Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bad players in dungeon finder

Bad players in dungeon finder
    If you run pick up groups then it's inevitable that, in the course of playing World of Warcraft, you'll eventually run into a player who is less skilled or knowledgeable than yourself. Obviously, there are a lot of ways to deal with that situation, ranging from the cruel to the kind.

My personal approach runs toward the kind end of the spectrum, because I think that my World of Warcraft experience is improved when everyone I'm in a group with is having fun. I also believe that by volunteering information, I improve my potential future pick up groups too. It's sort of a pay-it-forward, be-the-change-you-want-to-see kind of thing... There's an added benefit in that my vote kick also gets saved for players who truly deserve it, such as those who are genuinely rude, or who are simply griefing.

The vast majority of the dungeons I've been in have run smoothly. In those situations where I can see that a player is struggling though, I take the initiative and explain the fight, including their specific role. I whisper them and let them know they can ask me questions, and I won't blow up on them. If they aren't performing to a level where beating a fight is possible, I've even let players know that we need to replace them, as well as why. I've actually had players bow out in those situations where they weren't able to perform. Most of the time, the player who was struggling was just a little confused, and steps up and makes it work. Personally, I find those runs much more fun and gratifying than a simple speed run full of over-geared players. There could be something wrong with me.

Anyway, I digress. My bottom line is that it's amazing what you can accomplish just by treating others with a little dignity.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I laugh at the snake oil they're selling with this. How about the runs where a hour instance turns into hours? How about those pvp geared healers and tanks that don't have the avoidance or regen to properly heal new 5 mans? How about when you offer that advice and people get mad and go off about it? Blizz is only showing one side of this.

I thought this was going to be a QQ post ranting about 'baddies'. Thank you. You make good points about the treatment of others. Unfortunately a lot of online gaming is kids being kids.

It's refreshing when someone comes out and acts human. I was so ready to read one sentence and leave to avoid seeing another douchebag rant. I feel warm and fuzzy now.

Deleted
    I dunno, the blue post matches my experiences well enough. The worst I've seen is a priest who stood on one of the cannons on the Worgen boss in Deadmines, causing him to evade bug from 40%ish to 100%, twice. And the guy only had 85k mana, so that was pretty much a wipe. By god he didn't do it again the next time though. By and large people make mistakes because they're not aware of stuff, not because they're stupid or ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blazto View Post
    I laugh at the snake oil they're selling with this. How about the runs where a hour instance turns into hours? How about those pvp geared healers and tanks that don't have the avoidance or regen to properly heal new 5 mans? How about when you offer that advice and people get mad and go off about it? Blizz is only showing one side of this.
    The amount of people that want to play the game and have fun are greater than the people that only play the game to grief others.

When you doubt every person that plays the game, and doesn't perform just as well as you, you miss the fact that they could just be new, dont care, or just uninformed. You can easily compare this to how someone will label someone a troll just because of certain point of views.

Stop trying to label people, and if your not having fun with the game log out.

Yeah, you might see some of the players you are complaining about, but they are far from the majority. If you dont like how your random group is formed, create your own group.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosfraba View Post
    I thought this was going to be a QQ post ranting about 'baddies'. Thank you. You make good points about the treatment of others. Unfortunately a lot of online gaming is kids being kids.

It's refreshing when someone comes out and acts human. I was so ready to read one sentence and leave to avoid seeing another douchebag rant. I feel warm and fuzzy now.
    Actually it is a qq post, sort of. The bit above the -------- is a Blizzard blue poster, the bit below is the OP's own take on it.

My main is a tank. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and be a bit patient with them. I can usually adapt the pulls anyway.

When I queue with my Lock alt, and get a fail-group, I just bail. 30 minute queue is far better then 2 hours of constant repair bills.

what I can't stand is when players decide to just be lazy and not even read up on tactics or anything.

I went to the trouble of looking up the fights, and it really only takes 20 minutes to watch all the content to be aware... why can't they? At least when I got to the bosses for the first time I had a pretty good idea of what I was doing.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikeyou View Post
    The amount of people that want to play the game and have fun are greater than the people that only play the game to grief others.

When you doubt every person that plays the game, and doesn't perform just as well as you, you miss the fact that they could just be new, dont care, or just uninformed. You can easily compare this to how someone will label someone a troll just because of certain point of views.

Stop trying to label people, and if your not having fun with the game log out.

Yeah, you might see some of the players you are complaining about, but they are far from the majority. If you dont like how your random group is formed, create your own group.
    Ok first the complaining as you call it is fact. Try to heal that pvp geared tank in ZA/ZG. The pvp gear to get ilvl high enough is very real. Just like your name says, you're very negative. I didn't label not one type of person besides saying pvp gear lacked stats for pve. Next time you try to to get at someone try to use other things besides tunnel visioned emotions as your defense.

