could drop the Deluxe for Pro version of the board and save money on it.

- And of course, do all those components play together well?
    Shouldn't be any problems.

I want to play with Nvidia 3D Vision aswell, but that shouldn't be that much of a deal, right?
    You need 120Hz monitor and the shutter glasses for it, nothing in the computer parts you picked so far is gonna be a problem. 3d is mostly a gimmick still in games and movies, so I'd recommend trying it out somewhere first before spending too much money on a fancy toy. Especially in WoW it sucks donkey balls, or so 'they' say.

And outside the questions:
    - Take WD Caviar Black or Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD instead. Caviar Blue is way below the other components of your setup.
    - If you're considering or planning SLI with GTX570/580 cards, take 850W PSU now, the 650W is not gonna cut it.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-05-04 at 11:16 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    THx for your quick reply

Yeah I'm trying to find some specs on the inside of the Thermaltake (I really fell in love with it, it looks cool and isn't too expensive + it's cooling seems to be quite good)
    To the GPU: well, I somehow want to put a 580 in there, but not sure which one... the Asus ones seem to be good aswell, I just thougt of this one since its stock OCed.
    The RAM: k, I'm gonna put 1600 in there, they seem to be even cheaper? Corsair XMS3 Dominator DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-12800U CL8-8-8-24, would fit into the P8P67 I think?
    MoBo will stay the P8P67 Del. R3
    PSU: yeah, I'll think about it, atm I don't plan on going SLI, but who knows what future brings...
    and the HDD is swapped for a Caviar Black!
    Good to hear all those things fit together, was really time consuming to pick them

for 3D vision: I know, I already had a PC and played 3D Vision, all the stuff is lying around here, since my old GPU got killed once again and now I decided to build a completely new system!

Further opinions welcome ;D
    Last edited by mmoc24dc7777a3; 2011-05-04 at 11:46 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have the money to be buying the Deluxe version mobo, and a GTX580 for instance, I'd really suggest you get an SSD, at least like a 60 GB one or something, and then a HDD for data storage. It will make your computing experience better and faster.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Yeah I already thought about taking an SSD... guess thats the way to go

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the DEluxe? Are you planning to SLI later on? if not, go for a cheaper mobo and throw more into an SSD. Ideally I'd say go for the 570, a Pro board or sabertooth and add the rest into another SSD to run in raid.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I already thought about taking an SSD... guess thats the way to go
    Trust me when I, or anyone else here says, you wouldn't regret it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Yeah, planning on buying a SSD now, but the PRO does have Gigabit Lan as far as i know... so this really is an option, just changing the deluxe for the pro

Deleted
    Nah the price is quite ok, since I do indeed plan on SLI in the future, changed the 650 for a 850PSU for that reason already.