---------- Post added 2011-05-04 at 02:20 PM ----------

Sorry yes the first part is a blue post that's on the front page of MMO. But I assumed ppl read it. To anyone commenting about I saying it's from Daxxarri, maybe, you proved Willelm's point.
    Last edited by blazto; 2011-05-04 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willelm View Post
    what I can't stand is when players decide to just be lazy and not even read up on tactics or anything.

I went to the trouble of looking up the fights, and it really only takes 20 minutes to watch all the content to be aware... why can't they? At least when I got to the bosses for the first time I had a pretty good idea of what I was doing.
    A lot of people don't know about the various online resources which can explain the tactics of a fight.

Some people prefer to explore and experience ZA and ZG and learn and develop the tactics as you go along

10+ Year Old Account
    Last night I ran ZG with one guildie and 3 randoms, sounds like a nightmare eh? Well, not really. Unfortunately some people dont have any patience. Both ZA and ZG feel like raids to me still. Takes awhile to complete them. First, the rogue dc'd for a long time and didnt come back. Kicked and replaced with an elemental shaman. Then the healer decided after trying the first (poison) boss a couple of times that he wasnt up to the task. Replaced with a druid and one-shot. Then the warrior left after a wipe on the 2nd boss. Replaced with a dk. One shot.

Many people have been unable to complete ZA and ZG due to a) not knowing the fights or having someone willing to explain, or b) having a competent tank and/or healer.

But i digress, after those couple of wipes we one shot everything up to Jin'do. Because people starting paying attention to my explanations. Jin'do is always a learning experience. Takes a couple of wipes before ppl get the idea of Body Slam and their positioning. But? 2 wipes and we finished, got our 140 Valors and yes, I got thanked by all 3 of the randoms for teaching them the fights and sticking with it. I don't have time to teach them to play their class, but luckily, those people left without being prompted. The moral? I want the gear and I want the badges for my alts. Giving up and going emo isn't going to get me those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Yes, she would destroy me and my raging boner.
    In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I gave up trying to help obviously less skilled players in LFD grps . Everyone either claims they know what to do then don't do it properly or it turns into a dick measuring contest which rolls into back and forth trolling between group members. Not to mention you get the players trying to be elitists but they are just as unskilled as the player they are trying to put down.

Also I'm tired of tanking heroics on my alt for 3 hours then I finally see the drop I needed only to lose it to the 5k dps DK/ret or the holy paladin( not exaggerating ),,,BLizz needs to fix the need/greed.

Made by dubbelbasse

That's an approach for people who have huge amounts of time to deal with it. While I have no problems explaining a newer player how to play while I am idling around anyways I don't want to spend hours and hours in a ridiculously easy heroic dungeon. My last dungeon tool group consisted of a by no means horribly undergeared shadow that was casting Mindspike only and a warrior that seemed to know only Mortal strike - their combined dps was around ~10k which is just a bad joke and sure I would have now the option to try to explain them their rotation but seriously this isn't worth my time in that situation especially when at least 7/10 take it like you just insulted their mothers or are unteachable to begin with.

I don't think I've ever been outwardly hurtful to another player, if I'm in a group that is struggling, I'll usually whisper the person. If I get no response, I take it public and say something (politely) in party chat. If I still get no response or see no improvement, I'll initiate a vote to kick, but I never post anything rude or defamatory in the reasoning; if the vote fails, I'll usually leave.

An example: Last night, I queue for a random on my Prot Palain and get Vortex Pinnacle, my party consists of a decently geared Holy Paladin, a decently geared Death Knight DPS, and an adequately geared Warlock/Hunter duo from the same guild... "No big deal," I think to myself, "I've ran VP numerous times and it is a fairly simple place; the Healer and the DK (along with myself) should be able to carry the other two, as long as they CC"... I ensure that everyone had been there before, and then I explain marks: "<Hunter's Name> please trap {Square}, <Warlock's Name> please banish or fear {Triangle}." The first pull's CC goes off without a hitch, but it feels like an eternity to kill all of the targets. I had recently turned off all my addons (redoing my UI) so I had no idea how the DPS were doing, but I can't imagine any of them were over 7k. From there on out, it was a struggle pull to pull. The Warlock never again banished or feared, even though I reminded him before EVERY pull; the Hunter CC'd fine, but he seemed completely oblivious to the fact that I requested several times for him to turn off his Rhino's tanking abilities, which probably wouldn't have been a problem if he hadn't sent his Rhino at {X} each time; and finally, the DK also targetted {X} each time, apparently I forgot to mention that {Skull} then {X} was the kill order. We got to the first boss after 15 minutes, wiped at 75% and I dropped group... I felt bad, because the Holy Paladin did an excellent job of keeping everyone (including the Hunter's pet) alive each pull, which couldn't have been an easy task seeing as how the DK and the pet were constantly tanking mobs because they didn't focus {Skull}.

TL;DR: Even when I'm in terrible groups that won't CC or attack {Skull}, I try to remain calm. If people refuse to improve or ignore my advice, I'll leave rather than try and force a kick.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-05-04 at 03:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok first the complaining as you call it is fact. Try to heal that pvp geared tank in ZA/ZG. The pvp gear to get ilvl high enough is very real. Just like your name says, you're very negative. I didn't label not one type of person besides saying pvp gear lacked stats for pve. Next time you try to to get at someone try to use other things besides tunnel visioned emotions as your defense.
    It is a fact that there are players in a random dungeon group are going to play how they want to, and only restricted by the system in place. You can avoid the added stress by *gasp* creating your own group. Of course you didnt label anyone directly, you did it indirectly.

On to the fact that you want to flame me for being negative, which I made bold for you. I believe you were the one that posted a negative response towards a comment made by Daxxarri. I was not trying to 'get someone'. I was just responding to your post. In no way was I negative, unless you figure giving people a chance is negative.

You can always kick the players that are not even trying to play the game, and making it a horrible experience for you. I have no issue starting a vote kick, when I want to. I deal with people with subpar gear, and I a tank.

The lack of response to my comment, and trying to be my therapist was just poor taste. Tell me, can you kick players when the need arises, and when you want to? If not, what stops you from forming your own group?
    Last edited by Idontlikeyou; 2011-05-04 at 03:45 PM.

Deleted
    I love all these posts about "the issues with the dungeon finder". Blizzard can't fix PEOPLE, that's the job of the PLAYERS.

Blizzard can't hold your hand with everything. If you want to make a difference then start teaching people how to play. Those who are too dumb to be taught, just kick them.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    A lot of people don't know about the various online resources which can explain the tactics of a fight.

Some people prefer to explore and experience ZA and ZG and learn and develop the tactics as you go along
    This sounds really good on (e)paper but then you've got someone standing before a boss asking for tactics, or not asking for tactics and being confused as to what to do and how the fight mechanics even work (and wiping the group). While I don't want to roflstomp through stuff, and am forgiving to wiping, I really don't want to be running one instance for over an hour, working on a boss because the guy who doesn't know the tactics is wiping us and not learning from his mistakes. That just says inconsiderate to me. Plus, you've always got that player screaming that everyone in the group besides them are retarded and generally throwing out all sorts of insults.

If someone's at a boss and asking for tactics they could have JUST as easily gone and watched the youtube video for it. In fact, that would be MUCH better considering they'd actually get to see the fight rather than get garbled instructions. I can understand new players not knowing resources but usually I say something like, "You can go to wowwiki for tactics or search on youtube if you want to see what it will look like." but they don't want to because that will take too much time.

Oh well!
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by john67 View Post
    Blizzard can't fix PEOPLE, that's the job of the PLAYERS
    Inclined to agree

Im glad you like to teach, i myself have given up on LFD, my personal view is If it cant be gotten from a raid I don't need it. I tried the new heroics same people there, got told on my hunter to leave ZG, go respec SV (Im dual spec'd MM for PvE/PvP) because the warlock didnt want to AoE on Jin'do. When I told the random group I wasn't going to respec and they could live with MM's crappy multishop and a trap they didn't say anything, but the healer refused to heal me. When I questioned him he said either go respec or die. Seems to me the player base is still worthless in randoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikeyou View Post
    It is a fact that there are players in a random dungeon group are going to play how they want to, and only restricted by the system in place. You can avoid the added stress by *gasp* creating your own group. Of course you didnt label anyone directly, you did it indirectly.

On to the fact that you want to flame me for being negative, which I made bold for you. I believe you were the one that posted a negative response towards a comment made by Daxxarri. I was not trying to 'get someone'. I was just responding to your post. In no way was I negative, unless you figure giving people a chance is negative.

You can always kick the players that are not even trying to play the game, and making it a horrible experience for you. I have no issue starting a vote kick, when I want to. I deal with people with subpar gear, and I a tank.

The lack of response to my comment, and trying to be my therapist was just poor taste. Tell me, can you kick players when the need arises, and when you want to? If not, what stops you from forming your own group?

Didn't want to go here but you leave me no choice. I was talking about how Daxxarri sugar coated it. Not once did I say I wouldn't vote to kick or that I didn't know my options to get a successful group. There are many other threads talking about what you put into my comment.

Deleted
    Didn't want to go here but you leave me no choice. I was talking about how Daxxarri sugar coated it. Not once did I say I wouldn't vote to kick or that I didn't know my options to get a successful group. There are many other threads talking about what you put into my comment.
    But what the guy says is true. *Most* of the time if you just explain stuff nicely, players will go along with it. Sure there are those who just rage at you or ignore you, but they're idiots. And not surprisingly Blizzard employees aren't allowed to go on the record calling some of their playerbase idiots